Gibson Brands Forums

'SG' EXCLUSIVE FIASCO....

Wild Bill 212

Hello fellow PLAYER's, the problem with buying Guitar's ON-LINE is about to becone apparent

I did happen to see @ AMERICAN MUSICAL SUPPLY an EXCLUSIVE 2019 'GIBSON USA 'SG' Standard w/3 Pick-Up's/Sideways Tremolo, ALA BILLY GIBBONS 'Li'l RED', so I ordered one as it is as close to a CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON as a Guy like me can get.

The 1st one arrived set-up pretty decently but the Guitar had a defect on the Fret-Board @ Frets 1 & 2 and after taking the Guitar to a GIBSON AUTHORIZED SVC. Center (Where I was told:"Send it back...", in no uncertain terms !) I had to send the Guitar back to AMS.

SO, the 2nd 2019 'SG' Standard w/Sideways Tremolo Guitar arrived and the SET-UP on it was atrocious. Other than turning the Guitar into a STOP-TAIL STANDARD the Guitar would never do as it is designed to do.This meant that if I wanted to keep the Guitar I would NEVER have the option of playing it as Billy Gibbons plays 'LI'L RED' and that is with the Sideways Tremolo Arm in the retracted position.WTF ? UGH !!!

I took the Guitar to the SVC Cneter that I took the 1st one to and was told, AGAIN, in no uncertain terms to "Send it back.......",and that I was correct, the Center-Block was mounted in-correctly....... so back it went !

SO, now I am waiting for a REPLACEMENT Guitar to be shipped to me from AMS. BUT GIBSON Failed to send me an acceptable one TWICE and rolling the dice a 3rd time on that Guitar was just something I thought better of doing.

I guess the moral of the story is that :"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR", and I am definitely NOT going to get a Custom Shop level GIBSON for $2,000 from GIBSON USA.

WOULD ANYONE HERE TRIED FOR A 3RD TIME TO GET AN ACCEPTABLE 3 Pick-Up/Sideways Tremolo 'SG' STANDARD ? ?

Edited by Wild Bill 212

I bought a 2014 Gibson SG Futura and the first 2 were messes that had to go back. I waited a few years and picked up a used one for under $500 and it was a winner. I think you were right to send them back but I wouldn’t risk a third time. Just my opinion though.

I bought a 2014 Gibson SG Futura and the first 2 were messes that had to go back. I waited a few years and picked up a used one for under $500 and it was a winner. I think you were right to send them back but I wouldn't risk a third time. Just my opinion though.

RIGHT, That is what I figured, forget it !! I really wanted that Guitar though. The 'SG' Standard w/3 Pick-Up & Sideways Tremolo had not been issued since 2015. I wanted something not everyone has, kinda like a CUSTOM SHOP but not, and I was waiting for something like this Guitar. GIBSON USA can not get that Guitar right in Mass Production, the CENTER BLOCK placement is CRITICAL.......Since I already paid for the Guitar, I have a credit with the On-Line Retailer and am going to get the MAESTRO VIBROLA 'SG' Standard instead...nowhere near as COOL a Guitar.

One of the points I was trying to make, but I erased it due to the length of the topic, is that no one is stocking a decent selection of GIBSON Guitars any longer...there is a limited selection EVERYWHERE except maybe NYC & Los Angeles and a few other cities, MAYBE !!

So, it seems like GIBSON USA gets away with shipping these defective Guitars as Stores aren't stocking GIBSON's, people keep them.....BUT NOT ME, NO WAY ! If a GIBSON SVC CENTER tells me "SEND IT BACK...", its going back ! Whereas in the 70's, 80's & 90's GIBSON USA had to stamp these Guitars with a '2' or a 'SECOND' on the back of the HEADSTOCK and sell them at a discount, I haven't seen a 'SECOND' in a long time, though I was just shipped two of them for sure..

Wild Bill 212,

I sure am sorry that you are going thru this.

Some of us have good luck when ordering online, and others have experienced similar situations to yours.

As you said, it's a roll of the dice.

I myself have never had a bad experience with Sweetwater.

I did order my SG from American Musical Supply, but then again, they were the only ones who offered the SG Naked.

I got lucky, I guess. Mine was perfect, right out of the box.

I'm hoping that, with you, the 3rd time is the charm.

Good luck!

:)

I am familiar with the SG that the OP is referring to, it is a limited edition available only through AMS and Zzounds. If Sweetwater was selling it, I don’t think it would be any better because my experience is they don’t pay that good of attention either. I posted previously about my 2018 RD and the mess that Sweetwater sent me...

Wild Bill 212,

I sure am sorry that you are going thru this.

Some of us have good luck when ordering online, and others have experienced similar situations to yours.

