Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karloff

New Pickups

Firebird.jpg

Put some new pickups in my Firebird Sunday night. Seymour Duncan "Seymourized" SM-3N & 3B Firebird pickups. Alnico 5 magnets, hotter wound / output. This is actually the 2nd pair of pickups I've put in this guitar. I used the stock ceramics for a bit. I liked them ok but then tried a set of Vintage wound / spec'd pickups from the Creamery. they sounded good. nice clarity. but I wanted something a little hotter. these turned out to be just what I was looking for. I like 'em. If any of you guys out there playing a Firebird and you're looking for a hotter, ballsier pickup, give these a shot.

Firebird.jpg

Put some new pickups in my Firebird Sunday night. Seymour Duncan "Seymourized" SM-3N & 3B Firebird pickups. Alnico 5 magnets, hotter wound / output. This is actually the 2nd pair of pickups I've put in this guitar. I used the stock ceramics for a bit. I liked them ok but then tried a set of Vintage wound / spec'd pickups from the Creamery. they sounded good. nice clarity. but I wanted something a little hotter. these turned out to be just what I was looking for. I like 'em. If any of you guys out there playing a Firebird and you're looking for a hotter, ballsier pickup, give these a shot.

I like! I thought about using one of those for my Epiphone Nighthawk but I went with the Barden mini-hum which is also a good choice if you like crisp noiseless pickups. Either way your bird looks great and hope you enjoy!

I like! I thought about using one of those for my Epiphone Nighthawk but I went with the Barden mini-hum which is also a good choice if you like crisp noiseless pickups. Either way your bird looks great and hope you enjoy!

thanks Chris. and I looked into / considered standard Mini Humbuckers used in Deluxe's but opted for these. I've read about the Bardens. I hear their pretty good.

thanks Chris. and I looked into / considered standard Mini Humbuckers used in Deluxe's but opted for these. I've read about the Bardens. I hear their pretty good.

Hi Karloff,

The Bardens are interesting - sort of difficult to describe other than sensitive to all the sounds of the guitar, but noiseless at the same time. They aren't cheap either, but I worked out a deal for a couple Bardens (mini-hum and single coil for the middle pickup in a Strat/Tele) with a GC employee when I bought a guitar. Gave me both for the price of one! Nonetheless, I am more interested in seeing those SD pickups you put in your bird after seeing them installed. They look awesome and really interested to see how they'd sound in one of my hawks. If I am not mistaken, the neck pickup in the Nighthawk is pretty much the same in the Firebird??? Always had that impression for some reason... Anyhow I think you made a great choice with the SD pickups. SD makes some good stuff - including their JB slanted pickup that I CAN put into my Nighthawks real easy like. As a matter of fact, I have both SD slanted offerings - JB and the 59. I don't like the 59 as it is more "vintage" like and I like a hotter flavor of pickup in my Nighthawk.

Hi Karloff,

The Bardens are interesting - sort of difficult to describe other than sensitive to all the sounds of the guitar, but noiseless at the same time. They aren't cheap either, but I worked out a deal for a couple Bardens (mini-hum and single coil for the middle pickup in a Strat/Tele) with a GC employee when I bought a guitar. Gave me both for the price of one! Nonetheless, I am more interested in seeing those SD pickups you put in your bird after seeing them installed. They look awesome and really interested to see how they'd sound in one of my hawks. If I am not mistaken, the neck pickup in the Nighthawk is pretty much the same in the Firebird??? Always had that impression for some reason... Anyhow I think you made a great choice with the SD pickups. SD makes some good stuff - including their JB slanted pickup that I CAN put into my Nighthawks real easy like. As a matter of fact, I have both SD slanted offerings - JB and the 59. I don't like the 59 as it is more "vintage" like and I like a hotter flavor of pickup in my Nighthawk.

it's funny you mention the 59's. I had Pearly Gates in my SG. they were almost too thick for it. I switched to the 59's . I actually liked them better than the Pearly Gates. I agree. you just can't seem to go wrong with any of the Duncans.

If I am not mistaken, the neck pickup in the Nighthawk is pretty much the same in the Firebird???

They are different sizes, the Bill Lawrence-designed neck pickup (Gibson designates both this and the slanted humbucker as M-Series) of the Nighthawk being the smaller of the two. If you want to install a Firebird pickup, you'll have to plug/re-drill the pickup ring hole locations on your guitar top. The Firebird pickup itself is also too wide for the Nighthawk ring.

I learned all of this wanting to renew neck pickup rings and covers, as I tend to wear the gold plating off my guitars. I love the M-series pickups.

- Marc (owner of several Nighthawks and a '90 Firebird V)

They are different sizes, the Bill Lawrence-designed neck pickup (Gibson designates both this and the slanted humbucker as M-Series) of the Nighthawk being the smaller of the two. If you want to install a Firebird pickup, you'll have to plug/re-drill the pickup ring hole locations on your guitar top. The Firebird pickup itself is also too wide for the Nighthawk ring.

I learned all of this wanting to renew neck pickup rings and covers, as I tend to wear the gold plating off my guitars. I love the M-series pickups.

- Marc (owner of several Nighthawks and a '90 Firebird V)

Excellent, I was not aware of this. Thank you for sharing this information!