Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Tips: Dry Speaker

vagabond

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Tone-Tips-The-Good-Doctors-225/

So? What do people think? I hadn't heard this little tip before, and I'm thinking of trying it out, although I wonder if the same effect can be achieved just by throwing the silica bags into a combo's casing (specifically, I wonder if I can dry out my brand new Hot Rod Deluxe's speaker just by tossing some of these bags into the back of it) so I don't have to remove the speaker.

I would think you could achieve the same results with a combo; you might need a couple of extra silica packs though.

There is definitely something to what they're talking about; I hear a difference when there is more drastic changes in humidity in the air.

Interesting makes since. I recently moved from Denver CO were it's very dry to North Carolina. All my speakers cabs are in storage and I am worried about the high humidity here. In my curant situation I don't know how long I'll have to keep them there.

I wander if wrapping them in trash bags with some Damp Rid or something. Anyone have any thoughts or have had to do something like this ?

I might worry about the moisture content, as far as storage, but not for a speaker that's in use in a combo or cabinet.

What good would it do to dry it out, if you are just going to reintroduce it to the same conditions? You would be right back to the original moisture content within hours.

I guess you could build some type of sealed cabinet, and fill it with nitrogen. That way it would always be perfectly dry.

Archived