Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson has a new CEO

kidblast

Lemme just drive straight into an abutment here. These are the best people they could find in AFreakingMerica? I didn't expect much and these kinds of people aren't much of a surprise. People with sissy hands and big plans. I think I'm just going to forget buying Gibson for now. I've given them more than their fair share of consideration. Gibson has vision problems. They should have backed out of the trouble instead of flooring the gas and trying to bull their way through all the bad decisions. This guy ruined blue jeans and now he's going to straighten Gibson out with some major management-ness. The best thing these new guys can say is that they like playing guitar and have a bunch of Gibsons and that they've ridden some other pony that was already broken. Big deal! Good luck with a bunch of money weasels running the place.

[thumbdn] [thumbdn] [thumbdn] [barfing smiley][Fender smiley]

People whined and squawked about bean counters and now actual, real bean counters are running it so the bond holders can recoup something. They ticked me off the day they filed and I unloaded mine. I've spent a lot on their company over decades and they obviously weren't doing what they should have with that money. Now they'll want more and they'll do less for it. I see no more of their guitars in my future, and that's a shame.

rct

Lemme just drive straight into an abutment here. These are the best people they could find in AFreakingMerica? I didn't expect much and these kinds of people aren't much of a surprise. People with sissy hands and big plans. I think I'm just going to forget buying Gibson for now. I've given them more than their fair share of consideration. Gibson has vision problems. They should have backed out of the trouble instead of flooring the gas and trying to bull their way through all the bad decisions. This guy ruined blue jeans and now he's going to straighten Gibson out with some major management-ness. The best thing these new guys can say is that they like playing guitar and have a bunch of Gibsons and that they've ridden some other pony that was already broken. Big deal! Good luck with a bunch of money weasels running the place.

[thumbdn] [thumbdn] [thumbdn] [barfing smiley][Fender smiley]

I'm kinda in the same boat with badblues. Gibson doesn't need more money managers steering the ship. I'll be interested in hearing their mission statement and their plans for the future.

I'm kinda in the same boat with badblues. Gibson doesn't need more money managers steering the ship. I'll be interested in hearing their mission statement and their plans for the future.

1. Same guitars, more minor differences, "new" colors of sunburst.

2. New parts deals = cheaper parts for you.

3. Failure to maintain relationships with at least 3 case companies = more expensive cases for you.

4. Harley Davidson-like marketing. They've tried youth, millenials, lifestyle. Go back to their core, old guys like me.

5. RAISE PRICES. You watch, prices goin up. It's a strategy and they'll use it.

My free of charge, bitter, jaded predictions, none of which have to come true.

rct

Sounds about right, rct. Hollow bodies are already way overpriced, and if I was to buy another Gibson, which I'm not, that would be one. I've got my 335 and LP, and I'm keeping them. I love Gibsons, but I'm not crazy about Gibson.

I was thinking similar thoughts, but I don’t consider myself knowledgeable about business to the point where I should spread my opinion.

I wear Levi’s jeans pretty much every day, and I think most of us could agree that their quality has never been lower. To be fair they have basically transitioned from work wear to fashion. The thinner fabric can be seen as a way to improve comfort since denim is not being marketed as work wear

I think Levi’s is a company that basically sells the same products they always have, so maybe that is good for Gibson. Maybe Levi’s isn’t necessarily relevant to their plan with Gibson. Hopefully they just sell us the classic Gibson models without changing materials or quality

I wish them luck because they'll need it. We probably won't notice any changes until late next year or 2020 because production plans are probably already made for the next year or two. I'll continue to buy Gibson guitars that I like and shake my head at those I don't. If they go after the real or perceived quality issues and quit making ridiculous guitars for the masses that will appeal to maybe 10 players, that would be a good start. The Star Trek insignia V, the 2019 Tributes and some of the other unusual guitars come to mind. I'd rather see unusual things like that available as a custom order, since they're charging Custom Shop prices on some of those. The 2019 Tributea and the Tribute increased pricing really disappoints me.

But, good luck!

I wish them luck because they'll need it. We probably won't notice any changes until late next year or 2020 because production plans are probably already made for the next year or two. I'll continue to buy Gibson guitars that I like and shake my head at those I don't. If they go after the real or perceived quality issues and quit making ridiculous guitars for the masses that will appeal to maybe 10 players, that would be a good start. The Star Trek insignia V, the 2019 Tributes and some of the other unusual guitars come to mind. I'd rather see unusual things like that available as a custom order, since they're charging Custom Shop prices on some of those. The 2019 Tributea and the Tribute increased pricing really disappoints me.

But, good luck!

I agree with you. I will still buy the ones I like...it is that simple for me.

As I understand it, the guitar end of the business was fairly profitable but some of the other enterprises were not really "core" businesses and not all profitable. It sounds like they will try to spin off some of the electronics companies and get back to their roots. This could be good for the brand. In essence, Gibson got too big for its britches!!! (see what I did there...) [thumbup]

You guys are too funny... everyone wanted Henry out and got their wish, now the new guys are not good enough. Lol How about we give them a chance first before we condem them.

I'm good with that. But the pessimists have seen this act too many times before. "Meet the new boss... Same as the old boss..."

Like I said, I want to hear the mission statement and plans for the future.

You guys are too funny... everyone wanted Henry out and got their wish, now the new guys are not good enough. Lol How about we give them a chance first before we condem them.

Agree, and Exactly Drog,, gotta give these guys a chance. No one really has any idea how this will go,, could be bad, could be great, this change needs time to work out.

peace bruthas,...

Nah! People like these guys don't respect you until you send them a bill or smack them in the metaphorical face. I bet that if I sent them a bill for $10,000 they'd probably have some secretary call me and listen to me yell at them until I started laughing and hung up.

The first thing the guy's going to do is point to his fake jeans with the fake holes from his faked life experiences and ask if they should maybe put a few fake scuffs on some of the guitars so fake guitar players could act like they've put a lot of their fake life into playing a guitar. Maybe they could start making fake fretwear on the guitars so hacks like me won't have to do their 10,000 hours before they could buy themselves a certificate of experience of lifeyness. The lifestyley way.

That reminds me that I need to dress up like a lifestyle brand CEO this Halloween. I have a leather jacket somewhere - or maybe one of the kids took it twenty years ago - I wouldn't know. I just need to buy some Levis with the fake lifestyley holes in them. Anybody got $85.00 for a pair of jeans?

1. Same guitars, more minor differences, "new" colors of sunburst.

2. New parts deals = cheaper parts for you.

3. Failure to maintain relationships with at least 3 case companies = more expensive cases for you.

4. Harley Davidson-like marketing. They've tried youth, millenials, lifestyle. Go back to their core, old guys like me.

5. RAISE PRICES. You watch, prices goin up. It's a strategy and they'll use it.

My free of charge, bitter, jaded predictions, none of which have to come true.

rct

I give you 2 cents anyways.

That reminds me that I need to dress up like a lifestyle brand CEO this Halloween. I have a leather jacket somewhere - or maybe one of the kids took it twenty years ago - I wouldn't know. I just need to buy some Levis with the fake lifestyley holes in them. Anybody got $85.00 for a pair of jeans?

ha! Great idea, but is it "Art"?

Archived