Gibson Brands Forums

Rant About Gibson Bashing

drathbun

The "vintage quality control" thing is one thing that is not romanticized. By the late 1940s, Gibsons were inspected by the craftsman doing the work followed by the line leader, the foreman, the official designated inspector, roving inspectors, spot inspections, and two final inspections after a guitar was finished.

It was also an era of craftsmen who in many cases became lifetime employees with a company. The ability and desire to produce a quality product came via the hands of the individuals who had developed their skills over many years.

Today, we expect a finely crafted instrument to come via highly specialized machines, and a worker that may only be in place for a couple of years before moving on to the next job.

You’re all missing the guys sense of humour

That’s his whole schtick

The grumpy guitar guy

I think his little videos are great fun

Take him with a pinch of salt and you’ll hear that he doesn’t really say any more bad than he does good about the guitar

AND all his points are correct. Pickup wires should have been put in properly. Fret ends shouldn’t be sticking out and the guitar is very expensive

All of his points are NOT correct.

1. "Blush" is a milky white appearance in a nitro finish due to moisture getting into the nitro. It cannot be buffed out.

2. High action is a subjective term and not a factory flaw. The dude even says "they do this" because you can lower it. Raising action after factory exit is more of a problem (replacing saddle or shimming).

3. The sharp fret ends he dresses are in an unreachable place on the fingerboard and might be a humidity issue (might be related to the higher action as well).

4. The "rattle" of the wire is only audible when she shakes the f*** out of that $6000 guitar, shaking it like a maraca. If it doesn't make noise while you are playing or moving the guitar around while sitting or standing, there is no problem. I can make any guitar with a wire inside it make noise if I shake it hard enough.

Finally, this $6000 guitar is under a limited lifetime Gibson warranty (hardware and electronics 1yr), so why are you putting it on a buffing wheel?

You're all missing the guys sense of humour

That's his whole schtick

The grumpy guitar guy

I think his little videos are great fun

Take him with a pinch of salt and you'll hear that he doesn't really say any more bad than he does good about the guitar

AND all his points are correct. Pickup wires should have been put in properly. Fret ends shouldn't be sticking out and the guitar is very expensive

At risk of punishment etc. I agree. He's the grumpy old tongue in cheek guy no matter the guitar he is working to "make better". I enjoy his videos regularly. 'Course, I'm O&G myself and can appreciate good orneriness better than most. :rolleyes:

This alone would disqualify anyone from working on any guitar. By the way, that is a Martin he is working on. He's using a crescent wrench on the end of a non-Martin truss rod wrench. Because the Allen wrench is too short at the handle end, he doesn't have the leverage to turn it so he puts a crescent wrench on it. [scared]

Dave: "Of course I lost, or misplaced the wrench I really want. So we'll just do it the poor man's way."

My translation, Dave: "I'm an idiot"

There may be some funny elements to his videos - this isn't funny in the least.

NNv4OR2.png

Edited by drathbun

I don't know about other people, but I personally don't want a jolly joker anywhere near my expensive acoustics.

Some professions need to keep the joke to themselves - mechanics - no joking, doc - no joking, dentist, cop, judge.....etc. [mellow]

BluesKing777.

How do you (or anyone who wants to weigh in, for that matter) feel about surgeons having music playing in the operating room? AC/DC, Flight of the Valkyries, classical, or ..? ?

How do you (or anyone who wants to weigh in, for that matter) feel about surgeons having music playing in the operating room? AC/DC, Flight of the Valkyries, classical, or ..? ?

I have no problem with any type of music, if the OR Team feels it will help them do a better job. Of course, if they put on Rap - I'll get up and leave.

All of his points are NOT correct.

1. "Blush" is a milky white appearance in a nitro finish due to moisture getting into the nitro. It cannot be buffed out.

2. High action is a subjective term and not a factory flaw. The dude even says "they do this" because you can lower it. Raising action after factory exit is more of a problem (replacing saddle or shimming).

