Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 Bridge Pins

James1234

I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere on this forum but I suppose I'll revive it! Correct me if I'm wrong but the bridge pins that come with the J-15 are plastic so I've heard? If that is the case, does anyone agree that switching to something like bone improves tone? (Not that it really needs improvement. The guitar kicks butt). Just curious to hear other's opinions on this.

Yes plastic. You should be able to see a line running the length from the mold.

Some can hear an improvement in tone from bone, some can't. More folks hear a more noticeable change if they use brass pins. But it's subjective as to whether it's an 'improvement'.

I changed to bone on mine - because of a aversion to cheap looking pins.

I put brass ones with pretty pearloid buttons on my J-45 at my first string change 19 years ago, I doubt it did more than lighten my wallet.

2 years ago I put the original J-45 pins on my Fender Sonoran, I doubt it did much good there either, but it gave me something to do. Not sure if those were bone or plastic.

Now I have a set of black plastic Fender pins with a while dot on em I need to buy a guitar for.

It’s a viscous cycle we can never escape.

Edited by AngelDeVille

An all solid wood Gibson acoustic guitar with plastic pins?

Shame...

Go find some bone ones.

By the way what is the material of the nut&saddle of this J15?

Pretty sure they are Tusq, pins, saddle and nut.

Older models had glossy plastic pins, now they look different. As discussed previously Gibson's acoustics are well priced guitars and they prefer to invest in solid wood than bone pins, then the owner can decide to upgrade or not.

• 2 years later...

I found a huge difference in getting hearing aids , really. I can now hear midranges , which I could not before. It's like I'm seventeen again , even enjoying old records again. But I can now tell a big difference in bridge pins, Rosewood makes my guitar do better Rolling Stones sound, bone more cleaner sound and other woods more Beatles ,pop song sound.  Just my opinion. All things are amazing now with my new hearing aids. Without them I can only hear very high and very low. Now I can hear midranges. Get a hearing test. Best thing I ever did at 55 year young. Mind of a 14 year old though. 

• 2 months later...

I definitely feel that bridge pin material affects the guitar sonically. I found this out by accident, being quite dimwitted. Years ago I swapped out some bone pins with rosewood during a string change only because I thought it looked better. Then completely forgot about it.  After 2-3 days of the strings settling in, I noticed a definite mellowness to my guitar that was not there before. No change in string type, same ones as before.  For days I couldn't understand why my guitar sounded different, and the tone change was driving me crazy. I felt like I lost a friend. Finally, finally I noticed the rosewood bridge pins and remembered that I put them in with my last string change. I unwound the strings, changed the pins back to bone, and my friend was back! The mellowness was gone and the tone I have loved for years was there again. I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

I definitely feel that bridge pin material affects the guitar sonically. I found this out by accident, being quite dimwitted. Years ago I swapped out some bone pins with rosewood during a string change only because I thought it looked better. Then completely forgot about it.  After 2-3 days of the strings settling in, I noticed a definite mellowness to my guitar that was not there before. No change in string type, same ones as before.  For days I couldn't understand why my guitar sounded different, and the tone change was driving me crazy. I felt like I lost a friend. Finally, finally I noticed the rosewood bridge pins and remembered that I put them in with my last string change. I unwound the strings, changed the pins back to bone, and my friend was back! The mellowness was gone and the tone I have loved for years was there again. I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me.

Exactly!  And without question! Pins affect tone on most acoustic guitars. And this important to remember..." if your hearing does not happen to be compromised, you will hear the difference in those pins." ...Ebony and Rosewood pins will often soften and mellow out a guitar that is too bright or snappy. Bone pins and Tusq pins will brighten up a dark and mellow guitar that may sound too mumbly.  But you may not hear this change of tone if your hearing is compromised, even in a small way. Other bridge pins will affect tone accordingly, depending upon the pin material, and the guitar itself.

Edited by ALD323