Gibson Brands Forums

CJ-165ec model history?

bobouz

I just took delivery of a sunburst 2007 CJ-165ec in maple (maple neck, too). The darn thing has a lovely tone & is in near mint condition, so I'm feeling very fortunate to have come across this particular guitar - but there was one major surprise, at least to me (and it's a good thing!).

The electronics are a soundhole-mounted Fishman Aura system. I did not realize that some of these cutaway models were made with soundhole-mounted electronics. I had only seen versions of the CJ and J-165 with typical side-body-mount electronics. In doing a bit of quick & sloppy online research, all I've seen thus far are 2007 & 2008 versions with the soundhole Fishman Aura system. In 2009, it switched to the body-cutout mount.

Those three years comprise the only CJ-165ec models I've found to date. I know the regular CJ-165 was available earlier, but that's about it. Guess I wasn't paying much attention to this model at the time, so I don't recall it's history.

Does anyone have additional info on this model, and in particular, were '07 & '08 the only years with the soundhole mounted Fishman? Personally, I do prefer the hidden electronics!

B,

Here’s the original blurb for the CJ 165EC Maple:

Cj 165 EC Maple Modern Classic

Every Gibson Acoustic Guitar Features:

• Nitrocellulose lacquer finish for beauty and tone.

• Hand-fit, tapered dovetail joint to maximize sound vibration transfer from the

neck to body.

• Radius top to maximize sound projection

• Hand-scalloped top bracing for added strength and a light top

The CJ-165 EC is an unprecedented new guitar that affords players exceptional style, unheard of versatility, and studio-quality sound. A marvel of timeless craftsmanship and innovative technology, the CJ-165 EC rounds out Gibson’s iconic acoustic line with its sloping single-cutaway design and staggering sound technology.

These small bodied guitars are designed in the traditional shape of the iconic SJ 200, while boasting the addition of the Fishman Ellipse Aura sytems. Each of these guitars has been recorded on microphones selected to give you an amplified sound that truly represents the guitar's unique tone with microphone settings that offer a perfect range of color and blending options with the pickup.

Features:

- Schoeps CMC64G - Small diaphragm condenser

- Shure Beta58 - Dynamic Cardioid

- DPA 4011 - Small diaphragm condenser

- Soundelux E47 - Large diaphragm condenser

All Modern Classic guitar models feature:

• Grover Rotomatic Tuners

• Bone nut and Tusq saddle

• New "Big Sky" radiused fingerboard edge

• Industry's finest electronics

• Premium hardshell case

• Distinctive new labels

The Rosewood ec model had the same Fishman in it too.

JC

Many thanks for the info JC.

After doing a little more research this morning, it appears that the non-cutaway CJ-165 was released in 2006, while the cutaway CJ-165ec was released in 2007 (Modern Classic model as you noted above).

The cutaway with Aura soundhole-mounted electronics only lasted two years ('07 & '08), as I have confirmed that Gibson switched to a side-mounted Aura/w tuner in 2009.

Not sure exactly when it turned into the J-165 (rather than CJ), but all J-165ec examples I've seen have side-mounted electronics.

Regardless of all that, it is indeed a very nice guitar!

Archived