3. The sharp fret ends he dresses are in an unreachable place on the fingerboard and might be a humidity issue (might be related to the higher action as well).

4. The "rattle" of the wire is only audible when she shakes the f*** out of that $6000 guitar, shaking it like a maraca. If it doesn't make noise while you are playing or moving the guitar around while sitting or standing, there is no problem. I can make any guitar with a wire inside it make noise if I shake it hard enough.

Finally, this $6000 guitar is under a limited lifetime Gibson warranty (hardware and electronics 1yr), so why are you putting it on a buffing wheel?

Dave's in Canada Drathbun, Ontario if I remember correctly. There's only a 1 year warranty on Gibson guitars up here and it's through Yorkville, I figured you of all people here would know that. $6000 or $1000, 365 days later and all of those problems listed in the video are on you...

Dave's in Canada Drathbun, Ontario if I remember correctly. There's only a 1-year warranty on Gibson guitars up here and it's through Yorkville, I figured you of all people here would know that. $6000 or $1000, 365 days later and all of those problems listed in the video are on you...

I was not aware that Dave is in Canada. On behalf of Canadians everywhere, I apologize. I apologize for Celine Dion and Nickleback as well.

That being said, Canuck Dave said it was BRAND-NEW, meaning it is under BOTH the Gibson manufacturer's defect warranty and, if it was purchased at L&M, L&M's Performance Warranty for one full year (includes a free, first-time, setup DAVE!).

I worked for Long & McQuade (Yorkville) for a number of years. Yorkville is the Canadian distributor of Gibson. Long & McQuade do the warranty work for Gibson in Canada. So when you buy a new Gibson guitar at L&M, it comes with a one-year limited manufacturer's warranty with Gibson through Yorkville. In addition to the manufacturer's warranty, it also comes with a one-year PERFORMANCE warranty from Long & McQuade which covers pretty much anything other than impact or environmental damage. You can extend the L&M warranty for 4% of the sale price to a maximum of $45/yr for as long as you want.

And get this, if you buy a USED Gibson (or any brand guitar for that matter), L&M provides a FREE one-year PERFORMANCE warranty (including free setup) which is ALSO extendable for a maximum of $45/yr (4% of the sale price up to a max $45).

So yes, Gibson warranties are explicitly USA based. However, they state that warranties for new Gibson instruments purchased outside of the USA are subject to the warranty policies of that county's Gibson authorized distributor. In Canada, that warranty meets AND EXCEEDS Gibson USA for one year with an extremely reasonably priced extended warranty in perpetuity.

I spoke with my L&M representative just now about the L&M and the manufacturer's warranties on new Gibsons purchased at L&M. This is what I posed "If I buy a new Gibson guitar, it comes with a one year manufacturer's defect warranty and a one-year Performance warranty from L&M. If I don't extend my guitar's warranty with L&M after one year, my Gibson guitar is out of warranty and if I find a defect after that, I am SOL correct?" The answer was this "Correct. However, as an L&M customer, I will ask you to bring the guitar to us and see what we can do to help you. Many times we can help with the issue and we will do our best to resolve it within reason."

Long & McQuade Performance Warranty

Of course, if it were purchased at another Gibson dealer in Canada, it still come with a one-year manufacturer's defect warranty which is still handled through Yorkville.

Edited by drathbun

I spoke with my L&M representative just now about the L&M and the manufacturer's warranties on new Gibsons purchased at L&M. This is what I posed "If I buy a new Gibson guitar, it comes with a one year manufacturer's defect warranty and a one-year Performance warranty from L&M. If I don't extend my guitar's warranty with L&M after one year, my Gibson guitar is out of warranty and if I find a defect after that, I am SOL correct?" The answer was this "Correct. However, as an L&M customer, I will ask you to bring the guitar to us and see what we can do to help you. Many times we can help with the issue and we will do our best to resolve it within reason."

