Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Nighthawk II Prototype and guitar model guestion

Guitar God

Has anyone seen this, yet> Just seen this on Facebook and think it's super cool. This model also leads me to a question about a particular model of an Epiphone an old neighbor had similar to this. I guess they made a Gibson version, too? Anyway,

I remember I had an old neighbor back around '03 - '04 when I was 11 or 12 who played guitar and had an Epiphone model similar to this guitar. I don't even know what model it was and have been trying to figure out what it was this whole time. All I know it was similar to this model and had the 6 in line headstock, too. It was red and I believe it had mini toggles, too. Never seen another one like it. Dude was a cool neighbor. He actually taught me the intro riff to Crazy Train and Voodoo Child when I was that age, haha. He had a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Classis he had repainted purple, an Epiphone acoustic, a home made Stratocaster type guitar, and this weird, cool Epiphone model. This guitar reminded me of the Epiphone he had that I've been trying to find out the model of all these years. If anyone knows or remembers what I'm talking about, let me know! Been hunting one for so long.

BBjnoHO.jpg

You know I like it! msp_thumbup.gif Too bad they didn't decide to put a headstock like that on the Modern Double Cut Standard, because they'd sell a few more possibly, haha! The LP headstock on the Modern DCS doesn't look right... to me at least. Anyhow, that's what this guitar reminded me of a little bit. Nice post!

Overall, I like the look but it's a little too PRS for me. When I have two pickups, I like at least two volume controls for them and would like two tone controls as well, although not entirely necessary. That's one of the things I didn't like about some of the PRS guitars I played. I use my pickup selector and volume controls a lot, sometimes multiple times in a song. The pickup selector switch is in the same spot as a PRS, which is very out of the way for me. A guitar like that wouldn't work real well for me. I do like the finish better than a PRS though.

Look up the Gibson US1

Epiphone has made Strat shaped guitars too.

Just did and it looks a lot like the Epiphone an old neighbor of mine had. Was the Epiphone version called the same thing? Trying to remember if it had that type of headstock or an Explorer type headstock. That's the only guitar he was picky about. He let me play his Gibson Les Paul, Epiphone acoustic, and his home made Strat a lot, but he was picky about letting people play that Epiphone, so I didn't get to see it too much. I can see why, though, because I've never seen another one.

Has anyone seen this, yet> Just seen this on Facebook and think it's super cool. This model also leads me to a question about a particular model of an Epiphone an old neighbor had similar to this. I guess they made a Gibson version, too? Anyway,

I remember I had an old neighbor back around '03 - '04 when I was 11 or 12 who played guitar and had an Epiphone model similar to this guitar. I don't even know what model it was and have been trying to figure out what it was this whole time. All I know it was similar to this model and had the 6 in line headstock, too. It was red and I believe it had mini toggles, too. Never seen another one like it. Dude was a cool neighbor. He actually taught me the intro riff to Crazy Train and Voodoo Child when I was that age, haha. He had a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Classis he had repainted purple, an Epiphone acoustic, a home made Stratocaster type guitar, and this weird, cool Epiphone model. This guitar reminded me of the Epiphone he had that I've been trying to find out the model of all these years. If anyone knows or remembers what I'm talking about, let me know! Been hunting one for so long.

BBjnoHO.jpg

This was one of several samples made at Gibson USA earlier this year, there were a few different configs (different inlay, pickups, fingerboard material, finish...), no plans to be be put into regular production at the moment.

This guitars sharpness are like the nighthawks talons! The name fits it more for the characteristics it has IMHO. Looks more like a hawk than the produced model. The produced model from the 90s looks more like a mini-LP than any kind of bird, haha! How it got the name Nighthawk is beyond me...

Is this it? Epiphone ET270

qs5mdy.jpg

No. It looked like a Gibson US-1 model. This new Gibson Nighthawk 2 pic I started this threat/topic with reminded me of that guitar. From my memory, it had a vibe of a Gibson US-1 and this Nighthawk 2 prototype pic I posted. Been trying to find out what it was since. I have never seen another. Was there even an Epiphone version of a US-1? I would for sure know the guitar if I seen a pic of the Epiphone model I'm talking about.

This was one of several samples made at Gibson USA earlier this year, there were a few different configs (different inlay, pickups, fingerboard material, finish...), no plans to be be put into regular production at the moment.

Well, dang, haha. I really dig this!

This was one of several samples made at Gibson USA earlier this year.........no plans to be be put into regular production at the moment....

FWIW so far everyone here has been positive about the prototype model shown - which is more than can be said for many new offerings we've seen in recent years.

Wishing Gibson all the best for this one (assuming the stars align themselves in an orderly fashion).

P.

Just did and it looks a lot like the Epiphone an old neighbor of mine had. Was the Epiphone version called the same thing? Trying to remember if it had that type of headstock or an Explorer type headstock. That's the only guitar he was picky about. He let me play his Gibson Les Paul, Epiphone acoustic, and his home made Strat a lot, but he was picky about letting people play that Epiphone, so I didn't get to see it too much. I can see why, though, because I've never seen another one.

Maybe the X-1000?

SKM_C454e18102821190_0001.jpg

2 listings on eBay for this guitar. The heritage cherry burst finish as featured in the first post of this thread and an ebony-like finish as well... Going for over $2k USD and need to be ordered from Japan obviously.

Those actually look like a cool deal if that’s your thing. The shipping is free. I’ve never ordered something as large as a guitar from Japan but my experience with smaller items has been that Japanese post is extremely fast and efficient.

Those actually look like a cool deal if that's your thing. The shipping is free. I've never ordered something as large as a guitar from Japan but my experience with smaller items has been that Japanese post is extremely fast and efficient.

Good to hear about Japan shipping... Just a shame that I don't have the funds to appropriate for one of these at the moment msp_cursing.gif. And another thing is that if I get another guitar, I really need to get rid of some other guitar I have now - and that's not too easy since I appreciate all that I have. Not that I have a ton of guitars, just that I don't like to have guitars that I play once every few months, haha! I have a little collection of the Nighthawks from the 90s (SP, ST and CST), but all my other guitars I play regularly - no guitar goes a month at the longest without being played. I have this rotation I go through to insure that each one is doing OK with weather changes and such (neck relief mostly a concern). But damn!!! I would really like to see what this is like in my hands though. If it was really nice, I'd consider getting rid of one of my guitars for the NH v.2. What I think would be even better is to make these part of the regular line-up... I think there would be some buyers for sure.

Archived