As you said, it's a roll of the dice.

I myself have never had a bad experience with Sweetwater.

I did order my SG from American Musical Supply, but then again, they were the only ones who offered the SG Naked.

I got lucky, I guess. Mine was perfect, right out of the box.

I'm hoping that, with you, the 3rd time is the charm.

Good luck!

:)

THANK YOU FOR THAT. I appreciate it, U KNOW, now that I think of it......the 3 GIBSON 'USA' Guitars that I have purchased ON-LINE (2 from SWEEWATER, 1 from MUSIC ZOO) since March, 2017 all had issue's. and they were not cheapo Models, 2 STANDARDS and an 'ELITE'......These Guitars were all made right, eventually, under warranty (with one slight exception). I also fixed one with some Copper Shielding Tape.

The ONLY GUITAR I've purchased from GIBSON since 2015 (out of a total of 7 Guitars) that was PERFECT 'out-of-the-box' is a 2018 GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' ES-335 Traditional........IT IS 100% PERFECT !!! A work of ART I would say, but it is not a GIBSON 'USA' product either. For Decades, I thought that IF I was buying a GIBSON 'USA' STANDARD that I was getting a good quality American made Guitar and these days it seems that that sort of thinking is subject to a BIG "MAYBE"........BUT, I WILL TELL ANYONE, for an @ least $1500 minimum Guitar, that is exactly what Customers should get! A good quality American made Guitar.

BUT that is no longer the case with GIBSON 'USA', it is Hit or Miss now. Everyone knows that 'MEMPHIS' or CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON's are where the GOOD STUFF is, but GIBSON 'USA' STANDARDS used to be a pretty safe bet....

• Upvote 2

I am familiar with the SG that the OP is referring to, it is a limited edition available only through AMS and Zzounds. If Sweetwater was selling it, I don't think it would be any better because my experience is they don't pay that good of attention either. I posted previously about my 2018 RD and the mess that Sweetwater sent me...

U know that Guitar, yes? It is BAD-A$$... BUT I do not think GIBSON USA can Mass Produce it and it is really a CUSTOM SHOP Guitar! The Center-Block placement being CRITICAL.I really did want the Guitar, kinda like Billy Gibbons 'Li'l RED' and that is whay I bought it. BUT after getting two that had to go back, I could not justify a 3rd one.

N E WAY, I just got the 2019 GIBSON Exclusive RUN 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA replacement and it is SWEEEET, and different form the two other 2019 'SG' STANDARD's GIBSON USA has issued this year. Its not the Guitar I had originally wanted and REALLY DO wish the 3 Pick-Up Sideways Tremolo could have been a keeper.......BUT, I CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING and AMS sez that the MAESTRO VIBROLA is just as Limited a Run as the Sideways Tremolo as far as NUMBER of Guitars issued.

Yeah. Gibson's designs are based on closer manufacturing tolerances that other brands. That's why it doesn't take much to screw one up.

And when Gibson had regular dealers, they'd get your guitar all set up and make sure everything was o.k. before you walked out the door. If it had a high nut, they'd fix it as part of the dealer's responsibility. But now, because of the lack of personal contact, the dealers can't service Gibson products they way they have to to support the brand properly. Some online dealers - from what I understand - have actually been ordered to not service any guitars by Gibson, but to send them back. Gibson actually thought for awhile that some kids at MF would be able to service their guitars and that every guitar would be great. That was just foolish. They've kind of done this to themselves by screwing up their dealer network. It's been going on for at least ten years. It's the dealer's job to put his hand on your shoulder and shuffle you out the door with a smile on your face. But that's not how it works any more.

Yeah. Gibson's designs are based on closer manufacturing tolerances that other brands. That's why it doesn't take much to screw one up.

And when Gibson had regular dealers, they'd get your guitar all set up and make sure everything was o.k. before you walked out the door. If it had a high nut, they'd fix it as part of the dealer's responsibility. But now, because of the lack of personal contact, the dealers can't service Gibson products they way they have to to support the brand properly. Some online dealers - from what I understand - have actually been ordered to not service any guitars by Gibson, but to send them back. Gibson actually thought for awhile that some kids at MF would be able to service their guitars and that every guitar would be great. That was just foolish. They've kind of done this to themselves by screwing up their dealer network. It's been going on for at least ten years. It's the dealer's job to put his hand on your shoulder and shuffle you out the door with a smile on your face. But that's not how it works any more.

AH,B.B., You remember the 'GOOD OLD DAYS'.......and SADLY you are correct. GIBSON 'USA' is a small Guitar DEALERS nightmare and many smaller shops (the one's that have yet to be run out of business) will just not sell GIBSON's brand due to too many requirements/hassle's etc.......the GC nearest me only gets 1 or 2 Faded's and maybe a Les Paul & 'SG' Standard....but everything else must be ordered.....

