Gibson Brands Forums

67 J 45 w/ 68 or 69 features

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

I guess more and more guitars from the later 60’s are trying to be represented as 66 or 67’s :

It’s either that or people are just trying to cheat their potential buyers

If the guitar above was actually a 67 how the hell could it have 68 or 69 features? 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

JC

These is serial number overlap in that time period. This happens a lot.

Yep. When you see a vintage Gibson where the FON or serial number is contradicted by the features of the guitar, you more often than not need to go with the features when it comes to determining year.

There are exceptions and serial number overlaps as Tom points out, of course. I would pretty much bet the farm that there were no square dread J-45's in 1967, however. (Now watch someone prove me wrong.)

It’s funny how there is almost 0 literature or detailed information about the 2 style of Pantograph logos Gibson used in the later 60’s.

Me thinks if there was more info readily available on those logos it would be easier to date these guitars for dealers and individuals selling late 60’s guitars.

JC

That’s definitely not a ‘67. At the very earliest it’s a late ‘68 but most likely a ‘69. Although it gets a bit squirrelly at that point, there were most definitely no square 45s built in 1967. I own a ‘67 J45 and have played both ‘68 and early ‘69 slope J45s. The conventional wisdom is that the square 45s debuted in 1969, but I have seen and played a very late ‘68 square.

It was definitely a time of spec flux for Gibson, my ‘68 F25 for example has several of the specs of the later F25 (belly down bridge, no golpeador pickguards, natural finish headstock, non-countersunk MOP logo) but has the body and bracing of the original F25s!

The 45 in the video sounds pants to me, regardless of age. Nice top and bottom but dominated by that horrid rubbery midrange honk...not sure if it’s strings, player or guitar, but yeesh...not pleasant to my ears at all.

Archived