Gibson Brands Forums

My New Baby!

charlie brown

That's awesome. I know what you mean about that guitar. I got mine at Sweetwater this summer and absolutely love that guitar. It's a Goldtop with P90's as well. I played it all night after getting it and for the next week or two, much to the dismay of my other guitars. How heavy is yours? Mine's a brute at right at 11 pounds. Congratulations!

I haven't weighed it, but it's substantial, without being an anvil, like my '76 Deluxe, and '80 LP Custom!

Those 2 are HEAVY! But, this one is, well...Nice, heavy enough to feel "right," but not a shoulder breaker. [biggrin]

I have a Jam, I'm going to, next weekend, and it will definitely be going with me! [thumbup]

CB

I really liked the 2018 Classics because of the gold top/P-90 combo, which you rarely see these days with newly issued or reissued models. The P-90s also made it easier to justify buying "another" Les Paul. Apparently, though, the 2018 Classics failed in overall sales (worst performing model and year according to UK-based Andertons). Gibson went back to non-P-90s for the 2019 lineup.

The red LP with P-90s above looks stunning as well.

Wow [scared] ...Well, here, most dealers couldn't keep the 2018's Classic Gold Top/P-90's, in stock! Sweetwater, seemed to

always be out of stock, just days after getting a new batch in. So...??? :-k I do see "Close Out" specials, on the

other 2 versions (Black, and Blue). So, it's hard to believe it was their worst year, at least on the Gold Tops! [tongue]

But, maybe the other 2 versions are responsible, for their lackluster sales? :rolleyes:

CB

Black Dog shows us his M2M gold top the other day, and now you with this... ya know, you guys are KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLING me..

STOP already..

JK.. congrats CB,, she's a beauty.

LOL, well...I KNOW the feeling! A lot of guitars owned by our members tend to up the "GAS" factor! Luckily (or, maybe not?)

my "budget" keeps me in line, for the most part. [tongue][biggrin]

Thanks, kidblast! I'm really enjoying it, truly!

CB

There is just something about goldtops.. I love my one even though its just a tribute.. Its still very much goldtoppy :) And one with P90s.. Even better.. Before I owned one the idea of owning a gold guitar seemed a bit ostentatious to me.. But once you see one and play one, they aren't really...

Im tempted to start a new internet myth somehow proving that gold paint on a guitar improves sustain and tone :D

You see... Still very goldtoppy

GenDvu0.jpg

Nice choice, Charlie Brown!

How does it sound compared to your Les Paul Specials? I believe you have both single and double cutaway?

I noticed quite a difference between my cheapie faded Double Cutaway (sounded really good) and my SG Classic and LP Special w/ ebony fret board (limited edition).

Neither one sounded as good as the cheapie faded although they were both a bit more upscale.

Thanks, Steve!

I think, because of the thicker body, and maple cap, my Classic sounds "throatier" or maybe (somewhat) fuller? But, I still

love my Double Cuts, as well! There's just something about a "Gold Top" P-90 model, that I've always loved! Maybe it's a memory

from my youth, as the very first Les Paul I ever played, was a (new, at the time) '68 Gold Top "Standard" with P-90's! So, I've

kind of had a soft spot, for them, ever since! [biggrin]

CB

It's Gold Fever!!!

Very nice. I don't have anything with P90s so that's something I'll get around to one of these days. I still remember your black Epi Custom.which is really nice too.

Congrats!

msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks, Black Dog! Yes, the Epi "Inspired by 55 LP Custom" is a REALLY nice guitar, on it's own.

But, there is something about a "Gibson," that's "special." Is that just in my mind? Maybe? But,

this one wreaks of quality, throughout! So, somehow, it's worth the extra cost, even though I did

get a great deal, on the Epi, and on this one, as well. Anyway, it's all Good! [thumbup]

CB

There is just something about goldtops.. I love my one even though its just a tribute.. Its still very much goldtoppy :) And one with P90s.. Even better.. Before I owned one the idea of owning a gold guitar seemed a bit ostentatious to me.. But once you see one and play one, they aren't really...

Im tempted to start a new internet myth somehow proving that gold paint on a guitar improves sustain and tone :D

GenDvu0.jpg

Those are Great Guitars, especially for their very reasonable (for Gibson) price! I had 2 of them, back in 2010-11, but

ended up trading them, for my venture back into SG's! But, it wasn't because I didn't like the Tributes. I just HAD to

have the SG's, at that time! [biggrin][tongue] I DO miss one of the one's I had, especially, because it had a fantastic

grain pattern, on the back! Very unusual, in a Great way! So, I do miss that one! [tongue]

CB

What's funny is that's my wife's name for my Tribute Goldtop with P90's. Goldtoppy.

And, new Goldtop at the top left for me! (The little one) The other two are a 2017 Tribute and a 2018 Classic.

43255902_1830279183745857_1634060581671534592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=2224ad3124590da56eb48c06ad288d5f&oe=5C524C56

What's funny is that's my wife's name for my Tribute Goldtop with P90's. Goldtoppy.

And, new Goldtop at the top left for me! (The little one) The other two are a 2017 Tribute and a 2018 Classic.

43255902_1830279183745857_1634060581671534592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=2224ad3124590da56eb48c06ad288d5f&oe=5C524C56

That little miniature gold top and amp are hilarious. No offense to anyone else but this is the king of all gold top photos. msp_thumbup.gif

That little miniature gold top and amp are hilarious. No offense to anyone else but this is the king of all gold top photos. msp_thumbup.gif

What d-ya mean?

That's my rig on the table..

(I'm very short)

I'm letting Michael borrow it

Good, that means a price drop soon! A black one would be cool too and I definitely like the red one.

Come early December, there should be some nice offers.

If I had the dough, I'd get a 2018 Tribute. A little too expensive to ask Santa for, I'm afraid, but I get a kick out of knowing that hopefully more than a few kids will get a 2018 Tribute for Christmas. How's that for getting started on the right foot?

That gives a whole new meaning to minihumbuckers. What gauge strings do you have on it?

Since they're mini P90's, would they be P30's? The funny thing is, it actually DOES have strings on it. And, the guitar is made of wood. Pretty sure there's no weight relief on the mini though. It's pretty light as is. I'm not sure what straplocks to put on it though!

That gives a whole new meaning to minihumbuckers. What gauge strings do you have on it?

I had to go with Barbie doll hair.. Not much on tone, but bending is nutty!!

And, I appreciate it! :)

use as long as you like, I've got a baby grand on order. It's coming USPS..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've Spent a lot of time, with this new "Classic" LP Gold Top, with P-90's, and I have

to say, it is really awesome, in every way. One of those guitars, you just can't stop playing,

at least for very long! I will always love and play my SG's (will never stop, with them), but

this Gold Top, is a great compliment, to the SG's tonal palette.[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup][biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Well, I've Spent a lot of time, with this new "Classic" LP Gold Top, with P-90's, and I have

to say, it is really awesome, in every way. One of those guitars, you just can't stop playing,

at least for very long! I will always love and play my SG's (will never stop, with them), but

this Gold Top, is a great compliment, to the SG's tonal palette.[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup][biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

So happy to hear you're lovin' your new Gold Top. 4GYC5Im.gif

Archived