Gibson Brands Forums

A Little F-Hole Love

Dave F

I'm starting to setup my music room.

I just got my Super 400 back from the luthier and thought I get a picture of it with my other f-holes,

(rear) Vintage '65 Gretsch Chet Country Gentleman, although the f-holes are not real

L1 F-hole

ES 175

L5

Super 400

Gibson Chet Country Gentleman

13F0E248-A433-4507-8861-24E5D8129547_zps9sim2pt5.jpg

Absolutely beautiful, but where are the P90s?

You gotta have something with P90s!!!

This ES150 covered that base but it was one of the casualties of the Super 400 fund raising project a couple weeks ago.

1C0F859A-3717-4260-816B-575F1CC4CFF2_zpsgvlnxbgp.jpg

Very cool gaggle of archtops. I am not much of an archtop guy and generally prefer the round soundhole archtops. But I do own two f-hole guitars - a 1935 Gibson-made Capital and a 1953 blonde Epiphone Triumph Regent.

Here be the Capital. This one is X braced so has the "two hump" top.

L1010945.jpg

Very cool gaggle of archtops. I am not much of an archtop guy and generally prefer the round soundhole archtops. But I do own two f-hole guitars - a 1935 Gibson-made Capital and a 1953 blonde Epiphone Triumph Regent.

Here be the Capital. This one is X braced so has the "two hump" top.

L1010945.jpg

I had a couple other archtops the past couple years.

Here's a Harmony Cremona VI

1C81FA45-E36C-43B5-BE2E-BE0A4F4E7CE2_zpsu9c4mqnt.jpg

Solid top, even the braces were carved into the top. One of the nicest sounding maples I've had.

My luthier talked me out of it. The finish on it looka as good as it shows up in this picture. A real closet queen.

Here's a Regal that I gave to my luthier

IMG_0232_zps286370ce.jpg

Stellar collection! I especially love the 175 and L5.. knockout! btw.. I had a chet (But it was an Epi Elitist not a Gibson) sucka was heavy. how's yours?

I don't remember it being heavy but will weigh it when I get a chance.

I've long had an interest in these guitars, but are they primarily for strumming, as they were used during the Big Band Era? Almost bought one of the Epi acoustic ones that came out not too long ago. Wanted it, but was concerned about the the neck/strings not feeling right. I'm 99% a fingerpicker and have wondered if they're amendable to a low setup and fingerpicking instrumental folk songs and the like. Obviously, we can play whatever we like on our guitars, but I like a low setup and easy-on-the-fingers.

I've long had an interest in these guitars, but are they primarily for strumming, as they were used during the Big Band Era? Almost bought one of the Epi acoustic ones that came out not too long ago. Wanted it, but was concerned about the the neck/strings not feeling right. I'm 99% a fingerpicker and have wondered if they're amendable to a low setup and fingerpicking instrumental folk songs and the like. Obviously, we can play whatever we like on our guitars, but I like a low setup and easy-on-the-fingers.

I'm with you on the low setup and easy-on-the fingers.

I'm still experimenting on what I like and expect to dwindle it down within the next couple years.

Of this group, the L1, L5 and Gibson CG are currently on the keeper list.

I love the neck on my Epi Masterbilt Century Deluxe, nice and chunky but fast and great action wise with EXP 13s. The Shadow bridge pickup is good too, although I’m keen to mount an end-of-fingerboard Mini humbucker or one of the DeArmond Rhythm King reissues so I can dual source it.

The Epis didn’t sell in huge numbers and there are a ton out there at great prices at the moment. Mine retails at £800ish but I paid £399 for it. Loads of fun and very useful as an alternative voice in my collection.

I love the neck on my Epi Masterbilt Century Deluxe, nice and chunky but fast and great action wise with EXP 13s. The Shadow bridge pickup is good too, although I’m keen to mount an end-of-fingerboard Mini humbucker or one of the DeArmond Rhythm King reissues so I can dual source it.

The Epis didn’t sell in huge numbers and there are a ton out there at great prices at the moment. Mine retails at £800ish but I paid £399 for it. Loads of fun and very useful as an alternative voice in my collection.

I got one, too, and quite like it. I got the round hole version, though.

Red 333

I got one, too, and quite like it. I got the round hole version, though.

Red 333

I was really tempted by the round hole Deluxe, a better all-rounder than the F-hole iteration i think. I went for the F as I wanted a significantly different voice to my flat tops, but the round hole is certainly a cool instrument.

Archived