Gibson Brands Forums

Why don't people warn you?

generaldreedle

Yeah, um, I did that just once. Once! It still haunts me. I am purposely not paying off my hummingbird early to avoid the added temptation of XX-months no interest on top of it all. I'm trying to stretch it to at least a year between 'em. I have all kinds of logic paths on this one. [cursing]

That’s why I bought a J45, and didn’t even take anything else off the wall.

Yeah, several years ago I went up to GC with the intention of buying a J165 they had (a fairly rare beast to find). I played it again and still was very impressed, THEN, they brought out a brand new J45 that had recently arrived and hung it on the wall. I played it and took it home. No regrets........ If a J200 calls your name and the price is right, it's tough to say "No."

I have to stay away!

One off the wall?

Last few times, I had all the ones I am interested in lined up by the staff on guitar stands....should have played the cheaper of 12 guitars first, not last. [smile]

Confused myself, but I can tell you now after a few months, that I liked ALL of them. Sick.

BluesKing77.

A really good SJ200 is a guitar that every serious player deserves to have in their hands at some point, not necessarily to own but definitely to try out. They’re a unique instrument, and, if one calls you by name, one of the hardest to resist. I’ve been lucky enough to own two, both of which were/are stunning instruments. The 2015 blonde I own currently is one of the best guitars I’ve ever had in my lap. I’ve got others with quicker necks and more comfortable dimensions, but the SJ200 is like an arrow straight to the heart...in the Cupid sense.

While running from Hurricane Florence, I found myself in Jacksonville Fl with a lot of time to do nothing. So I went on CL "just to look" found a guy with 5 gibsons and a taylor. He said he wanted to sell 2 of them and didnt care which two. went to his house and found he had a 67 J45, couldnt afford it. a later model J200 couldnt afford it and i didnt want the taylor. played them all but fell for a 2013 J45 standard which played and sounded like a dream sooooo I bought it. I should have stopped there but I grabbed his J185 EC Quilted Maple. Wow my first time spending any time with a maple. anyway when i got back to South Carolina I called him up and told him to ship it to me. I wish I had 4 arms so I could play them both at the same time. I AM NOT looking at CL any time soon.

While running from Hurricane Florence, I found myself in Jacksonville Fl with a lot of time to do nothing. So I went on CL "just to look" found a guy with 5 gibsons and a taylor. He said he wanted to sell 2 of them and didnt care which two. went to his house and found he had a 67 J45, couldnt afford it. a later model J200 couldnt afford it and i didnt want the taylor. played them all but fell for a 2013 J45 standard which played and sounded like a dream sooooo I bought it. I should have stopped there but I grabbed his J185 EC Quilted Maple. Wow my first time spending any time with a maple. anyway when i got back to South Carolina I called him up and told him to ship it to me. I wish I had 4 arms so I could play them both at the same time. I AM NOT looking at CL any time soon.

Great choices! A J45 and a J185 are fantastic instruments and cover a lot of bases between them. I have a ‘67 J45 and a J180 (basically a J185 with the twin “Everly” pickguards) amongst others, and those two could do the whole job if push came to shove.

A really good SJ200 is a guitar that every serious player deserves to have in their hands at some point, not necessarily to own but definitely to try out. They’re a unique instrument, and, if one calls you by name, one of the hardest to resist. I’ve been lucky enough to own two, both of which were/are stunning instruments. The 2015 blonde I own currently is one of the best guitars I’ve ever had in my lap. I’ve got others with quicker necks and more comfortable dimensions, but the SJ200 is like an arrow straight to the heart...in the Cupid sense.

I agree everybody should get the chance to try out a J-200 but that they are not going to be everybody's cup of tea. We have owned a 1960 J-200 for decades. Personally, I would have sold it off a long time back but my wife loves it and you could not pry it out of her hands for anything. The guitar is absolutely flawless. When this one was built Gibson was still turning out only a hundred or so every year. Story is that the white wood foreman personally selected each piece of wood destined for the top. Interestingly, back in the day Gibson did not seem to put a lot of stock in aesthetics. The body shows a bit of both flame and quilting but it is all mixed together. Not a very loud guitar. The low and high end almost get subsumed by the saturated mids which is why they are such good strummers. Ours is a fairly heavy instrument with a very wide angle X brace both below and above the soundhole.

The thing about this guitar is when she takes it out to play there is a certain respect that seems to always be shown it, even at music shops. As soon as folks see her pull it out of the case they move in but then take a step backward and just look.

Gibson_J-200_1.jpg

I agree everybody should get the chance to try out a J-200 but that they are not going to be everybody's cup of tea. We have owned a 1960 J-200 for decades. Personally, I would have sold it off a long time back but my wife loves it and you could not pry it out of her hands for anything. The guitar is absolutely flawless. When this one was built Gibson was still turning out only a hundred or so every year. Story is that the white wood foreman personally selected each piece of wood destined for the top. Interestingly, back in the day Gibson did not seem to put a lot of stock in aesthetics. The body shows a bit of both flame and quilting but it is all mixed together. Not a very loud guitar. The low and high end almost get subsumed by the saturated mids which is why they are such good strummers. Ours is a fairly heavy instrument with a very wide angle X brace both below and above the soundhole.

The thing about this guitar is when she takes it out to play there is a certain respect that seems to always be shown it, even at music shops. As soon as folks see her pull it out of the case they move in but then take a step backward and just look.

Gibson_J-200_1.jpg

Stunning guitar! I definitely get the “respect” angle. Whenever I see a player whip out an SJ200 (especially a vintage one), there is a degree of prestige that is unavoidably present, whatever the circumstances.

A sound engineer friend of mine said “when a J200 comes out, I always know there’s something serious going on, either serious showmanship, serious talent or somebody who takes their playing seriously enough to spend some serious cash”

Gibson_J-200_1.jpg

Yep. Same sense of awe I get when I open up the case. You're right, of course, they aren't loud. Not 'banjo killers'. They are deep and broad and full and project 'all the colors of the rainbow'.

Did I have to have then pull down the 2018 Gibson J200 just to try over my lunch break?

Was it on sale? My local GC had theirs on sale, unadvertised, substantial discount, as of 6:00PM this evening. My S-Ash manager verified it soon there-after, and now I wait quite impatiently for a Wednesday delivery. \:D/ [thumbup][drool]

Woo Hoo!!!!

I could spend all day gazing at these things.

Count me in, ,, and EA, whom I know giggles as he gazes. With kidblast that's four, but we may be many more.

Imagine a summer-cottage-senior-scene with old Gibson-geezers just sitting gazing at acoustic guitars. With occasional giggles here and there. Hilarious. .

Count me in, ,, and EA, whom I know giggles as he gazes. With kidblast that's four, but we may be many more.

Imagine a summer-cottage-senior-scene with old Gibson-geezers just sitting gazing at acoustic guitars. With occasional giggles here and there. Hilarious. .

add a nice bottle of bourbon, (or two) and let us play em, and that just might be epic...

Archived