Gibson Brands Forums

PO'd at Myself for Nothing Major

SilverLesterStd

&*%#ing #&*%! That feels a little better. I know I'm mad for something kind of small, but it really annoys me. Why, because I did the thing that's making me mad. I have a little story & I'll try to be brief.

About 3 weeks ago, my family & I went on a weekend trip to see my brother and the town we had moved from. We were hoping the family would get to see Kevn Kinney of Drivin' n Cryin' perform as well. We found out that Reese couldn't get in to see him - must be 21. Oh well.

I decided to visit a new music store we saw there. Reese had a ball on a fretless bass & one of the owner's personal axes - a stripped 1970 LP Custom. Reese liked his strings.

So, I felt obligated to buy something. I bought him a set of the DR black coated strings (Black Beauties) like were on the owner's guitar. I told Reese I'd put 'em on his LP the next string change. Tonight was the night, since it's tunings were becoming more necessary.

I had them all on, but in the middle of trying to watch The Who documentary, listen to my wife and run my own mouth, I did something stupid. I wrapped the high E string clockwise around the tuner. Not the correct counter-clockwise way. More of an annoyance than a problem. Right?

Wrong. I took the string down and fiddled with it until I had it flipped around. How I did the next thing, I dont know. I actually must have started tightening the B string. I was wondering why I could not feel the string slipping under my nail while I tightened. Of course, I kept tightening until I broke the *%$#ing thing!

Now Reese has a nice new set of strings on his VM for tomorrow. Albeit, the set is black with one silver colored 2nd string. The good thing is that I rubbed some pencil graphite in the slots in the nut. After stretching the new strings & tuning them, these strings stayed in tune better than any I have ever tried. Probably a combination of the strings & the graphite. Thanks axe & co for the tip.

OK, I guess I'm done with my hissy fit / brain fart. Thanks.

SLS

After re stringing I leave the string ends long for a while, after stretching and tuning I'll clip the ends.

Went to clip the B" string off and somehow caught the low E between the nut an post .... PWINK...

On a cool note, I had an extra .11 in my stash (I use .10s) and threw it on, I like a .10 through .46 with a heavier high E...

A LOT !!!

I really don't need to hear about your sex life. [-X

Surely you aren't offended by a harmless joke of the opposite sex, right? I mean, wasn't that your intent with your prior comment? If you are offended, my insincere apologies are most certainly extended.

Oh, and I wouldn't dare speak of my sex life in public w/out asking to be in the doghouse at home. I was simply referring to a good burger and a clean rug!

&*%#ing #&*%! That feels a little better. I know I'm mad for something kind of small' date=' but it really annoys me. Why, because I did the thing that's making me mad. I have a little story & I'll try to be brief.

About 3 weeks ago, my family & I went on a weekend trip to see my brother and the town we had moved from. We were hoping the family would get to see Kevn Kinney of Drivin' n Cryin' perform as well. We found out that Reese couldn't get in to see him - must be 21. Oh well.

I decided to visit a new music store we saw there. Reese had a ball on a fretless bass & one of the owner's personal axes - a stripped 1970 LP Custom. Reese liked his strings.

So, I felt obligated to buy something. I bought him a set of the DR black coated strings (Black Beauties) like were on the owner's guitar. I told Reese I'd put 'em on his LP the next string change. Tonight was the night, since it's tunings were becoming more necessary.

I had them all on, but in the middle of trying to watch The Who documentary, listen to my wife and run my own mouth, I did something stupid. I wrapped the high E string clockwise around the tuner. Not the correct counter-clockwise way. More of an annoyance than a problem. Right?

Wrong. I took the string down and fiddled with it until I had it flipped around. How I did the next thing, I dont know. I actually must have started tightening the B string. I was wondering why I could not feel the string slipping under my nail while I tightened. Of course, I kept tightening until I broke the *%$#ing thing!

Now Reese has a nice new set of strings on his VM for tomorrow. Albeit, the set is black with one silver colored 2nd string. The good thing is that I rubbed some pencil graphite in the slots in the nut. After stretching the new strings & tuning them, these strings stayed in tune better than any I have ever tried. Probably a combination of the strings & the graphite. Thanks axe & co for the tip.

OK, I guess I'm done with my hissy fit / brain fart. Thanks.

SLS

[/quote']

OK I'm confused#-o The high E, B & G strings are wrapped around the tuning post clock-wise. The wound E, A & D strings are wrapped counter clockwise. What am I missing? Been playing for 38 years and have never seen it any other way. Are my clocks running backwards?

