Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson HP poor quality

eltoffer

thi is my 5th attempt trying to get some help from you.

Hi I feel very disappointed to write you about this matter.

I bought a LP HP 2017 a few months ago, this was the guitar of my dreams and once I got the chance to perform live and playing live music as my lifestyle , I did the effort to get it. Everything was great until now I had to change the strings and make some adjustments when I finally did the whole process, I noticed that one looking thumbwheel was loose when I screwed the lock cap on, to finally realice the tip was broke/fall apart, I have read on your forum there are some people with the same issue, I have also noticed on your next HP models (2018, 2019) you removed the locking caps both on the bridge and stopbar, to be honest I found this feature a great one, and this was one main reasons to pick this particular model, I do assume you already know about this issue, but we all costumers have no guilty, you offer the “premium” guitars as the HP models but that’s no true.

Take it back, to your local dealer, where the guitar was purchased, and they can either repair, or ask Gibson for a repair,

or possible replacement, if still under warranty. If you purchased it "on line," then you'll need to return it, to that dealer, and

go from there. Other wise, you will have to find a competent luthier, or repair person(s), and pay for the repairs, yourself.

The forum members can't do anything for you, except share their sympathies, their own stories, and/or offer you other kinds

of advice.

Good Luck!

CB

IDK if I am reading this correctly but it sounds like the OP is referring to the 'LOCK' on the STOP-TAIL, or NO? This is a not-so-difficult problem. Unless I am incorrect.The problem is often misunderstanding of how the mechanism works, its not really a 'LOCK' in the sense of what most people undestand a 'LOCK' to be. The 'LOCK' is the same type of mechanism I have on my 2018 ES-335 Trad.. They are just 'CAPS' that are screwed down onto a threaded post that comes up into the STOP-TAIL, WHICH IS UNLIKE ANY OTHER STOP-TAIL POST most players' of GIBSON USA electric's have ever seen.IF THE CAP IS REMOVED AND SEPARATES FROM THE POST, The CAP/'LOCK' TOP must be seated correctly before tightening down and that can be tricky especially if the STOP-TAIL is 'COCKED' due to setting the Bass & Treble sides @ differring heights. Also when taking it apart or 'UN-LOCKING'....it is a very good idea to take the tension off of the strings and when doing the actual loosening with the Screw Driver to only loosen the CAP/'LOCK' very slightly, say 3/4 turn at most.

I received this from GIBSON, in an e-mail when I asked a similar question about this mechanism (and AGAIN, if I am reading this in-correctly, STFU, I am only trying to help the OP).******NOTE******To see the picture 'HIGHLIGHT' and CLICK, or copy into a URL address bar and click.

All the tools needed are on the multi tool that shipped with the guitar. Take the flat head screw driver and loosen the lock by turning to the left at the top of the stud. Once that is loose then take the Allen wrench and insert it into the center of the stud and turn to the right. Once the tailpiece is at the desired height then tighten the lock back down. Be sure not to over tighten the lock. It doesn't need to be real tight at all. I hope this makes sense. It's not hard to do. Just really odd to explain.

thi is my 5th attempt trying to get some help from you.

Hi I feel very disappointed to write you about this matter.

I bought a LP HP 2017 a few months ago, this was the guitar of my dreams and once I got the chance to perform live and playing live music as my lifestyle , I did the effort to get it. Everything was great until now I had to change the strings and make some adjustments when I finally did the whole process, I noticed that one looking thumbwheel was loose when I screwed the lock cap on, to finally realice the tip was broke/fall apart, I have read on your forum there are some people with the same issue, I have also noticed on your next HP models (2018, 2019) you removed the locking caps both on the bridge and stopbar, to be honest I found this feature a great one, and this was one main reasons to pick this particular model, I do assume you already know about this issue, but we all costumers have no guilty, you offer the "premium" guitars as the HP models but that's no true.

SIR, THIS IS VERY FIXABLE..... just please be calm and see the previous post I made BEFORE you ruin the STOP-TAIL POSTS. The url address's are very helful pictures GIBSON sent to me:

and will help you put it back together, IT IS NOT DIFFICULT, just proceed slowly !

Take it back, to your local dealer, where the guitar was purchased, and they can either repair, or ask Gibson for a repair,

or possible replacement, if still under warranty. If you purchased it "on line," then you'll need to return it, to that dealer, and

go from there. Other wise, you will have to find a competent luthier, or repair person(s), and pay for the repairs, yourself.

