Gibson Brands Forums

ES-Les Paul through Fender Princeton '68 Custom

Djhblues

post-91116-099401900 1541557056_thumb.jpg

Just a note on my ES-Les Paul. Played live last week (miked with Seinhouser 809) and my ES-Les Paul sounded great. I usually play my strat through the house amp at church (Hot Rod Deluxe), which is fine, but overkill for this environment. I brought in my Fender 68 Custom Princeton and played my ES-Les Paul through the amp, and loved the tone I was getting. If you haven't tried this amp, check it out. Has the bassman tone stack in the custom channel. I also swapped the Celestion for Rajun Cajun, and am really digging this amp.

I can't understand why this guitar does not get the love- can't say enough on how much i love playing this guitar and the tone I get from the MHS pickups!

I play my Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul w/Bigsby through my Fender '65 PRRI & think it's a great sounding Combo!!!! I'm actually kinda glad every other Guitar player out there doesn't have one!!!! We get to look & sound different... I agree, the MHS Pups are excellent!!

I do like those Fender '68's too.. I'd like to get one....

I like the '65 as well. I love the blackface and tweed look, but to my ears, the tone stack in the 68 RI was warmer to my ears. Kind of biased here because I also have the 68 Deluxe Reverb RI, and the Princeton is a nice compliment to it. They both sound great though. Are you running the original speaker it the amp? I am curious if anyone has swapped out the speaker with the Celestion G10 Gold Alnico. Considered the holy grail out there for this speaker in a Princeton.

I like the '65 as well. I love the blackface and tweed look, but to my ears, the tone stack in the 68 RI was warmer to my ears. Kind of biased here because I also have the 68 Deluxe Reverb RI, and the Princeton is a nice compliment to it. They both sound great though. Are you running the original speaker it the amp? I am curious if anyone has swapped out the speaker with the Celestion G10 Gold Alnico. Considered the holy grail out there for this speaker in a Princeton.

I have a Vox AC15 with celestion Alnico Blue & a Vox AC10 which I upgraded with Tung Sol's & a Grrenback. I do have a Weber Dp-10 Blue Speaker ordered. Which is intended for the AC10....

So for now my PRRI, 65 DRRI & Twin are for handling the Cleans..... But, I'm serious about adding one of the Fender '68's to my collection

Funny- I have the AC15 with the Celestion Blue as well. The Blue was a definite game changer for that amp. It really made a difference. I like the amp, but prefer the Fender tone, and use my Full Drive 3 for overdrive. I also have a '72 Vibrolux Reverb w/blackface specs, with (2) vintage gold back Jensens in it. Great amp but too loud for what I do. Thinking of selling the Vox, but not sure. I recently tried the Morgan PR12 at the Sweetwater Gear Fest, and that is one sweet amp. Just can't justify the extra $1150 over what I paid for the Princeton.

Funny- I have the AC15 with the Celestion Blue as well. The Blue was a definite game changer for that amp. It really made a difference. I like the amp, but prefer the Fender tone, and use my Full Drive 3 for overdrive. I also have a '72 Vibrolux Reverb w/blackface specs, with (2) vintage gold back Jensens in it. Great amp but too loud for what I do. Thinking of selling the Vox, but not sure. I recently tried the Morgan PR12 at the Sweetwater Gear Fest, and that is one sweet amp. Just can't justify the extra $1150 over what I paid for the Princeton.

I don't take any of my big Amps out anymore. I take the Princeton 90% of the time. It's ideal for most everything & just about any Guitar I plug into it sounds great! I might try the Weber Blue with it too just out of curiousity...

I know there are some great Boutique Amps I'd like to try but I really like having Amps that aren't expensive, sound great, easy to travel with & easily replaceable if something happens when I'm traveling...

Archived