Gibson Brands Forums

looking for warm strings... UPDATE

stumps

OK, I'm now on a quest for strings. When I bought my Gibson, I loved the tone I was getting out of it. I emailed Gibson to find out what strings were put on it at the factory - Gibson masterbuilt lights. I put on a new set, and the guitar had a distinctly brighter sound. I didn't like it, I figured oh, they must have put 13s- mediums on at the factory, so I got some mediums and put on there... I get some of the warmth back, but my high strings have a muted sound now... so now I'm thinking that perhaps the strings from the factory were lights, but just well-seasoned, if that makes any sense.

I've always played Martin strings (well, sometimes D'addario and GHS) before this new purchase, but it's got me on a quest for exactly what I want...

and what I want are strings with a WARM tone (purrs and rumbles on the low strings) but that still ring on the higher strings. What I don't like about light strings is that "jangle" sound I get when I strum. I play probably 50% finger picking and 50% strumming, so it's got to sound good both ways. one of the reasons I loved this guitar is that it gives me great tone and volume either way I play.

Are there light strings out there with a warmth to them, that don't sound so stinkin' bright? can someone find me EXACTLY what I want? =P~

THanks...

Are there light strings out there with a warmth to them' date=' that don't sound so stinkin' bright? can someone find me EXACTLY what I want? [/quote']

Maybe not, but we can make helpful suggestions! My helpful suggestion is to try John Pearce phos bronze. If those are not "warm" enough, you might want to give nickel wounds a shot. If the JPs are a little too "warm", you might want to give Gibson J-200s a try.

-- Bob R

I bought an L-5CTN about a decade ago, and it had the absolute best sounding strings on it from Gibson. I tried to find out what they were, even sending a small piece of the low E, but to no avail. They were somewhere in between a flat and round wound. Gibson must have a secret stash of stings.

You might try some Phosphor Bronze strings. They tend to be a bit less bright than 80/20. Not sure if everyone would describe them as warmer sounding but that might be how your ear hears them.

I am also playing with trying some different stings ........and have found it amazing that different strings can make such a difference in the sound of the same guitar.

Good Luck in your quest for tone !!

I alsio prefer the warmer sound to the brighter sound and I use Martin SP's. I prefer them to any thing else that I've tried. However I haven't tried the John Pearce PB strings. I've tried various Gibson strings and Ernie Balls.

You might want to play your guitar for four or five days with the Gibson Materbuilt lights on it before deciding if you like the sound or not. Some strings just take longer to "play in" than others. One of the techs I talk to told me that D'Addario EJ-16's take 5 days to get where you want them. I think they are a lot like Gibson Masterbuilts. That's all I got!

Maybe not' date=' but we can make helpful suggestions! My helpful suggestion is to try John Pearce phos bronze. If those are not "warm" enough, you might want to give nickel wounds a shot. If the JPs are a little too "warm", you might want to give Gibson J-200s a try.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Bob,

I always thought the J200s and the Masterbuilts were the same, except that the J200s have the silk winding at the ball end. Are there other differences you know of?

Red 333

I always thought the J200s and the Masterbuilts were the same' date=' except that the J200s have the silk winding at the ball end. Are there other differences you know of?[/quote']

Red,

AFAIK they are the same except for the silk wrap. But they sure don't sound the same!

-- Bob R

J200's or Martin for me. Gives a better thump' date=' Chugga chugga, and makes a chord sound closer to a single distinct note.[/quote']

+1 on what Todd says. I was really surprised how much warmer the J200s were when I first used them. I use 12s. You should definitely try these and the Martin SPs.

thanks for the responses folks!

I'm heading out today to buy a pack of the John Pearse, I'll give them a try first, then the Martin SPs after that... this might actually be fun.

Hey AlbertJohn, I have a question for you... why are those two pastry chefs high fiving each other? is it like some kind of outdoor cake competition? I like the hairnet on the one guy. he seems really excited.

The pastry chef on the right has a container of fondant and is exclaiming, "At last, we've found something that can be used as inedible frosting AND tile grout!" and the other adds "Yes, and it's also good for emergency plumbing repairs! Huzzah to us! Let us clap our palms together in midair!"

