Gibson Brands Forums

Who has your favorite Les Paul tone?

csbullock

+1 to that. I didn't like his Fender era very much' date=' in fact I kinda lost touch during that time. But seing their concert in St. Louis in August 2007 (exclusively Gibson and 99% Les Pauls) was awesome.[/quote']

Check this : Rush drool ! Photo collage from that tour I found on the Rush forum ages ago. It's killer LP pics !

http://www.martymoffatt.com/Rush2007Wembley01/

That's the tour I saw in Vancouver, WA July '07. Open backed outdoor ampitheater, Unbelieveable acoustics that made a killer band sound even more killer.

He had about 5 or or LP stds (Goldtop, Tobacco, 2 cherry sunbursts, and two pre-Axcess Floyded Stds (wonder if they were protypes?), a custom or two and his ES and the acoustic and the Glockenscccccchhhhhppppppeelll ( what cool word)

Later,

Long Live Alex !!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex is a great choice. I gotta say his full bore jump to LP's' date=' to me, improved their songs live. He's got a lot of things going on in his signal chain, but there's no denying the added bottom end his LP playing has contributed.

I think it added the extra Rock dimension that RUSH was kinda missing. He got part way there with PRS's and finished it once and for all by goin all the way with LP's. [/quote']

+1 Well diagnosed. I saw them in '07 & '08 in Atlanta. He still gets the soaring highs, but not the shrillness that sometimes comes with the strats and PRS guitars. My favorite LP on the tour was what appeared to be a "Vintage" sunburst LP Standard. It was too cool. The LPs with the Floyds sounded amazing.

Man.. I couldn't pick just one.

I love the sound Mark Tremonti had with Creed. Even though Scott Stapp is a f'ing tool, I liked Creed's sound because of Tremonti. Don't care for his new Alter Bridge stuff.. I think he defected over to the PRS side since.

Don't leave out Gary Rossington from Skynyrd. He was a faithful lp player.Allen,Ed and Steve switched around alot with fender and gibson. Garys lp on their live album in 1976 was perfect. I saw one early video where he was playing a goldtop. Peter Frampton would also be on top.

Well, not to toot my own horn, but if you go to my 'Click page, and scare up "Funky Armadillo", THAT is the tone I've been hunting for most of my guitar playing life, and it was done with the sorely missed Goldtop. Kinda reminds me of Jimmy Page meets Billy Gibbons, just that really crunchy,fuzzy, slightly clipped tone that pleases my ear anyway. BUT, I still have my beloved Gibiphone (a.k.a. Blue Bomber), and it comes MIGHTY close. But I would have to say my most sought after Les Paul tone would be to emulate Page's sound in the tune "Heartbreaker".

hi. im new to the gibson forum.

i love the jimmy page les paul tone for rock and blues.

for more vintage sound i love clapton bluesbreaker tone.

i have to say, joe bonomassa has an excellent dirty bluesy tone.

i dont want to use this thread to ask a question. but can you change the grover tuners on a lespaul as a quick swap with vintage, i believe they are kluson???

Check this : Rush drool ! Photo collage from that tour I found on the Rush forum ages ago. It's killer LP pics !

http://www.martymoffatt.com/Rush2007Wembley01/

That's the tour I saw in Vancouver' date=' WA July '07. Open backed outdoor ampitheater, Unbelieveable acoustics that made a killer band sound even more killer.

He had about 5 or or LP stds (Goldtop, Tobacco, 2 cherry sunbursts, and two pre-Axcess Floyded Stds (wonder if they were protypes?), a custom or two and his ES and the acoustic and the Glockenscccccchhhhhppppppeelll ( what cool word)

Later,

Long Live Alex !!!

[/quote']

Great pics of my favorite band. Yes the Floyd Rose LP's were a prototype to the Access. Awesome concert...

jimmy page-overdriven (live since ive been loving you)

duane allman-slide and blues (filmore 19 minute version of you dont love me)

mike bloomfield-best clean sound (alberts shuffle-super sessions)

in no particular order of course

OK I'll play. Gotta mention the Beano thing (although my wife got me a black Strat with a maple neck for our 10th anniversary, wonder why? OK 20's sneaking up on us and it'll be a burst, I promise). And I identify Frampton with the Lester even if the tone doesn't stay in my head. Duane and Dickey, natch. Live at Fillmore is probably the tone reference for all times. But no one has mentioned Joe Walsh yet - there's a great example of LP tone.

Had the pleasure of seeing Mark Knopfler live at Radio City Music Hall. Lots of different flavors, but his Les Paul through a pair of (red) Marshall stacks was like buttah.

Archived