Gibson Brands Forums

What is the worn neck marketing about?

RudyH

In the context of relic-ed guitars I have repeatedly seen phrases like "the neck is worn in". What does that mean? Do guitar players apply abrasives to their fretting palms to physically wear the neck? I cannot imagin any amount of handling that would change the contours of the neck over time. I do expect that handling will polish it over time.

Can you actually feel the difference between an old guitar neck and a new one? What are you feeling that is different?

I dont think it reffers to the contour but to the finish... some people (me included) dont like those shiny sticky necks.

Fender (at least for the USA line) makes necks with satin finish (or was it no finish???) and they feel great...

I used to own a peavey wolfgang custom and it had an oil finish in the neck, but that was it, the neck felt like bare wood... great! (actually the neck was the only thing I really liked about that tiny little guitar)

Gibson on the other hand, uses nitro, which doesnt really dry out, it just keeps rubbing off and getting into the wood, and at times (and deppending on the weather) can feel sticky as the body of a stripper after a 30 minute show...

Given time (and if they get played often) neck finishes will fade, so some old gibsons have worn off neck backs, you can see that on lots of pics; when that happens, the neck stops feeling sticky and becomes smooth and really nice to play. That's the main reason I chose a standard faded over a "normal" standard, the neck wasn't as sticky, and it made a great difference when playing.

Given time (and if they get played often) neck finishes will fade' date=' so some old gibsons have worn off neck backs, you can see that on lots of pics; when that happens, the neck stops feeling sticky and becomes smooth and really nice to play.[/quote']

My pre-CBS Strat had a bald-patch on the rear of the neck from about the level of the first fret to about the seventh. The funny thing was that, as the evening wore on and my hand was sweating more, that was the area that got sticky - not the lacquered part; That area got more slippery...

Strange sweat?!?:-k

(Probably all those deep-fried Mars Bars breaking through the pores...)

the wood does get worn down too... especially the ridge at the edge of the fretboard.

no, guitar players don't put sandpaper on their hands, but playing a lot still wears it down... and it's noticeable. the first time you play a good, heavily played old guitar then you will understand.

My preference is for a satin or no finish on a neck. My Taylors both have satin finish but my 1993 has become very glossed with use over the last 15 years. It is not a sticky gloss like what I have on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I love the neck thickness on the AJ but was annoyed by the sticky feel after playing for awhile mostly during the summer. I have taken to using 0000 steel wool and rubbing the neck every few weeks. It takes the gloss off and makes it feel like a satin neck. It glosses back up fairly quickly with use, but steel wool is cheap! Just make sure to cover your magnetic pickups or soundhole on an acoustic so metal shavings do not get attached to your pickups!

I have also seen actual ruts worn into some old fingerboards due to years of use. Now those are guitars that have been played!!!

I have also seen actual ruts worn into some old fingerboards due to years of use. Now those are guitars that have been played!!!

I'll try to track down some snaps of my (ex) old Strat; It had a fingerboard like a ploughed field........

Archived