Gibson Brands Forums

Post a picture of yerself

Mr. Gibson

Here are a few.

The 'Truth' lies somewhere in between them all!

In casual dress on a location shoot (some weeks ago now) with Leica IIIb, 5cm f2 collapsible Summitar.

Me_with_IIIb_F_n_M_Lo-res.jpg

A few days later with L16783.

Mewith_LP-_Bluein85v2lo-res.jpg

And even more recently as snapped by my daughter.

L1433724_v2_lo-res_framed.jpg

Pip.

Thanks! It IS my old '07 ebony Epiphone LP Standard. That guitar got me back into playing after many years of slacking off! I still own this one, but spend most of my playing time on my (new-to-me) '04 ebony Gibson LP Studio. I was actually quite impressed to discover that my Epi Standard weighs almost 9lbs while my Gibson Studio weighs 10.2 lbs (including Bigsby and Vibramate mount kit). Apparently neither of these is of the "weight relieved" variety!

Mike

Cool LP

...I spend most of my playing time on my (new-to-me) '04 ebony Gibson LP Studio. I was actually quite impressed to discover that my......Gibson Studio weighs 10.2 lbs (including Bigsby and Vibramate mount kit). Apparently neither of these is of the "weight relieved" variety!...

Sincere apologies for going off-topic for a minute but in the name of pedantry a bit of a history lesson for those new to the class this semester...

I'm absolutely sure they will both be very fine instruments, Mike, but the LP Studio will - without the shadow of a doubt - be 9-hole weight-relieved. Every USA-line Gibson Les Paul built between late 1982 and 2013 was weight-relieved in one way or another. Until 2006 the 9-hole 'Swiss Cheese' method was ubiquitous. The 2013 Trad was the first USA-line LP to be solid-bodied for 30 years.

The only solid-bodied Gibson Les Pauls made after '82 and before '13 were the re-issues and, FWIW, as these solid-bodied instruments use the lightest mahogany for their body-blanks they are usually somewhat lighter than the 9-hole weight-relieved USA-line instruments. There was a non-laboratory-standard comparison done a while back and having checked over five dozen RIs who had their weights published the re-issues averaged out (IIRC) at 8lbs 12oz. Anything over 9lbs 4oz was extremely unusual.

I know some Epiphones were also weight-relieved - snaps of their body-blanks were posted here a long while back - but haven't a clue as to any of the details of which years/models were included.

OK; History Lesson over. Back to Snaps!

Pip.

See, I've got to catch up on the lingo! I was not understanding the difference between "weight relieved" and "chambered". Thank you, for enlightening me. I guess all I was saying is that both of my guitars are on the heavier side! I won't make the same error again!

Mike

Sincere apologies for going off-topic for a minute but in the name of pedantry a bit of a history lesson for those new to the class this semester...

I'm absolutely sure they will both be very fine instruments, Mike, but the LP Studio will - without the shadow of a doubt - be 9-hole weight-relieved. Every USA-line Gibson Les Paul built between late 1982 and 2013 was weight-relieved in one way or another. Until 2006 the 9-hole 'Swiss Cheese' method was ubiquitous. The 2013 Trad was the first USA-line LP to be solid-bodied for 30 years.

The only solid-bodied Gibson Les Pauls made after '82 and before '13 were the re-issues and, FWIW, as these solid-bodied instruments use the lightest mahogany for their body-blanks they are usually somewhat lighter than the 9-hole weight-relieved USA-line instruments. There was a non-laboratory-standard comparison done a while back and having checked over five dozen RIs who had their weights published the re-issues averaged out (IIRC) at 8lbs 12oz. Anything over 9lbs 4oz was extremely unusual.

I know some Epiphones were also weight-relieved - snaps of their body-blanks were posted here a long while back - but haven't a clue as to any of the details of which years/models were included.

OK; History Lesson over. Back to Snaps!

Pip.

Archived