Gibson Brands Forums

Finish crack in a Flying V.

elessar820

I picked up my first Flying V, a GOTW Silverburst Flying V a few weeks ago and just noticed a finish crack along the side of the seam where the neck is set into the body. I know that many guitars are prone to cracks in the neck pocket, so I was wondering if this is common on the V. Thanks.

My BFG is my go to, got it at the tail of end of recording my bands last record so it only appeared on two tracks but I've used it heavily for live work; love it.

Come to think of it my V cracked between neck and headstock... shame too b/c I loved that guitar. I sold it after it cracked... would get another for sure when cash flow allows. Is yours holding up? Just a finish crack or wood?

I love my BFG. I was all set to pick up a black one, but the store had the limited models for the same price as the standards... and they were all $800. So I picked up a Silverburst. I've done a little work to it since I've had it. I wired it to a regular LP setup with 500k pots, added a pickup ring and pickguard, tried out a Dirty Fingers pickup then put the BB3 back. I wound up wiring it back to the stock set up and a few weeks ago, the BB3 failed on me, so now it has a Duncan Custom in it and it is awesome. I may drop in a Duncan Hot P90 eventually. Back to the Flying V, it definitely only looks the finish, I filled it in with some thinned black nail polish to hide it a bit. Unfortunately, it smeared a little bit and left it dulled out some. I'm going to hit it with some Virtuoso Polish later and see what I get. I can deal with some finish damage, it just sucks that it happened so soon.

All fixed... you can still see some of the crack and a small rub near it, but it's all shiny and it looks sealed. I used a little light polishing compound to smooth the smeared part out then cleaned it up with Virtuoso Cleaner then polished it up with Virtuoso Polish, that stuff is awesome. I'm going to finish polishing my Highway One Strat up with it next time I change the strings.

Thanks. I seem to always wind up with some finish cracks and flaws. I was just playing the V and I noticed that the lacquer is really thin on the edges and in 3 places you can see the mahogany and near the crack it looks speckled. Whatever, I just want to play this thing now, screw scratches, cracks and dents. I'm not perfect, so why should my guitar be?

Archived