Gibson Brands Forums

TC Helicon Play Acoustic...Opinions?

sbpark

I've never been much a fan for boxes like this, and usually just prefer capturing ideas into my iPhone so I dont forget them, then later on going into Logic to record a better version. But lately I've been thinking about picking up a TC Helicon Play acoustic to use as a songwriting tool, especially to experiment with harmonies and just get a more polished sound for demos. I could also use the USB out and record directly into Logic and later add more textural sounds, overdubs, etc.

SO what say you guys? Anyone use the Play Acoustic as a singer/songwriter tool?

I have the TC Helicon Voicelive 3 (basically the Play Acoustic’s big brother) which is absolutely superb. I use it for vocal processing and run the guitar FX section in the effects loop of my Boss AD10.

As a live vocal processor it’s second to none. I don’t use the harmoniser, but for compression, EQ, reverb and de-essing it’s wonderful. I use a Sennheiser E865 condenser for live work, and through the VL3 it honestly sounds like a studio vocal.

The Play Acoustic is a very good unit. I wanted the extra toys of the VL3, but if i’d wanted something more compact and straightforward I’d have bought the PA.

I prefer my Boss VE8 with the (way easier) knobs on the box for most functions instead of the TC menus. I sold my TC PA after buying the Boss.

This recording I did last week was using the Boss VE8 - guitar in one side with no effects, vocal in the other side with reverb and eq/comp and one harmony (Keef), Mixed in the box and run direct to my mixer/iMac. Details below.:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/144465-honk/

BluesKing777.

I bouth the Play Acoustic, and though it was great for vocal processing and harmonies, but poor on looping and guitar effects.

Got the Boss VE-8 and used that for a good year, but then i came to conclusion the Play Acoustic just had much better vocal and harmony tone, so went back to that.

Then I bouth a used VoiceLive -3 which has outstanding vocal, harmonies, guitar effects looping option ...except its like a spaceship and Im still figuring out how to use it :unsure:

However, on a budget, the Play Acoustic is unbeatable.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I ended up ordering the VE8. I've been eyeballing these two boxes off and on since 2016 and briefly considered the the TC VL3X. I just plan to use the device as a very basic songwriting tool. Wanted something that sounded better than recording ideas into my iPhone, but something easier than going full bore and breaking out my entire recording setup. Honestly, I'e be using it pretty much the same way BluesKing777 seems to be using his; acoustic guitar and a vocal with some very basic harmonies that are far enough back in the mix so they don't sound so artificial (and I think his use of harmonies with the VE8 sounds fantastic, btw). I also liked the more flexible IN/OUT options of the VE8.

At first I thought the TC Play acoustic was going to be the one I went with because of the lack of a screen with the Boss VE8, but in my opinion the VE8 seems (to me) easier to just "plug and play" so to speak. All the basic/rudimentary controls are right there on the device and tangible, while the PA requires going through screens for essentially everything. I think this is just a matter of personal preference and I just preferred the controls for the most basic functions to be right in front of me all the time. It does seem to get a little more complicated when you want to dive a little deeper into the VE8 controls, but I watched this video which really explained a lot about using the VE8 and how to use it:

The other thing that muddied the waters and had me going back and forth between the PA and VE8 were that most thought the PA's vocals sounded better, while the VE8's guitars sounded better, and even though I'm primarily getting one of these for the vocal harmonies and for songwriting ideas/demos, I still went with the VE8 because of how nice BK's tunes have sounded using the VE8.

If someone is looking for a device that does EVERYTHING, including automation of effects, editing, importing loops and whatnot, recording performances, etc., the VL3X seems to be the clear winner, but I use Logic to record and can do all that stuff in Logic. If I was a serious solo performer with a setlist of songs that required backing tracks and what not, the VL3X seems to be the perfect device.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I ended up ordering the VE8. I've been eyeballing these two boxes off and on since 2016 and briefly considered the the TC VL3X. I just plan to use the device as a very basic songwriting tool. Wanted something that sounded better than recording ideas into my iPhone, but something easier than going full bore and breaking out my entire recording setup. Honestly, I'e be using it pretty much the same way BluesKing777 seems to be using his; acoustic guitar and a vocal with some very basic harmonies that are far enough back in the mix so they don't sound so artificial (and I think his use of harmonies with the VE8 sounds fantastic, btw). I also liked the more flexible IN/OUT options of the VE8.

At first I thought the TC Play acoustic was going to be the one I went with because of the lack of a screen with the Boss VE8, but in my opinion the VE8 seems (to me) easier to just "plug and play" so to speak. All the basic/rudimentary controls are right there on the device and tangible, while the PA requires going through screens for essentially everything. I think this is just a matter of personal preference and I just preferred the controls for the most basic functions to be right in front of me all the time. It does seem to get a little more complicated when you want to dive a little deeper into the VE8 controls, but I watched this video which really explained a lot about using the VE8 and how to use it:

The other thing that muddied the waters and had me going back and forth between the PA and VE8 were that most thought the PA's vocals sounded better, while the VE8's guitars sounded better, and even though I'm primarily getting one of these for the vocal harmonies and for songwriting ideas/demos, I still went with the VE8 because of how nice BK's tunes have sounded using the VE8.

If someone is looking for a device that does EVERYTHING, including automation of effects, editing, importing loops and whatnot, recording performances, etc., the VL3X seems to be the clear winner, but I use Logic to record and can do all that stuff in Logic. If I was a serious solo performer with a setlist of songs that required backing tracks and what not, the VL3X seems to be the perfect device.

SB just seen this for I was off the grid for awhile, but I would like to comment on the TC Helicon. I have had mine for about 4 years now and I rely so much on this thing being a 1 man band and all. First I love the way the body rez works to smooth out the quack that you can get through a PA. TC has some of the best reverbs out there IMAO. The harmonies come in handy if used subtly, and it has a tuner and loop, but not really user friendly in my estimation.

All in all for my small gigs I have found a place for it in my arsenal. I added it to a small pedal board with a looper and boss tuner and it works for me.

Archived