Gibson Brands Forums

Who has your favorite Les Paul tone?

csbullock

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me. Really' date=' and I'm not bragging or trying to be a smartass or anything. If I liked someone else's tone better, I'd probably be trying to sound more like them (although I'll admit to having some similarities to Billy Gibbon' tone...).

[/quote']

But that's the point, actually.

I think that every know and then I dial one of the best SG sounds ever. I'm far from getting the best Tele tones in the world, but I've got some mojo working.

Seriously, I wish people could hear what comes out of my amps sometimes.

If I liked someone else's tone better' date=' I'd probably be trying to sound more like them [/quote']

Yes! This is why I said Axe. One of the first videos I saw after I got my LP was Axe on stage. I liked it enough to alter my tone.

=P~

Jerry Cantrell

Whoo Hoo! Jerry getting some recognition :-k

Love his playing, songwriting, and tone... seems like a great guy as well.

My favorites are Billy Howerdell, Adam Jones, Jerry Cantrell, David Gilmour (he plays a p90 equipped goldtop sometimes =P~ , and Neil Young. If i had to choose one though it'd most likely be Howerdell during his APC stints.

There are many' date=' many great Les Paul tones.

For a cleaner Les Paul tone: Snowy White.

[/quote']

+1 for Snowy White. Very much underated.

Also the obvious ones, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Slash, Neil Young and Frank Hannon, who also deserves more recognition.

WoW! You guys already hit the nail on the head with all of those guys. So many of my favorites mentioned here. Tom Scholz had some tone to die for in the mid 70's on the first two Boston albums.

+1 to that, however, Tom Scholz had a unique self-made tone all its own that may not even be considered a Les Paul tone. Though it would be nice if it were.

I do... But I try to sound like Alex Lifeson when I'm playing Rush songs' date=' so I guess Alex Lifeson.[/quote']

Alex is a great choice. I gotta say his full bore jump to LP's, to me, improved their songs live. He's got a lot of things going on in his signal chain, but there's no denying the added bottom end his LP playing has contributed.

I think it added the extra Rock dimension that RUSH was kinda missing. He got part way there with PRS's and finished it once and for all by goin all the way with LP's.

Alex is a great choice. I gotta say his full bore jump to LP's' date=' to me, improved their songs live. He's got a lot of things going on in his signal chain, but there's no denying the added bottom end his LP playing has contributed.

I think it added the extra Rock dimension that RUSH was kinda missing. He got part way there with PRS's and finished it once and for all by goin all the way with LP's. [/quote']

+1 to that. I didn't like his Fender era very much, in fact I kinda lost touch during that time. But seing their concert in St. Louis in August 2007 (exclusively Gibson and 99% Les Pauls) was awesome.

Archived