Gibson Brands Forums

So what piece of gear are you going to get next?

bigtim

Thinking about a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III model. The IV model is just crap - I have my reasons for this claim, but that is neither here nor there. I like how these amps - before the IV - perform and are great workhorses for gigging smaller local venues and practicing with the group. I figure that I can find one used for a good price. Just not prepared to spend near or over a grand on a combo amp at the moment, and the Fender HRDs provide some good value IMHO with regard to cost. I see a lot of the III's listed in local ads, so maybe I pull the trigger on one sometime.

On the subject of guitar gear/amps I quite like the idea of getting one of the Marshall ORI5C amps.

https://marshall.com.../origin/origin5

There was one listed in a blow-out sale a couple of days ago but it had been snapped up by the time I clicked. Oh well.

Pip.

EDIT : If we are talking about the wider subject of ALL types of gear I've just bought a few old photographic bits'n'bob; four bodies and three lenses.

Amusingly (if one is infantile) two of the bodies were made by the Nicca Camera Works (in 1949 and 1952) so I can say I've just bought a used pair of Niccas...

The other bodies (FWIW) were a Leotax K3 and a 'Shark Skin' Leica IIIC. Here they all are mixed in with some of the rest of the herd;

Lo-res-v3-L1438762.jpg

On the subject of guitar gear/amps I quite like the idea of getting one of the Marshall ORI5C amps.

https://marshall.com.../origin/origin5

There was one listed in a blow-out sale a couple of days ago but it had been snapped up by the time I clicked. Oh well.

Pip.

EDIT : If we are talking about the wider subject of ALL types of gear I've just bought a few old photographic bits'n'bob; four bodies and three lenses.

Amusingly (if one is infantile) two of the bodies were made by the Nicca Camera Works (in 1949 and 1952) so I can say I've just bought a used pair of Niccas...

The other bodies (FWIW) were a Leotax K3 and a 'Shark Skin' Leica IIIC. Here they all are mixed in with some of the rest of the herd;

Very nice. Just out of interest - where do you buy film (I assume you buy a LOT), what do you use and how much does film cost these days?

Got one of these Keeley Darkside pedals. The fuzz is pretty cool but when you put a compressor in front of the fuzz it really shines. Sounds alot like the Eric Clapton tones from cream. The vibe and other effects are pretty good too.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DarkSidePed--keeley-dark-side-workstation-multi-effects-pedal

The Keeley Caverns V2

Very nice; I'd like one too.

I would love to add a Gibson ES Les Paul Goldtop with P90's & Bigsby to my Collection.. It would be a perfect compliment my other Gibsons...

Yes, please.

I don’t want to, but I have to...

D07-A40-E7-6-C21-491-E-81-FC-C6-D6-C401-CEF8.jpg

Me too although I do want to.

Marshall DSL1HR

Yeah, that'd be very nice.

Yamaha THR10

I've one of these as well; 'better amps' have come and gone, but the Yam10 is so convenient that it's a keeper.

Very nice. Just out of interest - where do you buy film (I assume you buy a LOT), what do you use and how much does film cost these days?

Oh, Good Heavens; I don't USE them......they might get scratched!!!......msp_scared.gif......

msp_laugh.gif

The most convenient black'n'white film these days is Ilford XP2 which, although black'n'white, uses the C-41 process (i.e. the same chemistry as regular colour film) so it can be developed in any High Street shop such as Snappy Snaps. If buying in bulk (10+) they work out at around £5.80 per 36-exposure roll. By sending the film off for processing to be developed, scanned to DVD and a have a set of 6"x4" prints made it costs around £10 for a 36 exposure film which is not too terrible. Turnaround time is just under a week.

Sadly at the moment I really don't get much time to shoot my own stuff and when I do have a day free for 'proper' personal snapping I use my Leica M9-P which is a far more sensible tool for the job. Having said that; four of the cameras pictured only arrived this past week and so I've not yet had a chance to put a roll through them but I've a hankering to do so soon - probably during the Xmas break.

Pip.

EDIT : In terms of how much film I'd shoot if I still did use film for my personal work; out of curiosity I've just had a quick check and my M9-P shutter count is currently 62,779 which works out to be the equivalent of a rather scary 1,744 36-exposure rolls - in less than three years.......msp_scared.gif........

