Gibson Brands Forums

Twins!

BluesKing777

In the photo earlier, the BK on the left is from 2013 and mine on the right is from 2007.

And yes, they both play blues...., well, that is why we both got them.

(I got a phone call one day, something like...'what is your Blues King like as I don't remember, you have so many guitars, but there is one for sale, can I try yours out again before I go try the other one, do you like them?')

Close up - 2013:

nw7eJcZl.jpg

Close up 2007:

Fr6zqxXl.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Dodged a bullet on this one. I was going to express my sympathy for Mrs. BluesKing.

Hmmm.....

The Better Halves drank too much while we were playing a note on this guitar, a note or 2 on that guitar and we were just organising a power board to try his AER amp with a few guitars when we were informed that they were getting hungry out on the verandah and when am I going to get the grill going? Etc. and that was the last I got to play anything..... Melbourne Cup horse racing day, a holiday, hot, cold, humid, just everything, then when the race was over the sun came out....picked a nag that came 12th and my friend’s pick may still be running.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I know you are into some historical stuff and this is a bit relevant. We generally don't have two of anything -- I guess we like one of everything, but not two of anything. But for reasons I won't go into, we have twins from 1937 -- Martins, but the same batch and only 10 SNs apart. They are 00-18Hs -- converted Hawaiians that would have shared the stage with Gibson HG-00 in 1937 - the Hawaiian version of the L-00.

So do they sound the same? No. Broadly similar (and wonderful), quite different in nuance. They is the nature of building wooden guitars -- individual guitars are essentially always different in nuance.

5HURnhp.jpg

Here is our 1939 HG-00

sPi2ttJ.jpg

Back to my hole.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I know you are into some historical stuff and this is a bit relevant. We generally don't have two of anything -- I guess we like one of everything, but not two of anything. But for reasons I won't go into, we have twins from 1937 -- Martins, but the same batch and only 10 SNs apart. They are 00-18Hs -- converted Hawaiians that would have shared the stage with Gibson HG-00 in 1937 - the Hawaiian version of the L-00.

So do they sound the same? No. Broadly similar (and wonderful), quite different in nuance. They is the nature of building wooden guitars -- individual guitars are essentially always different in nuance.

5HURnhp.jpg

Here is our 1939 HG-00

sPi2ttJ.jpg

Back to my hole.

Let's pick,

-Tom

What's this 'back to my hole' shite, Tom? Stay around! Intercept whenever you think! Take over. Keep posting.

As to the guitars you posted, all I can say is a mumbling 'boy, oh boy'....I love those shade tops a and the HG! (I hope they bring out something like those in the Authentic line - they have a 00-18 and a 00-17 in that shape.) That would be the closest I get to them.

And the two guitar photos I posted - the visitor one on the left is mahogany back and sides, sitka top and mine is bubinga back and sides, sitka top and sound a bit different. He wants mine and I want his. But mine is older but bought brand new and way more shinier as it lives in a case whereas he bought his used and leaves it on a guitar stand in his music room. I inspected his fairly closely when he first bought it because Gibson were going through their 'rough patch' with rosewood in 2013 and quietly dishing out lam necks and bridges etc. His woods are solid woods.

Oh, I notice from the photos that this is the last of my guitars with grain runout - before I found out what it was on the UMGF :rolleyes: )

Plugged in mine is awful with the Gibson supplied Baggs element of 2007 (I have a Sunrise and other pickups to put in it). His sounds ok with a Baggs Anthem SL (lite) version. His resides in Open G tuning and mine down 2 steps.

And...

The internet is absolutely FULL of disparaging comments about Gibson Blues King this and BK that, no good for this and no good for that. Well, they must have been comments from bluegrass pickers or something because the BK is the guitar if you want to play fingerpicking blues and roots music. My friend heard me play mine years back and then went on a mission!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

5HURnhp.jpg

Here is our 1939 HG-00

sPi2ttJ.jpg

Back to my hole.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom,

Wow !!!

Thanks for sharing ... We love your collection and seeing it is always a treat.

God Bless

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar