Gibson Brands Forums

bridge pins popping while restringing

stumps

OK... so I feel like a dope asking this, I've been playing guitars for 25 years, but until just a few years ago I always played well-used guitars.

With both my newer guitars I've noticed a problem... while restringing the guitar the bridge pin on the low E string and sometimes the A string will pop out. Aside from holding it in place with my right thumb while using the left hand to finish tightening the string, is there a "trick" to this problem? I get the feeling there is a very easy solution, I just haven't needed to ask all these years.

Thanks...

I find a claw hammer usually works. :-

No, no, but seriously, I have that problem too. My solution is to attach the string to the post but with very little tension, push down the pin with your right thumb (as you suggest) and gently wind on. Once there is a bit more tension in the string, the pin become "wedged" in..........................Oh God, now it's physics. Where's that Thermionik when you need him?

is there a "trick" to this problem?

All you need to do is make sure that the ball end of the string is snug up against the bridge plate before fully inserting the pin and starting to tighten the string. The only "trick" is pulling the string up to seat the ball at the right time -- after the pin is partially inserted and the tip of the pin has passed the ball, but before the pin is tight enough that string pulling could damage the bridge and the plate. Even better wear-and-tear-wise is to use the end of the pin to push the ball down and then, just as the ball clears the bridge plate, kinda wiggle the end of the pin loose and finish inserting it while holding the string in place. (One of the good reasons for bridge slotting is to make this easier -- no wiggle or holding needed.)

-- Bob R

Thanks allanj for putting up that link, I've always used hand winders and braced the guitar between my legs when winding new strings on. I just sent for one of those battery powered winders to make the jod a little easier.

rar has the solution that works for me. If the pin isn't up tight under the bridge and you start winding, the string tension pops it up with enough force to eject the pin from the hole. I take care of getting it pulled up tight, pushing in the pin and then start winding. Works every time!

All you need to do is make sure that the ball end of the string is snug up against the bridge plate before fully inserting the pin and starting to tighten the string. The only "trick" is pulling the string up to seat the ball at the right time -- after the pin is partially inserted and the tip of the pin has passed the ball' date=' but before the pin is tight enough that string pulling could damage the bridge and the plate. Even better wear-and-tear-wise is to use the end of the pin to push the ball down and then, just as the ball clears the bridge plate, kinda wiggle the end of the pin loose and finish inserting it while holding the string in place. (One of the good reasons for bridge slotting is to make this easier -- no wiggle or holding needed.)

-- Bob R[/quote']

Yep.....

Murph.

Good Day to You / from: spanishoaknc

I really thank you all for the tips and web links on restringing / I've been playing for years and just learned some easier ways to make life easier when restringing your guitar / I love this web site because of the members that care and share information about the Gibsons we all love.

Have a Blessed Day / spanishoaknc

th_PaulDeanGospelMusic.jpg

Archived