Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Elitist 1964 Texan

Gralst

I happen to see on the Epiphone web page that there's a "Limited Edition" 1964 Elitist Texan. I'm aware that there was one in the early 2000s but the information seems to suggest this is a new and current offering but I've seen no other information elsewhere. I'm at the exploratory stage of replacing my close friend of fifty two years and was actually looking for a vintage Kalamazoo Texan but since this is going to be a player I could be more than happy with a contemporary Elitist. The one at the Epiphone page is advertised as having solid rims and a nitro finish albeit it it does have the old adjustable bridge. I'm not interested in the "Inspired By" or whatever it is but I am curious about the Elitist model and whether it is in deed a current offering and the list price. Thanx in advance for any info you can give me.

I believe the Elitist Texan in question is available only in Japan. The original Elitist Texan from the 2000s was a modern interpretation of the Texan with some details that varied from a sixties original. This new one is a very faithful reissue and is basically an Elitist McCartney Texan without the facsimile signature on the soundhole lable, or the case with embroided signature. By that measure, it should be an excellent guitar. I used to see Japanese retailers offer them on eBay. I would look there.

Red 333

Yes, I believe Red is right on the money re this new Japanese-market-only reissue. One may very well come up on Reverb at some point in time.

I happen to have one of the 1964 McCartney Texans, made in 2005 as part of the Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser. Made by Terada in Japan (as would be this new Elitist version), it's a nicely executed nitro-finish replica of McCartney's original. These also pop up used from time to time, but rather infrequently. Be aware that on the mid-2000s version, the neck is 1-10/16" at the nut, which is a bit too narrow for some folks.

Archived