Gibson Brands Forums

Jason Isbell

livemusic

LOL, I want to know how Jason Isbell pronounces his last name. I recall that he said in an interview one time it was IZ-bul, not much time between the two syllables and the last syllable being "bell." But who knows, I may have dreamed it. I have searched and can only find him being introduced by David Letterman, and he said IZ--bell with a definite pause between the two syllables. Anyone know?

I saw an interview with him when he said few gets his last name right, and that it is not ”Is-bell” but instead ”Isble”.

I'm a huge fan of his, and for me he is the one that speaks to me the most out of currently active musicians.

I was actually listening to this very interesting interview with him when I saw your question.

https://offcamera.com/issues/jason-isbell/listen/#.W84JsYqeyhA

He's a very well spoken and interesting fellow to listen to. There's a whole lot to learn about the process of writing songs in this interview.

Lars

I saw an interview with him when he said few gets his last name right, and that it is not ”Is-bell” but instead ”Isble”.

I'm a huge fan of his, and for me he is the one that speaks to me the most out of currently active musicians.

I was actually listening to this very interesting interview with him when I saw your question.

https://offcamera.com/issues/jason-isbell/listen/#.W84JsYqeyhA

He's a very well spoken and interesting fellow to listen to. There's a whole lot to learn about the process of writing songs in this interview.

Lars

Thanks so much, Lars, the way he is introduced in that interview is exactly what I remembered... Izbul.

Yep, he's as good as they come in modern songwriters and yes, he is very intelligent.

Yes, he says his name on the live record just before launching into a seriously rocking version of Like a Hurricane. Love that guy.

This is the kind of comment that has me surfing YouTube and Spotify instead of going upstairs to make music. :lol:

Oh, and thanks for the tip! It's very good.

Archived