Gibson Brands Forums

Bankruptcy

IanHenry

I would still thank Hank for saving the company from certain death (reports vary in time-scale from 3 to 6 weeks before they went under) after the Norlin debacle.

The products he oversaw marked the greatest era in the company's history since Ted McCarty quit his post. The quality of instruments produced are mentioned in the same breath as those of the late '50s and that's quite some feat.

I hope he is remembered more for returning Gibson to its quality roots in offering up the likes of the Historic Division more than the DarkFireDuskTigerFirebirdX experiments.

The experiments were fine and their results might prove to be important in the future but, perhaps, they diverted too much attention too soon and too completely.

Pip.

I would still thank Hank for saving the company from certain death (reports vary in time-scale from 3 to 6 weeks before they went under) after the Norlin debacle.

The products he oversaw marked the greatest era in the company's history since Ted McCarty quit his post. The quality of instruments produced are mentioned in the same breath as those of the late '50s and that's quite some feat.

I hope he is remembered more for returning Gibson to its quality roots in offering up the likes of the Historic Division more than the DarkFireDuskTigerFirebirdX experiments.

The experiments were fine and their results might prove to be important in the future but, perhaps, they diverted too much attention too soon and too completely.

Pip.

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Dear Gibson,

First, thank you for making such fine instruments. You have made my life and countless others better as a result. I hope you do so for many, many years to come.

As for Henry Juszkiewicz, I believe he did the best he could and had Gibson's best interest at heart, whether he was right or wrong at any given moment. It is indeed ironic that once he saved Gibson from bankruptcy and now here we are again. You win some, you,lose some. That's life. Nevertheless, I do thank him for what he did and wish him the best.

To Nat Zilkha, congratulations! I own some exceptional instruments made by Gibson that I am truly thankful for and proud to own. Interestingly, some were made before the bankruptcy, one during the bankruptcy and one is currently being made as we speak. In fact, I placed an order for a guitar the day Gibson filed for bankruptcy. I hope and trust that you will continue in the Gibson tradition of excellence and I hope to buy many more guitars from Gibson in the future. Best wishes to you too as you take on this new challenge.

I know there are people here on the forum and elsewhere who have different perspectives on all this and that's okay. This is just mine.

Good luck!

BD

I couldn't read the article due to the big banner telling me how much my privacy was valued.

I got the gist of it though and agree its quite sad. Despite his mistakes, without Henry I would not own a LP Less+, and I am glad that I do. I know there are others who value some of these initiatives as well.

Dear Gibson,

First, thank you for making such fine instruments. You have made my life and countless others better as a result. I hope you do so for many, many years to come.

As for Henry Juszkiewicz, I believe he did the best he could and had Gibson's best interest at heart, whether he was right or wrong at any given moment. It is indeed ironic that once he saved Gibson from bankruptcy and now here we are again. You win some, you,lose some. That's life. Nevertheless, I do thank him for what he did and wish him the best.

To Nat Zilkha, congratulations! I own some exceptional instruments made by Gibson that I am truly thankful for and proud to own. Interestingly, some were made before the bankruptcy, one during the bankruptcy and one is currently being made as we speak. In fact, I placed an order for a guitar the day Gibson filed for bankruptcy. I hope and trust that you will continue in the Gibson tradition of excellence and I hope to buy many more guitars from Gibson in the future. Best wishes to you too as you take on this new challenge.

I know there are people here on the forum and elsewhere who have different perspectives on all this and that's okay. This is just mine.

Good luck!

BD

msp_thumbup.gif

I wonder if this would have happened if the Government hadn't raided and persecuted Gibson?

That's a good question. I wonder how much money they lost as a result of that? Probably not enough to change the trajectory of the whole thing but I'm sure it didn't help.

So it seems that it cost them a couple million in legal fees and settlement fees. All based on bogus charges. Painful, but not enough to stop the what ultimately led to the bankruptcy.

http://humanevents.com/2014/05/30/the-true-villains-behind-the-gibson-guitar-raid-are-revealed/

At least they mocked the government by making these:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Les-Paul.aspx

I should buy one just for fun.

So it seems that it cost them a couple million in legal fees and settlement fees. All based on bogus charges. Painful, but not enough to stop the what ultimately led to the bankruptcy.

http://humanevents.c...d-are-revealed/

http://www.gibson.co...I-Les-Paul.aspx

Very interesting read, I did not know this.

http://humanevents.com/2014/05/30/the-true-villains-behind-the-gibson-guitar-raid-are-revealed/

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Les-Paul.aspx

Yeah, that's it, it was the government. Says every two bit non bill paying CEO ever. Please.

rct

I agree with the comments above regarding Henry, we have a lot to be grateful for, if it wasn't for Henry and Dave Berryman we'd probably all be playing PRS's now. Such a shame it's ended like this, we must wish them well for the future.

Ian

I agree with the comments above regarding Henry, we have a lot to be grateful for, if it wasn't for Henry and Dave Berryman we'd probably all be playing PRS's now. Such a shame it's ended like this, we must wish them well for the future.

Ian

And the wives and children of Henry and Dave wouldn't have trust accounts expensed to the company. That's what I've been paying for since the 70's.

rct

Archived