Gibson Brands Forums

What to do with a counterfeit Les Paul?

Damocles

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use the Chibson as a project guitar to train on. All the time we have pickers in here ask how to repair a ding on their beautiful LP. Don't do your 1st repair on a real LP. Use the Chibson. Don't install your 1st bone nut on a real LP use the Chibson.

Most mechanics 1st learned on Briggs and Stratton engines not 427 Chevy V8s.

Surgeons started operating on pigs not patients.

Original poster,

If there's no way to get your money back, then I would keep it, play it, and chalk it up to experience.

If Gibson wants to pursue the originator of the counterfeit axe, that's up to them.

My own experience with 'reporting fraud to the local police and FBI' has been very frustrating.

White collar crime, cyber-crime, credit card fraud, and internet fraud are so out of control right now that the authorities can't keep up and rarely bother to pursue a prosecution.

Two years ago, I noticed a suspicious item on my credit card bill.

I made some calls to the credit card company, and it turns out that somebody used my credit card number to order an $1,100 fish finder.

And worst of all, the item was delivered to a house just two blocks away from mine!

I cancelled the credit card immediately, and reported the fraudulent charge to the credit card company and the credit bureau.

I visited the house in question, and a family had JUST moved out, and they left the house in a shambles.

Turns out the 'father' of the family renting the place had a record of moving around a lot, paying a months rent, failing to pay any more rent, and then finally jumping rent and moving out without notice.

I did more investigating.

The guy was a con-artist deluxe, and had moved from house to house about twice a year, for as long as he had been in the area.

Worse yet, one of his many 'businesses' dealt with turnkey ATM machines, the kind you see in convenience stores!!

I called the Madison County Sheriff's office.

I called the Huntsville Police.

i called the Alabama field office of the FBI.

I couldn't get any of them interested in pursuing charges on the offender.

I had the guy's full name, photos of him, a video of him preaching in a local church (God help us), and I had a list of all his previous residences. I even had the name of the local high school where the guy's son attended school.

NOTHING.

Nobody wanted to pursue it.

The credit card company just wrote it off, and moved on.

Very frustrating, and I am suspecting that your Chibson offenders will also walk away scott-free.

[unsure]

there is no way that deal gets made with him thinking it is a real one at that price ... The owner should just give it to the employee of the month, and get it out of the store as soon as possible.

Stuff like that does happen though. Even Guitar Center made a huge mistake on my first Gibson when I retired from the Railroad. I happened to go in and find a Les Paul Gold Top that looked in Mint new condition No signs of it ever been played and hanging in the used section. I thought it was a Standard but wasn't positive. The tag on it said $1,454.62 and with case. I thought it was too good of a deal to let it pass and bought it. The employee that sold it to me said it was a 2010 model. They didn't know what they had at the time and had to honor their price tag. When I told them I suspected it was a Standard and never played they did a search and found it was shipped from another guitar store that couldn't sell it. So they had to sell it used. I was chased down in the parking lot before I could put it in my SUV and a employee wanted to buy it back but I told him No. I called Gibson customer service with the serial numbers and they told me it was in fact a 2007 LP Standard GT with the slim 60's neck and sold that year for $3,448.00 new. I also found out the employee that priced it and hung it there was fired the next day. Nothing to do with Gibson fakes but mistakes happen. They had no idea what they had.

If you only paid $500, you knew it was fake? If whoever bought it can't tell the difference between a Chibson and a Gibson they should be sacked.

If you know the identity of the seller, report them to the police for fraud.

Give the guitar to Henry as a going away present (over his head).

maxresdefault.jpg

Why has he got a blue antenna sticking out of his head?

Why are those people pointing at him?

Why is the bloke on the right walking off looking miserable?

What are those 2 blokes on the left doing?

Are they playing table tennis? Dancing? Are they in the band?

Why are they wearing sunglasses at night?

Why are they playing on a roof?

Why are they?

WHY?

Why has he got a blue antenna sticking out of his head?

Why are those people pointing at him?

Why is the bloke on the right walking off looking miserable?

What are those 2 blokes on the left doing?

Are they playing table tennis? Dancing? Are they in the band?

Why are they wearing sunglasses at night?

Why are they playing on a roof?

Why are they?

WHY?

Because they can. I'd assume, hopefully, that any guitar player here would too, if they could.

rct

Because they can. I'd assume, hopefully, that any guitar player here would too, if they could.

rct

Yer right. Not funny....I'm trying too hard.

They do look a bit grim but that's....video-capture I suppose.

Cheers!

Yer right. Not funny....I'm trying too hard.

They do look a bit grim but that's....video-capture I suppose.

Cheers!

Doesn't Ireland or Glassgow or wherever they are from make UK people look like that?

rct

rct

Looks a bit cold. I hate playing outdoors when it's cold. But if my band wanted to do it, sure. Let's rock.

Doesn't Ireland or Glassgow or wherever they are from make UK people look like that?

rct

I messed that up. It should say

Doesn't Ireland or Glassgow or wherever they are from make British people look like that?

That's funnier.

rct

OK, let me try this here...

Earlier this week the shop I work at bought, what we thought was, a Gibson Les Paul Supreme. This morning we were informed that it was a Chinese counterfeit and that was subsequently confirmed by Gibson.

Since it would appear that it's illegal to sell such things the question we now have is what can and what should we do with it and about it? I assume that we can't sell it but can we give it away? Should we report the person who sold it to us to the police or the FBI?

Did the seller sold you the guitar as a genuine "Gibson Les Paul Supreme" and you paid accordingly for it? But, you later found the guitar was a fake. So yes, call the law authorities on the person that sold you the guitar and keep that guitar as evidence when you go to court.

Archived