The forum members can't do anything for you, except share their sympathies, their own stories, and/or offer you other kinds

of advice.

Good Luck!

CB

Thank man, Im just frustrated I have tried to reach them by mail (service@gibson.com) but no success the guitar is under warranty I was brand new when I purchased it,

If it was bought new it has a lifetime Warranty. If it's a defect call Gibson. Tell them you want to send it to them for Warranty Repair.

I haven't received ANY reply from Gibson yet, that's why I came here trying to get some help from an admin, or the right email service

5th time?

Something doesn't add up...

By email, by forum, by their website customer support messages...

Why do all these posts read about the same (and in length as well)?

Almost feel like they're written by the same person.

Yeah, looking to stir up the QC pot each time.

Oh come on!! if this is all the support you can provide, save it. Just take my place, this kind of guitar is not the cheapest one moreover i had tried to reach them 5 times in almost 3 weeks and NO reply at all, I could be less dramatic if only they show some empathy for their customers

Thank man, Im just frustrated I have tried to reach them by mail (service@gibson.com) but no success the guitar is under warranty I was brand new when I purchased it,

I haven't received ANY reply from Gibson yet, that's why I came here trying to get some help from an admin, or the right email service

By email, by forum, by their website customer support messages...

Oh come on!! if this is all the support you can provide, save it. Just take my place, this kind of guitar is not the cheapest one moreover i had tried to reach them 5 times in almost 3 weeks and NO reply at all, I could be less dramatic if only they show some empathy for their customers

Don't waste your time emailing them.. Call the 800 number. Ask for Customer Service. Tell them the problem & that you want to send to them to do the Warranty Repair work..

I do not know where you are located but a phone call to them will get the ball rolling, obviously email is not working.

USA: 1-800-4GIBSON

Europe: 00+8004GIBSON1

of advice.

Good Luck!

CB

eltoffer, CB has the best advice above. don't get annoyed with one or two of the posts.all things considered everyone showed constraint. this is really just a case of common sense. if something goes wrong with a new car you buy do you expect the CEO of the company to fix it ? you take the car back to the dealership where you bought it and let them fix it. if it's a big fix, THEY in turn contact the mother ship ...

you can't expect GIBSON to contact you regarding a required repair. you take your car to a mechanic, take your guitar to a guitar shop. if you feel sick, go to a doctor.

Just we've seen quite a number of posts that give very long stories, trigger the "it's a QC fault" in the sentences this summer alone.

Sorry this is only a user/player forum, you won't find anyone here able to walk over to a desk at Gibson and say "can you help this guy".

Call the numbers given above or better yet like in post #2, take it back to where you bought it

Hi,

I know you are anxious and feel frustrated, but you are not speaking to Gibson here. This is a user forum.

People here can only point you in the right direction, and it looks as though they have done that.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

I've had Gibsons for years. Whenever one of my Guitars has a possible Warranty issue I call Gibsons 800 Number talk to Customer Service & send them the Guitar & they take care of it. I've done this several times over the years & as recently as 2018 with my Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul. Which came back Perfect!

Lars

Well finally I got back form Gibson, they state to send the replacement part to me lets see what happen next, I would take 10-15 days and this is the actual issue

post-96011-051202200 1540788372_thumb.jpg

post-96011-093857300 1540788381_thumb.jpg

Well that looks like an over-complicated mess, (bridge and tailpiece) I’m glad my 2017 SG didn’t come with that.

How it supposed to work, and what does it improve?

Well finally I got back form Gibson, they state to send the replacement part to me lets see what happen next, I would take 10-15 days and this is the actual issue

post-96011-051202200 1540788372_thumb.jpg

post-96011-093857300 1540788381_thumb.jpg

Someone over-tightened the Bass side Bridge Post and sheered the threaded part of the tip right off.....Obviously it just needs a new Bass side Bridge Adjustable Post w/thumbwheel and maybe the top/'locking' cap ! Once you get the piece for it, just tighten it slightly or the same thing will happen again. IF GIBSON saw that picture IDK if they would consider it a warranty issue, that was done by someone that did not know what they were doing, sheering the top off that post is a MAJOR EFF-UP !.

I'm still curious why you didn't send it to Gibson & have them do the Warranty Repair work? They are excellent in my experience... The few Guitars I've had to send them over many years have come back to me as perfect as a Guitar can be in every respect. Including the Set up they've done on each of them...

Lars

Archived