I am HAPPY to say that the 3RD Guitar arrived yesterday and it is "****", yes SIR....' HOW SWEET IT IS..."...the 2019 GIBSON 'SG' Standard EXCLUSIVE RUN w/'Maestro' Vibrola in Aged Cherry w/ENGRAVED 'GIBSON' CHROME TAIL PIECE is BAD-A$$....IMO, it is a step above the 'SG' Standard '61 GIBSON USA has issued this year in that it has a really slim taper neck and doesn't have '61 Reissue P-Up's but '57 Classic's in both Neck & Bridge. It is lacking the Locking Grovers and has but regular GIBSON Deluxe Tuning Machines which could be a mistake as locking Grover's may be better w/'MAESTRO" Tuning Issue's.....but IDK yet.......From the inspection I did on the Guitar this one is the CHARM, a KEEPER for sure and I dare may well say it....it is PERFECT, WOW.....JUST A BEAUTY of an AXE ! The TAIL-PIECE engraving with the HARP and 'GIBSON' is really Exquisite, the Tremolo Arm is good and sturdy. I did notice the Tune-O-Matic bridge doesn't have 'ALLEN KEY' Posts and must be adjusted via the Thumbwheels ONLY, which is OK, not a Dealio breaker......

AIA....A Good Axe was finally delivered, took three weeks, and I do wish they could have got the Sideways Tremolo Axe right, but NO !!!

• 3 years later...
On 9/27/2018 at 6:33 PM, Wild Bill 212 said:

Hello fellow PLAYER's, the problem with buying Guitar's ON-LINE is about to becone apparent

I did happen to see @ AMERICAN MUSICAL SUPPLY an EXCLUSIVE 2019 'GIBSON USA 'SG' Standard w/3 Pick-Up's/Sideways Tremolo, ALA BILLY GIBBONS 'Li'l RED', so I ordered one as it is as close to a CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON as a Guy like me can get.

The 1st one arrived set-up pretty decently but the Guitar had a defect on the Fret-Board @ Frets 1 & 2 and after taking the Guitar to a GIBSON AUTHORIZED SVC. Center (Where I was told:"Send it back...", in no uncertain terms !) I had to send the Guitar back to AMS.

SO, the 2nd 2019 'SG' Standard w/Sideways Tremolo Guitar arrived and the SET-UP on it was atrocious. Other than turning the Guitar into a STOP-TAIL STANDARD the Guitar would never do as it is designed to do.This meant that if I wanted to keep the Guitar I would NEVER have the option of playing it as Billy Gibbons plays 'LI'L RED' and that is with the Sideways Tremolo Arm in the retracted position.WTF ? UGH !!!

I took the Guitar to the SVC Cneter that I took the 1st one to and was told, AGAIN, in no uncertain terms to "Send it back.......",and that I was correct, the Center-Block was mounted in-correctly....... so back it went !

SO, now I am waiting for a REPLACEMENT Guitar to be shipped to me from AMS. BUT GIBSON Failed to send me an acceptable one TWICE and rolling the dice a 3rd time on that Guitar was just something I thought better of doing.

I guess the moral of the story is that :"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR", and I am definitely NOT going to get a Custom Shop level GIBSON for $2,000 from GIBSON USA.

WOULD ANYONE HERE TRIED FOR A 3RD TIME TO GET AN ACCEPTABLE 3 Pick-Up/Sideways Tremolo 'SG' STANDARD ? ?

I have the 2019 Exclusive Original SG in dark aged cherry with the shark tooth Vibrola Maestro that I bought from zZounds in 2019. Utter perfection and playability, has '57 classics and sounds marvelous. I put on a Wilkerson roller bridge and Kluson Keystone locking tuners and haven't had a tuning issue since. Since I have more than 400 guitars this baby has gotten no playtime at all, but I have been offered $2,500 for it on several occasions of which I turned down because this axe is a rarity, only 350 of them made and is of custom shop grade...plus I've never seen an SG of this quality. I paid $1600 for it in '19 and they're already selling for $2500 and more if you can find one or find someone willing to sell. IMO this is the best SG the company ever made and I don't blame owners for not wanting to sell them.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:33 PM, Wild Bill 212 said:

Hello fellow PLAYER's, the problem with buying Guitar's ON-LINE is about to becone apparen

Hey Bill haven't heard from you for a long time, looks like you posted this about 4 years ago. I buy almost all my guitars online and basically you take your chances when you don't actually touch the guitar before buying. If I don't like something I bought I work them until they are playable, then sell them.

I would not try 3 times to get same thing and as I said I don't return anything.

Peace Bill 

John....