Why are you Canadians so rational, and so nice?

I was not aware that Dave is in Canada. On behalf of Canadians everywhere, I apologize. I apologize for Celine Dion and Nickleback as well.

That being said, Canuck Dave said it was BRAND-NEW, meaning it is under BOTH the Gibson manufacturer's defect warranty AND L&M's Performance Warranty for one full year (includes a free, first-time, setup DAVE!).

I worked for Long & McQuade (Yorkville) for a number of years. Yorkville is the Canadian distributor of Gibson. Long & McQuade do the warranty work for Gibson in Canada. So when you buy a new Gibson guitar, it comes with a limited manufacturer's warranty with Gibson through Yorkville. In addition to the manufacturer's warranty, it also comes with a one-year PERFORMANCE warranty from Long & McQuade which covers pretty much anything other than impact or environmental damage. You can extend the L&M warranty for 4% of the sale price to a maximum of $45/yr for as long as you want.

And get this, if you buy a USED Gibson (or any brand guitar for that matter), L&M provides a FREE one-year PERFORMANCE warranty (including free setup) which is ALSO extendable for a maximum of $45/yr (4% of the sale price up to a max $45).

So yes, Gibson warranties are explicitly USA based. However, they state that warranties for new Gibson instruments purchased outside of the USA are subject to the warranty policies of that county's Gibson authorized distributor. In Canada, that warranty meets AND EXCEEDS Gibson USA for one year with an extremely reasonably priced extended warranty in perpetuity.

I've bought a lot through L&M over the years including a couple of new Gibson acoustics, both of which I purchased the extended warranty for. When my Advanced Jumbo needed work, all of which was supposedly covered on my performance warranty card... I was turned down flat. After which I was told if I wished to bring it in I would be looking at a repair cost to the tune of $400+. I brought my guitar to Reid Music (a certified Gibson dealer) and paid less than $200 for the same job. So yes I would say performance warranty or not after 365 days you're on your own. While this may not be the case if you're a former employee with connections, it was for me.

• Upvote 1

I've bought a lot through L&M over the years including a couple of new Gibson acoustics, both of which I purchased the extended warranty for. When my Advanced Jumbo needed work, all of which was supposedly covered on my performance warranty card... I was turned down flat. After which I was told if I wished to bring it in I would be looking at a repair cost to the tune of $400+. I brought my guitar to Reid Music (a certified Gibson dealer) and paid less than $200 for the same job. So yes I would say performance warranty or not after 365 days you're on your own. While this may not be the case if you're a former employee with connections, it was for me.

Well, I'm not sure quite what crawled up your butt, but that is twice now you have insulted me without cause. First, when you assumed I should know Dave was a Canadian and second when you implied that I've received favouritism from L&M either while I was an employee or since.

The whole point of my rant about Dave was that the guitar was BRAND NEW and under warranty. Unless you are in the USA, that warranty is only ONE YEAR everywhere on the freakin' planet. I also wanted to make the point that Dave was bashing Gibson (and Martin and Taylor and Rickenbacker) for things that are clearly not manufacturer's defects which he, himself, admitted when he said "retail fail". If you are a friend of Dave's, by all means, have him go at your Gibsons with a crescent wrench.

I'm done with you dude.

Well, I'm not sure quite what crawled up your butt, but that is twice now you have insulted me without cause. First, when you assumed I should know Dave was a Canadian and second when you implied that I've received favouritism from L&M either while I was an employee or since.

The whole point of my rant about Dave was that the guitar was BRAND NEW and under warranty. Unless you are in the USA, that warranty is only ONE YEAR everywhere on the freakin' planet. I also wanted to make the point that Dave was bashing Gibson (and Martin and Taylor and Rickenbacker) for things that are clearly not manufacturer's defects which he, himself, admitted when he said "retail fail". If you are a friend of Dave's, by all means, have him go at your Gibsons with a crescent wrench.

