Gibson Brands Forums

Quick clip using the Boss VE8 for the first time

sbpark

Got the Boss VE8 last night after going back and forth deciding between it and the TC Play Acoustic.

I'm no singer, and apologize for the flubs in playing, but wanted to post a clip of a Band o fHorses song I butchered. Using an LR Baggs M! (the older, non-active version) through a Radial PZ Pre (VE8 couldn't pickup the M1 without a preamp) and going USB out of the VE8 into Garage Band. All effects are from the VE8.

Had a chance to listen and that sounds great! well done!

I better lift my act.

You were streets ahead of me by using the M1 and a preamp to begin with - I started with the advertised undersaddle improvement with the resonance button and lots of echo and stuff. Put me back a while....

Now I don't use anything on the guitar side except the volume knob - I use a row of gadgets sometimes plugged direct to the VE8, and also I am very pleased with how it makes my Shure SM58 sound...hadn't used it in years. I have tried a link from my Tonedexterised guitar and it is great but lately I am pleased with the Sunrise pickup in a Waterloo, Sunrise pre, Fishman EQ > Boss VE8. Not exactly plug and play at the blues jam, is it? Would have to go ....gulp...mono to hurry up the soundguy at the open mic. [scared] I mean, not there at the mo, but I think I have about 6 or 7 various leads out the back of the gadget. Pare back, take to blues jam and watch the shock on their faces when Keef sings backup for me....but then they will all want to use it...then break it (don't know how muso or road tuff it would be?)

BluesKing777.

Got the Boss VE8 last night after going back and forth deciding between it and the TC Play Acoustic.

I'm no singer, and apologize for the flubs in playing, but wanted to post a clip of a Band o fHorses song I butchered. Using an LR Baggs M! (the older, non-active version) through a Radial PZ Pre (VE8 couldn't pickup the M1 without a preamp) and going USB out of the VE8 into Garage Band. All effects are from the VE8.

Well that sounded great. If you can get that kind of vocal and guitar tone i would stay with the VE-8. I could not get that kind of quality on the vocal front in a live setting, which is why i went back to the PA.

Great tone and a lovely performance!

Whole lotta hiss/60 cycle hum there though, were you sitting in front of a TFT monitor? I know I can’t record with my single coil Rare Earths anywhere near dimmer switches or monitors, hum hell!

I don’t know the song.

But whatever you are using to record is great.

With grunt on this. Fantastic.

Sal sal Sal

I amazed you don’t know this song.

Was everywhere for a while

Fantastic album it’s from too

Band of horses , there’s your journey home music sorted today and tomorrow

Some fun with the VE8.........

What do we save? All kinds of things to help u get a set together for live work, solos, chords, vocals and harmonies.

Start with effects......leave space 1 for other stuff....maybe start at 10.....so, save 10 with everything off the guitar effects..no reverb or chorus ....add reverb u like and save to 11.....keep reverb but change the type to hall or big room stuff and save to 12.......add a bit of delay u like and save to 13......add reverb AND delay and save to 14.

U can now move up and down the saved ones by pressing the buttons with your feet. So perhaps u do the first chorus of a song with #13 and sing along, then in the solo use #14.

Vocal.....

Get the settings u like, save to #20 perhaps, add big reverb to #21, nice delay to #22, high (vocal) harmony to #23, some radio voice perhaps to #24......(use the radio voice for something along the lines of Lennon’s Watching Wheels with the Announcer voice.)

For starters, try clicking a different one for each verse of a song.

Fun in the sun! But keep a few notes on a piece of paper with detail of what u saved.....6 months time....hmmm, no idea what we did!

BluesKing777.

Dude that's a great cover of a great Band of Horses track!

Well done!

Is it in standard tuning?

[thumbup]

My D35 is tuned down a 1/2 step. I can barely sing that high even with the guitar tuned down. I think the original is in Standard tuning with the capo on the first fret.

You guys are too kind. I listened to it again and cringed! Just got excited about posting an example of the first time using the VE8 and got a little ahead of myself, and went with a song that is a bit harder for me to sing. Should have went with something Im more familiar with! I promise my playing is better than that, but my singing needs a lot of work!

And yes, the buzz is annoying as heck. Have a dimmer in the room that was off, but was also in from of a pretty big monitor.

Archived