I don't generally use them as I like a bit of zing, but I find Elixir Phosphor Bronze Polyweb 12-54s are a very warm sounding string. It seems to be a collusion of the warm characteristics of PB and the slight damping effect of the Polyweb coating. I used to have a very nice Takamine Nashville Series Bearclaw Sitka/EI Rosewood mini jumbo which was sweet for fingerstyle but exhibited too much 'snap' for its own good when flatpicked or strummed. Those Elixir PB Polys sorted it out completely, though, and made it a lovely sounding and supremely playable guitar.

In the end I traded it for an insanely good '97 'Early' J45, which I parted with when I fell on hard times a couple of years back...it actually went to the nephew of Sitric, a forum member, so I know it's in good hands!

thanks for the responses folks!

I'm heading out today to buy a pack of the John Pearse' date=' I'll give them a try first, then the Martin SPs after that... this might actually be fun.

Hey AlbertJohn, I have a question for you... why are those two pastry chefs high fiving each other? is it like some kind of outdoor cake competition? I like the hairnet on the one guy. he seems really excited.

[/quote']

Oh dear oh dear!

Look here my American cousins. Just because you didn't want to be part of the British Empire a while back, there's no need start on Monty Panesar (left arm orthodox spin bowler for England and Northamptonshire.) Had you remained part of The British Empire you'd understand cricket and be better off for it. Canada have a national side which competes in the World Cup, so you've got no excuse.

Poor old Monty is not in the side at the moment but he has the best wicket celebration in cricket so he remains my avatar for the time being at least.

Try Newtone Masterclass PBs. Very warm and old timey sounding. Last me about a month.

There is a great video on YouTube of Stephen Fearing playing Newtones at a gig and they break like glass wires all through the show.

I am not suggesting this is common, he might have had a set up issue, but the Newtones are hand made and somewhat expensive, yes?

there's no need start on Monty Panesar (left arm orthodox spin bowler for England and Northamptonshire.)

OK, first, I have NO idea what you just said. I thought they played cricket in india.

Hey, I'm just havin' some fun. Now listen, albertjohn, my dear wife is coming home in a few weeks to spend some time with her mum and dad and brother, so be nice to her, she misses her home terribly. :-)

For those of you who recommended John Pearse strings - THANK YOU!!!

I changed them tonight - put on the 600Ls - phoshor bronze lights - wow! this guitar now sounds EXACTLY like when I bought it, wonderful. They are a tinge (and I mean a tinge) brighter than I'd like, but they're brand new strings, and I'm so overjoyed with the tones I'm getting that I'm sure whatever brightness is there will mellow out. I now know I can buy these strings by the gross. I couldn't stop playing tonight, my wife had to ask me to put it up because she wanted to watch TV.... oh, and she also said that she doesn't care much for David Bowie songs, this after an entire week of me working out Ziggy Stardust and Queen *****. Oh well, they're so fun to play she'll have to deal.

Anyway, THANKS again for the John Pearse recommendation!

OK' date=' first, I have NO idea what you just said.

[/quote']

Just as it should be![-o<

You're right. Indians are volcanically fanatical about cricket. If you want some real sporting atmosphere, watch a game between India and Pakistan! Monty's parents are Indian Sikhs and he is wearing a patka which I don't think has anything to do with making pastry, but I could be wrong. He is a hero in parts of India and when he has played there, for England, he gets a fantastic welcome from the home crowd, on and off the field.

So your wife is British? I hope she has a good trip over here. We've had a relatively cold and wet winter but spring is nearly upon us so it is going to get cold and wet. Make sure Mrs Stumps packs her brolly! Does she like cricket?

So your wife is British? I hope she has a good trip over here. We've had a relatively cold and wet winter but spring is nearly upon us so it is going to get cold and wet. Make sure Mrs Stumps packs her brolly! Does she like cricket?

she doesn't follow cricket - she likes "football", and I've got her watching American football as well. I'm not a pro fan but I love the university of tennessee's team. her passion is anything WWII, any kind of plate, cup or saucer with the queen, queen mum, or some other such person on it, anything that could be labeled "commemorative", and robert taylor prints.

oh, and tea. ;-)

Personally, I've got right off football despite my team, Tottenham Hotspur, being in the League cup final this weekend. All a bunch of overpaid primadonnas IMHO. And the England side are a joke - far more concerned about their obscene wages than playing for their country - with some exceptions.

I got Sky recently and was able to watch the Superbowl playoff games and some others. I love American Football and can't wait for the new season.

Plenty of cricket to watch before then!

Archived