Gibson Brands Forums

cigarette smoke

BDuke

I think you just have to let it air out over a few days. There are some odor eliminator you can find at hardware stores. Stick one in the case.

I lived in Minneapolis when the city passed an ordinance banning smoking in bars. Before the ban, I'd come home from a gig and all my gear would reek of tobacco smoke. After the ban, there was a noticeable difference. As someone allergic to cigarette smoke, I greatly appreciated the ban.

I'd put a container with Baking Soda in it - suppose to absorb smells.

They even use it as a secret ingredient in Kitty Litter.

Maybe get one of those little time pans at the dollar store and spread an inch or so of Baking Soda in it.

Be sure to close the lid if you have cats.

Good ideas and they should work, or at least help a lot. Might also help if the opened case spent several hours in the sun...........Saw a guitar stained by smoke/nicotine years ago. Smelled pretty bad and the stain was obvious. Imagine what that crap does to your lungs.

I played a ‘70s Gospel a few years back which had obviously spent many years on the wall of the home of a heavy smoker. It was heavy tar stained and felt oddly sticky to the touch. I was intrigued as to how it would clean up with some Virtuoso or similar. Staining aside, it sounded wonderful, as Gospels tend to do...have never played a bad one, despite the Norlin association.

Archived