Gibson Brands Forums

Hello, from Kamloops, BC CANADA

Kamloops Mike

Hi,

my name is Mike and I'm an old guitar player living in the wilds of BC in Canada. I have played guitar for more than 40 years, but sadly, I'm not particularly talented as a musician! Don't get me wrong. I love playing my guitars but have done so very infrequently over the years. As a teenager, I received a cheap acoustic guitar that I learned to play on and wrote a few songs with back then. That guitar disappeared into the sands of time and after moving out of my parents' house, I didn't own another guitar for perhaps 10 years. IN my late 20's I purchased a new, quality acoustic guitar - a Norman, made in Canada. It had good tuners and a nice tone and I did play it on and off for a number of years before passing it on to a friend of my son's in California back in '97. I went guitarless for a number of years before making an online purchase of an Ovation acoustic/electric guitar in 2007. I still own that one today. More recently, my wife purchased a used '07 Epiphone Les Paul Standard which really got me interested and motivated to play better. I have played that guitar for 5-10 hours per week - usually once or twice a day and have actually started to improve my skill and technique at age 61! Last month, after visiting our local guitar shop in Kamloops (Long and McQuade) countless times, playing Gibson LP's, Epi 339's, Fender Teles and Strats, I found an Ebony 2004 Gibson LP Studio with a Bigsby B7 installed with a roller bridge and VibraMate mount at L&M's White Rock location. After a few emails, I now own it! The tones I get from this guitar are magical, allowing me to play all up and down the neck. I am getting better! My bends and leads in general are becoming more professional sounding without the scratchy tones I sometimes get from the Epi (I still own it, too!). I know it's early days, but I'm revelling in my new LP Studio and can see myself continuing to improve my playing. I'm even looking for a local band of "old souls" to play with from time to time!

cheers,

Mike

post-95154-064011200 1537388013_thumb.jpg

post-95154-009366400 1537388028_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Mike. msp_thumbup.gif Yeah, we are similar as I sold off all my guitars in my 20's and quit. then the wife bought me an Acoustic and still have that one. Retired from the Railroad and bought a bunch more guitars and 2 amps, Learned a ton of songs and still going at it. I have an Ovation also and love it. Used to have a Ovation 12 string and wish I still had that one. You have some nice guitars so keep on playing and stay at it Mate. msp_thumbup.gif

Retired,

Yes, we do seem to have followed similar paths to get here! Thanks, for the welcome. I always loved the Ovation 12 strings! Never owned one, but it gets my pulse rate up just thinking about it! I find myself constantly going back to songs I used to bang out and sing, and actually learning how to play the lead guitar parts properly - YouTube is wonderful for doing this. I get great satisfaction of listening to my playing and noting that it actually DOES sound pretty good! Learning is a life-long process so hopefully, I will be learning for many years to come.

cheers,

Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike. msp_thumbup.gif Yeah, we are similar as I sold off all my guitars in my 20's and quit. then the wife bought me an Acoustic and still have that one. Retired from the Railroad and bought a bunch more guitars and 2 amps, Learned a ton of songs and still going at it. I have an Ovation also and love it. Used to have a Ovation 12 string and wish I still had that one. You have some nice guitars so keep on playing and stay at it Mate. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived