Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a Kluson replacement with a better gear ratio on the market?

EpiSheriMan

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my previous post on my quest to upgrade my Kluson tuners on my '63 Country Western. I tracked down some hard to find Tonepros 15:1 ratio replacements (i think Tonepros have now stopped making these) which just arrived but will unfortunately require some headstock drilling which I'm a bit reluctant to to. (Link to a photo: IMG_7791 )

I've been scouring the internet for a drop in replacement but it appears that Faber, Gotoh or even Schaler DON'T have a white buton drop in replacement. You can find tulip or chrome buttons but no white 15:1 [confused]

Am I missing something? Does anyone know of a Kluson replacement with a better gear ratio currently availble on the market that does not require drilling?

An thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated....

**** Note: I tried to post images but I thing the board no longer accepts Flicker links ](*,)

I do love the look at the Waverly's, are there ways you would you say they exceed other tuners (i.e a Kluson, Gotoh... )?

Rgds - billroy

The SJ had chrome butter bean Govers that I replaced strictly for asthetic reasons only. They’re smooth and hold tune, that’s all I need. I’ve never had trouble with the Grover’s and Schaler either.

Although I have some, I’ve yet to use the Tonepro’s but I’m getting ready to replace the tuners on my vintage Banner.

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my previous post on my quest to upgrade my Kluson tuners on my '63 Country Western. I tracked down some hard to find Tonepros 15:1 ratio replacements (i think Tonepros have now stopped making these) which just arrived but will unfortunately require some headstock drilling which I'm a bit reluctant to to. (Link to a photo: https://flic.kr/p/2aXCeQ2 )

I've been scouring the internet for a drop in replacement but it appears that Faber, Gotoh or even Schaler DON'T have a white buton drop in replacement. You can find tulip or chrome buttons but no white 15:1 [confused]

Am I missing something? Does anyone know of a Kluson replacement with a better gear ratio currently availble on the market that does not require drilling?

An thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated....

**** Note: I tried to post images but I thing the board no longer accepts Flicker links ](*,)

WD Klusons:

10nx36a.jpg

They are 15:1

Did you check out Waverly’s

BC882F93-33E6-490F-AC1B-05B87B39F038_zpsg9glgeee.jpg

Thanks Dave, Yeah I've tried Kidney bean style Waverlys but not with the white buttons like the original CW has. To be honest, I'm not keen on the look with the indent marks that the original Kluson's leave on the back of the headstock that are visible when you put on the Waverely's (...if that makes any sense)

Question: Off subject, How did you get photos up on the site? I used to use Flicker but it doesn't seem to work anymore.... [confused]

Even though the gear ratio is the same, the new Klusons are smother than the older ones are. IMHO

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/tuner-kluson-plastic-3-side-nickelwhite

Thanks Paul. I wonder if the Kluson replacements that I bought new about 10 years ago (...and then reliced) were 12:1 or 15:1. They honestly don't feel very well made and have major slippage, hence me leaning towards the Tonepros, or a brand that would drop in with the need for drilling?

[scared]

Thanks Paul. I wonder if the Kluson replacements that I bought new about 10 years ago (...and then reliced) were 12:1 or 15:1. They honestly don't feel very well made and have major slippage, hence me leaning towards the Tonepros, or a brand that would drop in with the need for drilling?

[scared]

The ones on my 2005 J-45 kind of suck. I don’t know what the gear ratio is but,,,,, . It’s kind of weird, but the ones on my 2000 J-200, are as good as any of the Grover’s I have! Go figure!

The newer Klusons get rav reviews. You could give StewMac a call, I’m Sure they would be happy to discuss this with you.

The ones on my 2005 J-45 kind of suck. I don’t know what the gear ratio is but,,,,, . It’s kind of weird, but the ones on my 2000 J-200, are as good as any of the Grover’s I have! Go figure!

The newer Klusons get rav reviews. You could give StewMac a call, I’m Sure they would be happy to discuss this with you.

Cheers Paul. I'm in the UK so that's kind of a pain to call Stu Mac. I'm either going to buy a new pair of the standard Klusons and see if they are now better or buy a set of the Faber ones https://faberusa.com/product/3507-faber-diecast-3x3-tuners-aged-nickel/

....and change the tulip pegs to white buttons.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

[thumbup]

Here the photos by the way. I found a free site that hosts photos, its PostImage.org Unfortunately it only posts a thumbnail but you can click on the photo and get a link to a larger image.

My new Tonepros on the left and 10 year old Klusons from my CW are on the right.

IMG-7789.jpg

IMG-7791.jpg

Here's the back of my CW headstock

IMG-7788.jpg

Hey epi

I’m in north of Ireland and I used stew Mac a few years ago.

The tuners were with me within a week

Thanks four post Blind boy! I'm in the UK and have ordered from Stew mac in the past but you have to watch the import duty which can get expensive. I always try to find a Euro option to avoid the added charges. [smile]

Archived