Gibson Brands Forums

Ace Frehley Spaceman

Guitar God

i liked kiss the best before they became a marketing juggernaut. dressed to kill (in my opinion) was their musical high water mark. the harmonies were awesome, and for it's day, the songs were pretty good. i love first 3 albums. after that, the focus changed, and so did the production on the records. ace was my hero too, i grew up in the 70's.

whatever the hell the blue blinky field is that appears in the post window these days really gets on my nerves.

I am "pro" Ace. Gene "the money grubber" Simmons is a big turnoff to me, and I (for quite a while now) no longer want any of my dollars to go to him. Personally, I just don't think there is a lot of good rock and roll these days (been that way for a good ten years or so), so I am always looking for new good music -- it is so rare to find any. At the very least I will check it out -- hopefully, it is good. Thanks for the heads up!

617XBgBs8gL._SX425_.jpg

I've got mine pre-ordered. I also grew up in the 70's and was a huge Ace/KISS fan and he's one of the reasons I'm playing electric guitar, Gibsons and Les Pauls. While Gene and Paul are doing different styles of music, Ace is still Ace.

• 4 weeks later...

For the record, I did check it out. It did not move me enough to download it. But I really think they should kick out Tommy Thayer and do the last Kiss tour with him!

Tommy Thayer is a decent guitarist but they want him to play like Ace so why not get Ace? I'm not going to go see KISS for their "final tour" because I've seen the original, seen other versions over the years and I'd rather save my money to see Ace and not someone playing Ace on stage. The album is pretty decent. It's Ace, sounds like Ace, you can tell it's Ace. If you're a fan, you'll like it.

space-ace.jpg

Tommy Thayer is a decent guitarist but they want him to play like Ace so why not get Ace? I'm not going to go see KISS for their "final tour" because I've seen the original, seen other versions over the years and I'd rather save my money to see Ace and not someone playing Ace on stage. The album is pretty decent. It's Ace, sounds like Ace, you can tell it's Ace. If you're a fan, you'll like it.

space-ace.jpg

It just ain't that simple.

Either you've never been in a band or you are

not familiar with the group dynamics in KISS.

It just ain't that simple.

Either you've never been in a band or you are

not familiar with the group dynamics in KISS.

It is not about group dynamics ... It is all about cash. Tommy Thayer is just a hired gun working on the cheap compared to what ACE would demand. This is just a simple 2-year-long farewell-tour money-grab with all of the profits split evenly between Gene and Paul after expenses (including Doc McGee's huge cut) -- Tommy Thayer is just another "expense". And 50-50 sounds alot better to Gene/Paul than than 40-40-20 or some other regime to split the money with Ace. And the ink has likely dried on all the tour contracts, so any change now is highly unlikely even if they wanted to do it. Simple as that...

i liked kiss the best before they became a marketing juggernaut. dressed to kill (in my opinion) was their musical high water mark. the harmonies were awesome, and for it's day, the songs were pretty good. i love first 3 albums. after that, the focus changed, and so did the production on the records. ace was my hero too, i grew up in the 70's.

whatever the hell the blue blinky field is that appears in the post window these days really gets on my nerves.

DTK is a fantastic album. My favorite is Rock And Roll Over, though it was always hard for me to pick a favorite album since they're my all time favorite band and reason I started playing guitar at 8 years old and what inspired my love for Gibson and Les Pauls.

Space Ace has had an undeniable influence on countless guitarists.

KISS were ground-breaking - Alive! just rips pure rock energy - I am 70s as well. I was there also.

Same! They're the reason I started playing guitar. But, I was born in '92, so I missed the '70's. I started playing at 8 years old after seeing the KISS THE LAST KISS concert airing on Direct TV Pay Per View back in 2000 with my mom and dad. I was hooked after that and I was glad I walked in the living room that night to see what they were watching, haha.

Same! They're the reason I started playing guitar. But, I was born in '92, so I missed the '70's. I started playing at 8 years old after seeing the KISS THE LAST KISS concert airing on Direct TV Pay Per View back in 2000 with my mom and dad. I was hooked after that and I was glad I walked in the living room that night to see what they were watching, haha.

I grew up in the 70's during the KISS years. Alive! was my first KISS album and I got it in 1975 on 8-track. Ace and Paul are the main reasons I play Gibson Les Pauls (Ace) and Flying V's (Paul). Hearing them when my parents were mostly listening to country and big band era music gave me that spark and I started listening to more rock and blues back in the 70's and picked up my first guitar in 1977. I learned I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash first (from a friend of mine) then Firehouse by KISS was the second song. It was that one album that got me listening to more rock and blues.

I grew up in the 70's during the KISS years. Alive! was my first KISS album and I got it in 1975 on 8-track. Ace and Paul are the main reasons I play Gibson Les Pauls (Ace) and Flying V's (Paul). Hearing them when my parents were mostly listening to country and big band era music gave me that spark and I started listening to more rock and blues back in the 70's and picked up my first guitar in 1977. I learned I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash first (from a friend of mine) then Firehouse by KISS was the second song. It was that one album that got me listening to more rock and blues.

I was fortunate enough to have a dad and mom who loved classic rock, blues, and the glam stuff, so that's what I was raised on. Grew up on some disco, too, because my mom and dad were both born in the '60's, so everyone born then grew up with it whether you loved it or hated it, haha. They had some disco cds/albums lying around the house, haha. My dad plays drums and loves classic rock, blues, and the '80's glam stuff and even played in blues bands before I was born, so I had a good knowledge of those guys at a very young age.

• 1 month later...

It is not about group dynamics ... It is all about cash. Tommy Thayer is just a hired gun working on the cheap compared to what ACE would demand. This is just a simple 2-year-long farewell-tour money-grab with all of the profits split evenly between Gene and Paul after expenses (including Doc McGee's huge cut) -- Tommy Thayer is just another "expense". And 50-50 sounds alot better to Gene/Paul than than 40-40-20 or some other regime to split the money with Ace. And the ink has likely dried on all the tour contracts, so any change now is highly unlikely even if they wanted to do it. Simple as that...

(published 12/15/18) Ace: "The only way I would consider coming back is [if] I took over Tommy's [Thayer] place. He took over my place — a character that I invented. He's pretty much going through the motions, but the only way I would consider going back is to replace Tommy and regain my throne. Number two, I'd like a big paycheck because I think I deserve it... I don't think Paul [and Gene] are going to make me an equal partner. I quit a long time ago and I was an equal partner at that juncture. Since then, those guys have been running the show, and they're control freaks, so they're always going to run the show from now until the end of time. On the last reunion tour, I was a paid musician — a hired gun in a sense — even though on stage, we all looked like it was one for all and all for one."

Not a Kiss fan but I kinda like Ace.

Alive! was the first album I bought. But after Destroyer there is nothing I have enjoyed. I still listen to the early records occasionally.

On a related note I heard Back in the New York Groove the other day. Forgot all about that song... Always got a kick out of the fact that of the four solo albums, he had the only hit. That musta chapped Gene and Paul's a$$es good! [biggrin]

Archived