I'm done with you dude.

Whoa talk about overreaction

Wambulance.jpg

• Upvote 1

It was also an era of craftsmen who in many cases became lifetime employees with a company. The ability and desire to produce a quality product came via the hands of the individuals who had developed their skills over many years.

Today, we expect a finely crafted instrument to come via highly specialized machines, and a worker that may only be in place for a couple of years before moving on to the next job.

Exactly!

Out of Curiosity... Beings Gibson went Bankrupt.. are all the warranties void ?

Gibson has Built alot of Cool looking guitars.. .. even with the true Custom Shop in Bozeman gone all these years..

Gibson did not go bankrupt, they will emerge from bankruptcy protection next Thursday, November 1 with a fully restructured organization. So, I expect Gibson will honour their current warranties such as they are.

The "Custom Shop" at Bozeman isn't a separate unit like it is for other guitar companies. At Gibson Montana, the "Custom Shop" is the same line of hands that are on the regular line of instruments. The Custom Shop guitar is a special run given special materials, special selection and special handling. That's what I got from my summer 2015 tour of the facility with Jeremy Morton. It might have been something different earlier but I always thought it was the same line and not a different "shop" in Bozeman.

Here is a guy working on a "Custom Shop" Hummingbird and he is part of the regular line. You can see the Custom Shop logo on the back of the neck. (awesome back btw)

47UmjGw.png

Edited by drathbun

Gibson did not go bankrupt, they will emerge from bankruptcy protection next Thursday, November 1 with a fully restructured organization. So, I expect Gibson will honour their current warranties such as they are.

The "Custom Shop" at Bozeman isn't a separate unit like it is for other guitar companies. At Gibson Montana, the "Custom Shop" is the same line of hands that are on the regular line of instruments. The Custom Shop guitar is a special run given special materials, special selection and special handling. That's what I got from my summer 2015 tour of the facility with Jeremy Morton. It might have been something different earlier but I always thought it was the same line and not a different "shop" in Bozeman.

Here is a guy working on a "Custom Shop" Hummingbird and he is part of the regular line. You can see the Custom Shop logo on the back of the neck. (awesome back btw)

47UmjGw.png

Back in the early days.. it was in the same building..and Not part of the production line..

Out of Curiosity... Beings Gibson went Bankrupt.. are all the warranties void ?

Gibson has Built alot of Cool looking guitars.. .. even with the true Custom Shop in Bozeman gone all these years..

Warranties are on the Balance Sheet as 'Future Liabilities". In other words - in order to get an accountant to sign off on your financial statements, which is an absolute must - you have to estimate fairly based on history and consistent quality, how many returns/repairs can be expected. For example, if you sold your Honda Civic and knew the purchaser would likely comeback in the summer because the AC you swore worked, really didn't - you would take the $10k he paid you, and only deposit $9k in your checking account, and put $1K in your sock drawer - to give him in July.

So - yes, the warranties will be honored. Not sure what the warranty coverage is in Canada, though it should be unchanged.

Warranties are on the Balance Sheet as 'Future Liabilities". In other words - in order to get an accountant to sign off on your financial statements, which is an absolute must - you have to estimate fairly based on history and consistent quality, how many returns/repairs can be expected. For example, if you sold your Honda Civic and knew the purchaser would likely comeback in the summer because the AC you swore worked, really didn't - you would take the $10k he paid you, and only deposit $9k in your checking account, and put $1K in your sock drawer - to give him in July.

So - yes, the warranties will be honored. Not sure what the warranty coverage is in Canada, though it should be unchanged.

The warranty in Canada is one-year manufacturer defect.

Back in the early days.. it was in the same building..and Not part of the production line..

So "early days" slimt? Is that before Bozeman? Or, at some point, did Ren change the Custom Shop process? They began production in Bozeman in 1990 and Ren left in 2012. Was it when Ren left?