Gibson Brands Forums

1966 Trini Lopez Authentication

Biker13

Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum. I had visited the Gibson website to assist with an issue of instrument authentication and I was referred to this site. So I'm assuming if Gibson endorses this site I'll be surrounded by some very qualified individuals who will be able to help me out, for which I am grateful.

Gibson ES 335's are my new favorite guitar. I bought one last summer and fell in love. Now I own two. And as a means of furthering my love affair I'm interested in buying a particular 1966 Trini Lopez. This is where I need your help. The guitar I'm interested in is apparently a factory custom order and has a very unique Gibson logo on the headstock. It's an odd script that is a variation of the modern Gibson logo and the old banner logo. The owner insists the logo is original and came as part of a custom order from the factory in '66. The workmanship certainly looks to be "factory quality". Nothing about its quality is bootleg but It is bizarre that I've never seen this exact Gibson logo in my entire life. Have any of you ever seen this logo before? Do you think this looks legit or authentic? Do any of you know if there are historians at Gibson that I should consult with?

Thank you so much for your help!

Ted

...It's an odd script that is a variation of the modern Gibson logo and the old banner logo.....

Man, I don't know. I'm no expert, but I did see this other 1966 Custom that has the regular Gibson script, like all the other 1967s I saw. I guess that's not conclusive. I don't doubt someone will step up here with some real knowledge. Best of luck!

Man, I don't know. I'm no expert, but I did see this other 1966 Custom that has the regular Gibson script, like all the other 1967s I saw. I guess that's not conclusive. I don't doubt someone will step up here with some real knowledge. Best of luck!

Thanks. That's been my experience too. Every single Trini from that era has the same standard Gibson logo. I've never seen the logo that's in my attached picture on any Gibson guitar ever. But the seller insists it's original. He also decided he didn't want to sell it to me when I started asking too many questions which is probably all the information I really need.

Hello and welcome

For starters, re-post your query in the instrument ID and information sub-forum with the pic, also in Vintage Corner.

You should get a reply one way or another!

Best wishes.

Thanks so much for the heads up. I didn't know there was a specific Instrument ID sub-forum. Sounds perfect. I'll post in both areas you suggested. Thanks again,

Archived