Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damocles

What to do with a counterfeit Les Paul?

OK, to finalize this thread. Thanks to all for all your comments, the good the bad and the ugly... I appreciate all the interest you've shown in this topic.

Yes, we're a pawn shop, not a music store. The deal was done by the boss' 23 year old son who knows about as much about guitars as he does quantum mechanics. I didn't come into it until I was given the guitar to post for sale on Reverb. I thought it looked suspicious (the Supreme logo looked too awkwardly done to be of the quality one would expect) and since I'm more familiar with Fenders than Gibsons (my only Gibson being a 1970 LG-12) I contacted a Gibson enthusiast friend who suggested it was a fake and that we should check with Gibson, who then confirmed that it was counterfeit. Gibson were very quick to confirm that and, obviously, what we should have done is what they do on Pawn Stars and "called in an expert" before buying it. Gibson have also confirmed that it would be illegal for us to try to sell it as a Gibson and they also suggested that the customer we bought it from may not have known it was a fake so that following up with the police might be a waste of time. They also informed us that we could sell it as long as we obliterated the Gibson logo.

And so, maybe the young heir apparent will learn from this experience...or not.

Thanks for posting the follow up. It was an interesting thread. I would say you have done everything you can at this point since all the checking needed to be done after the fact.

I'm sure there's lessons learned there for the kid who tried to work the deal. if it's too good to be true, then it isn't! :)

Edited by kidblast

I'm sure there's lessons learned there for the kid who tried to work the deal. if it's too good to be true, then it isn't! :)

The problem of a pawn shop is that on the one hand the customer assumes we're stupid while the manager assumes that the customer is stupid and there are loads of times when they're both absolutely right...

OK, to finalize this thread. Thanks to all for all your comments, the good the bad and the ugly... I appreciate all the interest you've shown in this topic.

I wish your post would finalize this thread, unfortunately it will not. Like the response above a lot of folks just read the original post and don't bother reading rest of the thread. thus you get a loop of the same responses. So expect more replies and advice to be coming in...

I am glad that your shop did come to a conclusion over the matter and can move on. msp_thumbup.gif

You could always advertise it as a Gibson-Style Les Paul if you obliterated the logo.

Pip.

msp_thumbup.gif Or give it too our 2 grandkids, Ones 3 and the others 1. Together they would learn, play and eventually destroy it. msp_flapper.gif