Gibson Brands Forums

Here’s one to give you nightmares!

Digger

My browser can't find the server...may the Common Brown got to it first!

We're lucky here in Southern California, USA. All the venomous snakes here have rattles on them to warn you that you are getting too close. Even if they don't rattle, it's because they are too lazy laying around "Where they're out there having fun. In the warm California sun." Seriously, I can't tell you how many people in my neighborhood take pictures and post it to Facebook showing Rattlesnakes laying in the middle of the trail sunning themselves - sometimes the Rattlesnakes move, and sometimes they don't. Pure laziness... :lol:

Snakes are beautiful. I spent time looking for rattlers in Badlands this year. Didn't find any. No venomous snakes in Tetons. Only the Prairie rattler in Yellowstone, where there have been two reported bites in the entire history of the park. They are just as important to the ecosystems they live in as anything else. Enjoyed a few in Death Valley 5 years ago.

rct

Cant get it to download Rob, I looked up the Eastern Brown though, Actually not that large of a snake like I imagined.

Sorry I wondered whether the link would open for you up there.

Eastern Browns are supposed to grow to about 6 feet but we saw one nearby that must have been 8 or 9’. Newly born they can easily kill you!

This is a snake that you MUST take seriously!

The link was about people having one slither over their feet while they stood perfectly still. The point was that if you remain still they won’t know you are there.

The rest was a short film showing what to do in case of snakebite, it would be good for all of you to see whether there are dangerous snakes there or not.

Isn't the only non-venomous animal in Australia the Great White Shark?

I love snakes, I probably have a dozen boas and pythons at the moment.

They're wonderful animals.

I can't see the video but snake's eye sight is keyed to movement so they're kind of like Mr. Magoo with stationary objects.

Plastic chairs seem to really intrigue them, they have to check them out from every conceivable angle.

There are about 8000 venomous snake bites in the US annually. The vast majority aren't fatal, but they will still make you very sick. Many, if not most, of these occur around peoples homes. Depending on where you live, you don't have to go into the wilderness to get bitten. I've been hiking and backpacking all around the US for 30 years and I've never seen a poisonous snake while in the wilderness except for the everglades, if you call that wilderness.

There are about 8000 venomous snake bites in the US annually. The vast majority aren't fatal, but they will still make you very sick. Many, if not most, of these occur around peoples homes. Depending on where you live, you don't have to go into the wilderness to get bitten. I've been hiking and backpacking all around the US for 30 years and I've never seen a poisonous snake while in the wilderness except for the everglades, if you call that wilderness.

We have venomous snakes on our property and we see them from year to year, maybe once or twice in 12 months.

I occasionally have to kill one if it starts hanging around the house but I hate doing it.

Anyway the whole point of this post is that I wanted you to see volunteers allowing an Eastern Brown to glide over their boots and around their legs. Also the treatment process within minutes of the bite but if you cant see the video, then it falls flat.

No snakes here in deepest Hertfordshire UK but we did fine a toad in the garden yesterday!

In Awwwxtrailya that'd be a Hopply Wopply. Keel ya in a second with his venom.

rct

we have moccasins and copperheads here, but no other venomous ones. the biggest snake found here, afaik, is the black snake, which can get 6-8 ft if he's lucky enough to live that long. hawks eat them sometimes. the bigger you get, the easier you are to see, i suppose.

however...

i was once crossing a fallow field in maryland. i saw the grass moving in my direction, i thought it was probably a groundhog, so i stopped, to let it pass hopefully w/o scaring it too much. however, when it got to me, it wasn't a groundhog. it was the biggest snake i ever saw. it's head was easily as big as my fist. it looked me directly right in the face. that means the snake's head was over 5' off the ground! i froze, doing my best not to crap my drawz. the snake froze too, for a moment. then he dove to my left, and continued on. i watched his body pass by. it seemed to take forever. that snake was well over 10' long, although i don't actually know exactly how much. i have a fairly good eye for spatial recognition after all these years in construction though. i would estimate that snake was 12-15 ft long. is there some formula to guesstimate by knowing how high his head was off the ground? it was a dark bronze color, with a belly that was yellowish-white. i have no idea what kinda snake it was, but i know one thing. it was not a resident. either an escapee or a tourist.

Sorry I wondered whether the link would open for you up there.

Eastern Browns are supposed to grow to about 6 feet but we saw one nearby that must have been 8 or 9'. Newly born they can easily kill you!

This is a snake that you MUST take seriously!

The link was about people having one slither over their feet while they stood perfectly still. The point was that if you remain still they won't know you are there.

The rest was a short film showing what to do in case of snakebite, it would be good for all of you to see whether there are dangerous snakes there or not.

OK, the one I looked up must have been a small one then, It seemed about 31/2 foot long at the most. A few years ago I did see a snake on the sidewalk at the lake where I take Sundance to, He was sunning himself I guess and since people ride bicycles around the lake I thought it might get ran over so after taking a few photos of it I made it move onto the grass. It was very unusual looking and I never seen a snake like it in Omaha before. It had a reddish head and the body was similar to a python in color. So I went home and looked up snakes till I found a picture just like this one. It was a Fox Snake. Usually the only snakes we ever see here are the common garter snake or bull snake. I wouldn't fancy being around poisonous snakes though.

Here's the link, I think -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-29/life-saving-lessons-for-snake-bites-ahead-of-warmer-weather/10302004

It says to dial 000 when you get bitten. Is 000 your emergency tele number in AU? We dial 911 for emergencies in the US - like when your brother in-law's yelling at your mamaw and won't get back to his own damn trailer and I threw my beer at the guy and he dumped it on my beanie babies.

What if your in tall grass and brush and get bitten on the ankle but didn't identify which snake bit you? Say it was the Eastern Brown, but you didn't see it so, How do they treat the bite or? Just plan on dying? Don't they have to treat each type of snake bite separately in other words?

Archived