Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Emmanuel on a Gibson

Seventies-Fan

Hello to all, I was looking through some videos of Tommy Emmanuel and had not seen this one before, it's so nice! I am uncertain which model he's playing, but it appears to be a J45 ? He plays so well and it really is an excellent way to hear this guitar put through it's paces a bit. I enjoyed it immensely :)

This is some of the 'best' I have heard from Emmanuel. Maybe it's because his virtuosity doesn't stand in the way for the music.

Rather groovy to see him relax - almost as if the loose and well-warm sounding Gibson takes him somewhere else.

Maybe to a summer-shack on a meadow where everything works via a different code.

And the tune under his fingers is fine too ^

Not sure of the guitar. But, I love that Tommy is always willing to lend a hand, or two, to a struggling guitar player:

JT%20&%20TE.jpg

:)

You hang out with all those greaties - I'd prefer and lOVE to play a song with mister Sebastian. Next round tell him I sing him all the time. msp_thumbup.gif

Not sure of the guitar. But, I love that Tommy is always willing to lend a hand, or two, to a struggling guitar player:

JT%20&%20TE.jpg

:)

Check this video of Tommy and his brother Phil (RIP):

And can't forget Tommy on the Telecaster:

Telecaster with Satriania:

etc..........

BluesKing777.

Check this video of Tommy and his brother Phil (RIP):

I was there, at the 1999 Chet Atkins Appreciation Society (CAAS) event in Nashville. That bit gave me the idea for the photo (taken at Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch). I asked Tommy to do a Tommy and Phil pose for me.

I have seen Tommy a few times.... last time a year ago with David Grisman.

Just magical.

But the best time was when I saw him in an empty (perhaps 50 people) Surflight Theater on Long Beach Island NJ a week before Hurricane Sandy hit. He had a bad cold and played for us like a trooper. Spoke with us intimately. I was grinning for a solid two hours. Nirvana it was...

That guitar looks modern by the way? SJ batwing? ... It isnt a Southern Jumbo True Vintage (no banner or fret parallelograms); I had one of those.

Great post...

Here is a video of TE talking about his Custom Maton(s):

I played one at a shop near me - $6499 bargain! [unsure] He goes through them weekly, I think.

It is exactly the sound needed for his fingerpicking - useless guitar if you want a big bassy flatpicker, which would cause TE to stumble with too many overtones....maybe.

BluesKing777.

I imagine TE has played every guitar imaginable.

Here's one of my favorites, especially part 2 when he starts having fun with the bar.

[media]

[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvPNhnO8wgU

Dave, that’s a wonderful bit of footage. TE on fire on the big jazzbox!

A good friend of mine played a number of shows with TE back in the late ‘80s. When he arrived at the first show to soundcheck, Tommy was backstage liberally spraying the fretboard and strings of his Strat (he was playing electric then) with WD40 as it helped him “to play as fast as possible”!

A good friend of mine played a number of shows with TE back in the late ‘80s. When he arrived at the first show to soundcheck, Tommy was backstage liberally spraying the fretboard and strings of his Strat (he was playing electric then) with WD40 as it helped him “to play as fast as possible”!

Thanks for sharing this great story!

Archived