Since I've gotten numerous guitars, I got these for my lovely wife. She has a few more appliances she's looking at. Over the range microwave, dishwasher, dryer are probably next. She got her fridge, Keurig, deep freeze, Ninja Coffee Bar, two beach vacations and lots of jewelry. :D

A new flute:

45458958_1874148999358875_4734167692456493056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=b99434432756cd47c622928b34b719bb&oe=5C3C72D5

And a new stove:

45610248_1874148926025549_5904879058977554432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=a9ca493ae4de6cc63274d59bc9cb1042&oe=5C6FA14E

Every time I see a flute I think of Jethero Tull! Seriously though I got to see the Nashville Symphony Orchestra a few weeks ago 3rd row center stage and although I really never ever pay any attention to that type of music, I really enjoyed it very much and the instruments were not amplified or anything like that but man it was really loud! I was surprised about that. Not like ear bleeding loud but way louder that I would have imagined.

I never imagined a stove would show up on this thread!! But it is a nice looking one!

Since I've gotten numerous guitars, I got these for my lovely wife. She has a few more appliances she's looking at. Over the range microwave, dishwasher, dryer are probably next. She got her fridge, Keurig, deep freeze, Ninja Coffee Bar, two beach vacations and lots of jewelry. :D

A new flute:

45458958_1874148999358875_4734167692456493056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=b99434432756cd47c622928b34b719bb&oe=5C3C72D5

And a new stove:

45610248_1874148926025549_5904879058977554432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=a9ca493ae4de6cc63274d59bc9cb1042&oe=5C6FA14E

• 2 months later...

Every time I see a flute I think of Jethero Tull! Seriously though I got to see the Nashville Symphony Orchestra a few weeks ago 3rd row center stage and although I really never ever pay any attention to that type of music, I really enjoyed it very much and the instruments were not amplified or anything like that but man it was really loud! I was surprised about that. Not like ear bleeding loud but way louder that I would have imagined.

I never imagined a stove would show up on this thread!! But it is a nice looking one!

She's playing flute on a couple of Marshall Tucker songs with us. Can't You See and Heard It In A Love Song. And, since buying her the flute and stove, I've built up enough equity to get myself a decent Strat, since I sold mine long ago. I get her major appliances and beach vacations and I get to buy guitars. She's even offered to pay for the Strat. So, that's the deal with the stove. :) She's looking at a dishwasher next.

The 5 piece garage band I play in just invested in the Zoom L-20 mixer/recorder. Arrived one week ago. We got it mainly because it has 6 monitor outs that can be headphone outs, too. 16 XLR inputs is plenty to mic everything, including drums. On board effects are nice. We wanted to make a demo to get a few bar gigs. The Bluetooth Ipad app has a 15 band EQ feature that helps in ringing out the room. And it is good for instant feedback so we may improve our chops.

Looking in the mirror is harsh.

Hey that's awesome!! That dishwasher is worth a new Marshall amp too right?

She's playing flute on a couple of Marshall Tucker songs with us. Can't You See and Heard It In A Love Song. And, since buying her the flute and stove, I've built up enough equity to get myself a decent Strat, since I sold mine long ago. I get her major appliances and beach vacations and I get to buy guitars. She's even offered to pay for the Strat. So, that's the deal with the stove. :) She's looking at a dishwasher next.

I decided against having a loop added to my Orange AD30 head. bought a Peavey Classic 20 Mini head & a used Peavey Valveking 2x12 combo to just leave at the practice room. also just last week brought home a 2008 Les Paul studio, ebony fretboard with 50's neck. Alpine white. nice guitar.

completely gutted the kitchen, repared floor joists, new subfloor, jacked, blocked & leveled. got rid of a few windows, added a laundry room, fresh ceiling, flooring ...

sold a couple guitars to finance it so my wife is real happy about the results. and the fact I sold a couple things and did all the work, she didnt seem to mind when I got the new stuff.

Hey that's awesome!! That dishwasher is worth a new Marshall amp too right?

I bought two Marshall amps last year. A DSL100HR head and 1960A 4x12 cabinet and a Marshall DSL40CR. I might have to get her the additional appliances and a beach vacation before looking at more gear. [biggrin]

Ah! A Leslie...I'd like one....very nice indeed if a bit big...now you need the control bits? Or are they all in/on the cab?

It's got everything, I think. It has a couple of switches and a junction box thing that go with the organ. I probably won't need that stuff.

It has a Dr. Fishsticks adaptor which is a box that plugs into 120V and works as a power supply for the Leslie and switching interface so you can plug a preamp signal into its amplifier. A footswitch plugs into it and controls the switching.

So, for guitar, I'll have to use a preamp, like the effects loop output from an amp or a DI box.

I would love to put my ashtray and drink on that Leslie, and feel my knees quake as the B3 swirls through it. There is nothing better.

rct

Anytime, man. I have a 8 year old bottle of shine, supposedly made by that guy Josh, right here, waiting for you. We're about 10 minutes from the I-81, I-26 interchange. [thumbup]

Archived