OK I'm confused#-o The high E' date=' B & G strings are wrapped around the tuning post clock-wise. The wound E, A & D strings are wrapped counter clockwise. What am I missing? Been playing for 38 years and have never seen it any other way. Are my clocks running backwards? [/quote']Left-handed?

I don't know, but that's the only way I can make sense of winding the high strings counter-clockwise.

Dynadude - I guess you're right. I was trying to see how weel he would like them before spending the extra on coated DRs. I ought to have a good idea by tomorrow. He was having a ball today playing B.O.C. - "Fire of Unknown Origin," "Lips in the Hills," "Black Blade," etc..

I played his LP some last night. It sounded like the tone might be more focused, for lack of a better word. It seemed like maybe some of the raspy highs might be gone. Does that make any sense?

Chan - Thanks. Yes, I was trying not to pull a Michael Douglas in "Falling Down." LOL It's hard to take pics of mythical beasts. I'll try to do so without consequences like happened in the movie "Legend." Yes, this is an All Hollywood post. =P~

guitarslinger & phil325 - Thanks for making me feel only half-way stupid.

Savannah - I've been willing to face those facts for years. It should be a law against cell phone use while driving. Especially for guys. :- Welcome to the forum! Have a seat and grab a pick out of that fishbowl on the coffee table.

Axe- Ouch, that had to leave a mark. LOL I know what you mean about "the stash." I do pretty well, except where B & High E strings are concerned. The only B string I had (w/o opening a new pack) was from a .011" from a pack of UL First Act's. .002" makes a big diff on those small dia. strings. I ended up using a .013" out of a fresh pack of Gibson Humbuckers. I may transplant to my LP if I buy another pack of DRs. HeII, I'm talking about this like the guy who drives his car on may-pop tires and plays musical chairs with them every time one blows.

I love the smiley too! LMFAO! Why can't any of my enemies be the self-combusting type? They are allways barely keeping it together while their "brain is squirming like a toad."

SLS

Dynadude - I guess you're right. I was trying to see how weel he would like them before spending the extra on coated DRs. I ought to have a good idea by tomorrow. He was having a ball today playing B.O.C. - "Fire of Unknown Origin' date='" "Lips in the Hills," "Black Blade," etc..

I played his LP some last night. It sounded like the tone might be more focused, for lack of a better word. It seemed like maybe some of the raspy highs might be gone. Does that make any sense?

Chan - Thanks. Yes, I was trying not to pull a Michael Douglas in "Falling Down." LOL It's hard to take pics of mythical beasts. I'll try to do so without consequences like happened in the movie "Legend." Yes, this is an All Hollywood post. :^o

guitarslinger & phil325 - Thanks for making me feel only half-way stupid.

Savannah - I've been willing to face those facts for years. It should be a law against cell phone use while driving. Especially for guys. 8-[ Welcome to the forum! Have a seat and grab a pick out of that fishbowl on the coffee table.

Axe- Ouch, that had to leave a mark. LOL I know what you mean about "the stash." I do pretty well, except where B & High E strings are concerned. The only B string I had (w/o opening a new pack) was from a .011" from a pack of UL First Act's. .002" makes a big diff on those small dia. strings. I ended up using a .013" out of a fresh pack of Gibson Humbuckers. I may transplant to my LP if I buy another pack of DRs. HeII, I'm talking about this like the guy who drives his car on may-pop tires and plays musical chairs with them every time one blows.

I love the smiley too! LMFAO! Why can't any of my enemies be the self-combusting type? They are allways barely keeping it together while their "brain is squirming like a toad."

SLS

[/quote']

Yea, I noticed some tone loss with the titanium coated strings the local shop owner gave me to try out. Not drastic, but enough that I probably won't buy any.

OK I'm confused#-o The high E' date=' B & G strings are wrapped around the tuning post clock-wise. The wound E, A & D strings are wrapped counter clockwise. What am I missing? Been playing for 38 years and have never seen it any other way. Are my clocks running backwards? [/quote']

I know what you mean. I guess I look at things another way. Even though the post is turning clockwise, the strings are wound counter clockwise. I look at it like this, if the post was stationary, what direction would I have to wind the strings to go around the post? Make any sense? Kind of like having one gear turn another.

BIGBENDS - Don't I know it bro. TSOHN is the most sure school of all. What is their mascot, Mr. Bill?! LOL

Archived