Gibson Brands Forums

Bit of a grumble...

Lord Summerisle

GIBSON USA discontinued that colour, and that is TOO BAD.,,,best lookin 'SG' in years ! The 2017 HP Models had a case that was $300 at least, it is a Monstrosity ! I sent the HP Model I got back as MINE suffered from severe NECK-DIVE and the Guitar was un-playable. BUT, the 2017 SG Standard Trad 'BLACK-BEAUTY' I did get as a replacement is BAD-A$, its the 'SG' I waited for ! The case ROCKS too ! I do wish I had bought two 'SG' Standards in 2017 and one of 'em was the Cherry Sunburst, like yours, minus the Robo's.

I agree that 2017 was a very good year for the SG Standard. I went with the HP because I like the chrome knobs and pickup rings and the fingerboard inlays are Mother of Pearl like the head stock inlay and I liked the look of the case. The '57 Classics speak for themselves and are in the non-HP too, as you know. After receiving it, I found out the case is a monstrosity, but it's still cool. I haven't decided if the Robo's will stay or go. Sweetwater had four of them in stock when I bought it and there was a 13oz difference in the weight between the lightest and heaviest ones. That's a big difference and I don't know where all that comes from. The body, the neck, a combination? I have noticed moderate neck dive in mine and I don't like it but I play sitting down most of the time so it's manageable. I'm glad you're lovin' yours!

So when did this business of not including an HSC begin?

I have a 2013 Les Paul Traditional that I bought used, but it came with a Canadian-made HSC. A nice one. So I'm curious when dropping the case from the price of the guitar began. With the whopping price increases Gibson has saddled its players with, it seems to me that their bean counters should be able to find room in those inflated prices to included HSCs.

Every quality guitar I have bought new since 1968 has included an HSC, and even most of the used ones I've bought have included HSCs. Gig bags can work in certain instances -- like for gigs, for instance. But not for travel or for transportation between gigs. The risk of irreparable damage is just too high. Heck, way I see it, flight cases should come with Gibsons with these overinflated prices.

So when did this business of not including an HSC begin?

I have a 2013 Les Paul Traditional that I bought used, but it came with a Canadian-made HSC. A nice one. So I'm curious when dropping the case from the price of the guitar began. With the whopping price increases Gibson has saddled its players with, it seems to me that their bean counters should be able to find room in those inflated prices to included HSCs.

Every quality guitar I have bought new since 1968 has included an HSC, and even most of the used ones I've bought have included HSCs. Gig bags can work in certain instances -- like for gigs, for instance. But not for travel or for transportation between gigs. The risk of irreparable damage is just too high. Heck, way I see it, flight cases should come with Gibsons with these overinflated prices.

OH YES SIR, YOU ARE CORRECT ! ICB that for $1500+ Tax a 2019 'SG' Standard doesn't come with a Hard-Shell Case, it is really a disgrace.When they came out with the 2017's and they all had HSCase's I thought GIBSON USA had wised up, but apparently not ! If I were to go to a Guitar-Center to buy one of these Guitars, I would tell them: YO, the Guitar comes with a Hard-Shell Case or you can keep it........I mean, $1500+TAX and you run the immediate risk of it being damaged on the way home? NO, NO WAY !!!

I bought an EpiI SG case for my SG Standard I bought off the Bay. It fit like a glove and I had no issues putting a Gibby in an Epi case.

YES, I did that too! But for a 2016 'SG' FADED. I got my Epi HSCase on Craigslist for $60 and Painted the logo black and it was a perfect fit. I sold the Guitar and now realize it was dumb move...With these price increases, EE-GAD MON. I should have kept it just to have something to beat the $#!T out of.

Hmmm...I bought a new 2018 SG Jr earlier this summer and it came with a very nice brown hard shell case with a gold “Gibson” logo on it. Didn’t pay a lot more than $1000 for it. Strange that a standard still comes in a gig bag. 🤔

Here are some new 2019 Gibson SG's for $1499 that come with a Hard Case....

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/SG-Standard-2019-Electric-Guitar.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Gary-Clark-Jr-Signature-SG-Electric-Guitar.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/SG-Standard-2018-Electric-Guitar.gc

You should be able to buy it for about $1200 with a little negotiating...

Lars

My 2017 and 2015 came with the brown hardshell cases, I would not have spent the same money on a guitar with a gig bag, and probably wouldn’t have bought them at all.

I bought my 2011 60’s tribute used and the PO had included the nice “made in Canada” hardshell case.

The trend of crappy or no cases has deterred me from more than one guitar.

If it’s a guitar I must have, I will purchase a hard case for it. I’d did that for my Ibanez Destroyer, and Jackson SL4X.

I did buy a Fender telecaster that came with a gig bag, I don’t feel bad putting fenders in a gig bag. [flapper]

Seriously thinking about treating myself to something I've always wanted - a new Gibson SG. Owing to a tax extension this year, I have a few bucks coming my way in late October or November or whenever Uncle Sam gets around to writing a refund check.

This has led to some serious ogling of the Sweetwater site.

Is it really necessary for a $1500 Gibson to come with a soft shell case? It looks like a nice case for what it is, but for an expensive guitar like that? This looks to me like nickeling-and-diming the customer because chances are, if I buy it, I'll end up tacking an Epi hardshell SG case onto the order.

Here are some new 2019 Gibson SG's for $1499 that come with a Hard Case....

https://www.guitarce...ctric-Guitar.gc

You should be able to buy it for about $1200 with a little negotiating...

Lars

I got a padded gig bag with my 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute. It's a nice one but I don't use it either.

Same here. I bought a Gator case for the Tribute and use the padded softcase for my Epi LP.

Whether or not there's much of a difference, I have no idea. My hunch is the Gibson case is as good, or at least almost as good. The Gibson softcases seem well made. And I paid $600, so I was fine with it.

But I agree with the OP. $1500 and no hardcase is an insult.

Same here. I bought a Gator case for the Tribute and use the padded softcase for my Epi LP.

Whether or not there's much of a difference, I have no idea. My hunch is the Gibson case is as good, or at least almost as good. The Gibson softcases seem well made. And I paid $600, so I was fine with it.

But I agree with the OP. $1500 and no hardcase is an insult.

Why would you guys buy those Guitars when there are Hard Cases included with several $1500 Gibson SG's?

Archived