Gibson Brands Forums

New J200 Studio

Mr. Paul

Here is another recent Wildwood Guitars offering, J200 studio, showing a price of $3200 which means street price well under 3K. Just take a look at this walnut. Do I recall correctly that the new Studio line is not as deep as the standard line? I'd love to play this one except for the very real possibility that I'd want it ...

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/12718018/2019-sj-200-studio-2/?cat_id=32

... Do I recall correctly that the new Studio line is not as deep as the standard line?

That's apparenty the case with the J-45. Don't know about the SJ, and I couldn't find the lower bout width, not to mention depth. Sweetwater's specs say the scale length is 24.75" (with walnut even on the fretboard). (The SJ200 Vintage is 25.5") They have the burst at $3300 and the natural at $3100. They'll usually give you a discount if you ask.

That's apparenty the case with the J-45. Don't know about the SJ, and I couldn't find the lower bout width, not to mention depth. Sweetwater's specs say the scale length is 24.75" (with walnut even on the fretboard). (The SJ200 Vintage is 25.5") They have the burst at $3300 and the natural at $3100. They'll usually give you a discount if you ask.

They've shown SJ-200 Standards before as 24.75 before. I almost asked a stupid question here about a month or two ago because if it.

Here is another recent Wildwood Guitars offering, J200 studio, showing a price of $3200 which means street price well under 3K. Just take a look at this walnut. Do I recall correctly that the new Studio line is not as deep as the standard line? I'd love to play this one except for the very real possibility that I'd want it ...

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/12718018/2019-sj-200-studio-2/?cat_id=32

Correct the whole updated “studio” line has less depth.

JC

$3300 for a no thrills, walnut J-200 ? No way.

Id take Jannusguys best burst TV for $4k any day of the week.

Actually, in this market one has to wonder why would anybody want to buy a new guitar at such inflated prices.

I wouldn’t mind paying that price for this guitar.But everyone if different.

I’m trying to justify getting a Dove which these days runs for 5K

JC

$3300 for a no thrills, walnut J-200 ? No way.

Id take Jannusguys best burst TV for $4k any day of the week.

Actually, in this market one has to wonder why would anybody want to buy a new guitar at such inflated prices.

Gibson comes out with a budget J200 selling at a third less than a J200 standard ... it seems like an odd context to be *****ing about new guitar prices. As for "no thrills" ... well you're assuming a lot.

Jannusguy's TV looks like a mighty fine guitar, it's $4K. The new guitar we're talking about has a street price of $2800.

When I sold my 1958 Tele the first guitar I bought with the loot was a 1960 Gibson J-200. Paid $3250 for it. But that was a very long time ago. We still have the guitar so it has passed the test of time although my wife now claims it as her own.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to post a photo.

Gibson-J-200-1.jpg

Not many left handed Doves out there.

I would love an original 60’s Dove but would need a double pickguard for it to be a candidate.

I’m still thinking about placing an order for a Bozeman Dove though

JC

You should probably get that order in before the new management shuts down Bozeman.

I just watched most of a video about "how to buy an acoustic guitar." It was kind of for beginners I guess, but it went through the considerations. Interestingly, one of the first things mentioned was that if you're left handed, you should play "normally" like the right handers, because you get to fret with your left hand. Apparently too late for you, JC, but I thought that was interesting and made some sense. I guess something to tell a left-handed beginner before they begin. Sorry for the veer!

I would love an original 60’s Dove but would need a double pickguard for it to be a candidate.

I’m still thinking about placing an order for a Bozeman Dove though

JC

Ah yes, forgot you were a lefty, that indeed changes the ballgame.

Ah yes, forgot you were a lefty, that indeed changes the ballgame.

Excuse my ignorance but in the past I have owned one guitar that had been converted for lefties so I needed to convert it back. It pretty much amounted to putting a new saddle insert in the bridge and then swapping out the nut and, removing (or not) the added pickguard. This was an older guitar built when those leaving the factory set up for left handed players were rare as hen's teeth. But the conversion was not that big of a deal either. While I get that guitars factory set up for left handed players are far easier to come by today and see why you would be reluctant to do a conversion on a new guitar as it would, I assume, void the warranty, when talking used it would still seem to be a good alternative. The only structural difference I can see between a factory built and converted guitar would be the tone bars would be running in a different direction.

Amen! While I will never get a natural top J-45 it is their company and they can call their guitars whatever they want. So we Old School guys are just going to have to suck it up.

Fiddler-on-the-Roof-copy.jpg

Im gassing for a J-45 too (but a burst)..i know that for 2019 they came out with a J45 studio which is selling for $1499, but it has walnut instead of mahogany, and i really prefer mahogany..someone in my city is selling a 2017 J45 for around $2300 but im still not decided on pulling the trigger, a part of me wishes i could get a vintage acoustic in the near future, but i dont know if the economy will let memsp_unsure.gif

Yep. I got a flawless Dove on reverb for $1700. Beautiful guitar! I can no longer offord new guitars! I have 5 Gibson’s, & I bought them all used.

I have reached the point where I could drop $5K on a guitar and not bat an eye. Took a long time to get there and I always figured when I got to that point it would be Guitar A Go-Go around here. Never happened. My wife says I have lost interest simply because it would now be too easy. But I have been keeping it at no more than $1K per guitar including repairs (not counting trades as the money has already been spent). Does keep it interesting. The last two were both Harmonys. But I was a darn near as thrilled with them as I was with finding my 1942 J-50. So I figure I will be OK.

. . . While I will never get a natural top J-45 . . .

It would be a fitting complement to your sunburst J-50. :mellow:

Yep. I got a flawless Dove on reverb for $1700. Beautiful guitar! I can no longer offord new guitars! I have 5 Gibson’s, & I bought them all used.

An excellent find- congrats (so, how 'bout a pic?)

Archived