Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...troublesome J45

Alex_78

this is likely the most absurd post ever but thats my opinion which is ,after all , a forums purpose.

Part 1 of the post is a joke, please appreciate the "ah, ah" at the beginning.

Part 2 is a statement, I was somewhat to see how two guitars that are supposedly the same from a structural point of view (same bracing, wood etc...) may sound so different.

28hem2w.jpg

Part 2 is a statement, I was somewhat to see how two guitars that are supposedly the same from a structural point of view (same bracing, wood etc...) may sound so different.

28hem2w.jpg

Guitars are individuals. There should be a strong family tonal resemblance between two nominally-similar Gibsons ( same woods, bracing, body shape), but they are not cookie-cutter guitars. Individual pieces of mahogany and spruce can have significant differences in tonal qualities, which is why it pays to look for a guitar that speaks to you.

Remember, too, that strings make a dramatic difference. Comparisons between two J-45's, for example, are only truly valid if you put the same strings on them at the same time before making A-B comparisons.

Guitars are individuals. There should be a strong family tonal resemblance between two nominally-similar Gibsons ( same woods, bracing, body shape), but they are not cookie-cutter guitars. Individual pieces of mahogany and spruce can have significant differences in tonal qualities, which is why it pays to look for a guitar that speaks to you.

Remember, too, that strings make a dramatic difference. Comparisons between two J-45's, for example, are only truly valid if you put the same strings on them at the same time before making A-B comparisons.

I am not born yesterday, and I played quite a few guitars...for instance few weeks ago I played two Yamaha FG180s (nice guitars, BTW), one was better than the other with a more open sound, but they definitely had the same sound.

These two guitars according to the specs were the same but in reality they sounded like two completely different guitars, and of course I tried with the same strings. It also appears my assessment on the SJ is shared by other people therefore I am inclined to think those guitars are not exatly the same. This J45 was very light and IMO they exaggerated a bit, but the resonance was phenomenal.

But you did buy a brand new guitar with a bellied top and max'd out truss rod. Just sayin... :(

Then there's that.

I am quite surprised to see I have to difend myself for my purchase. The answer is obvious, first the guitar sounded exceptional, it was extremely lightweight and resonant, I noticed the inclined pins but I thought they were just popping out....just later at home when I changed the strings I noticed I had to lower the bone saddle too much to get the action I like. For the truss rod, I assume you two remove the truss rod cover before buying guitars...I do not.

Archived