Gibson Brands Forums

The Case of the "Just In Case" Case......

BluesKing777

Here is a tortured looking little old Maton...before the current pickup system!

This is fabulous - Ian Moss (was/is lead guitarist with rock band but plays solo acoustic /vocal a lot these days. he plays like he plays lead guitar....)

BluesKing777.

I like the song, his voice, and his playing style. And the way duct-tapes the pickups in place. The guitar is still pretty quacky, however.

You're right, he plays like he's playing lead guitar, but it works. I can imagine that entire lead played on an ES 335, with an amplified acoustic rhythm backing.

They have made the 808 model Matons since the late 70s, they are hard to find because I think Moss may own them all!

I was reading on a Facebook? page that a guy was selling his old 808 and next thing Moss is on the doorstep!

Different guitar:

With a new(ish) 808 Artist model:

Another guitar on a performance giving a lesson on TV Idol thingy:

etc.....

Edit: this guy has all the other 808s! Full Smaltz!

I had to add a better recording of another of his guitars...:

BluesKing777.

The Les Paul case looks nice enough....not much good in a prang.

So here is a little photo essay........

I was going to a friend's house to play/try my new Maton in his loud PA, plugged direct to his mixer and then later with gadgets. He has a Maton as well....

Last time I did the trip, I took my 2 Waterloos in their Hiscox cases, light guitars in light cases! Did I mention his house and driveway are on the top of a hill? And backing down the car is awful, so often when guitar free, I leave the car in an easier spot and walk up the last part of the hill. Of course, walking up with the 2 guitars I looked like Jerry Lewis in that movie with the arms reaching his feet.

So, these 2 Matons:

3W2iVLzl.jpg

....live in these 2 ten ton Tessies, possibly made of rocks::

vEnIVNol.jpg

Hmm, why do roadies always have fat stomachs? I just lugged one Maton in the case and 2 Lowdens and a Martin D18 all in Hiscoxes from my music room to my front room to try the Maton in the various Hiscoxes. Not enough room to swing a cat in my music, probably too many guitars! Phew. Made myself hot.

Now, the Maton 808 size guitar is a deep body 00 size - the same depth as my Martin D18 dread. With a few rags and T-shirts stuffed in the dread Hiscox, it is not too bad for the Maton. The dread HIscox is the biggest and heaviest but still half the weight of the standard Maton case. Option one!

Option 2 is to use the Lowden Hiscox from my Lowden S35. Perfect fit but that means the precious Lowden would be in the Maton case while I am out!

2p2MHXvl.jpg

k43KJyLl.jpg

Option 3 is to use the (larger) Lowden LSE1 Hiscox case, a bit loose and a few T-shirts needed.

MjwYeMll.jpg

I might just play my friend's Maton. [unsure]

BluesKing777.

Right, I know some of you have been waiting in suspense, or is that suspenders?, for photos of my new Maton labelled Hiscox 808 cases!

So here we are...light as a feather or 2 and the old 'better check if a guitar is in there before driving off'......

I suppose the Brit flag hangtag means it is made in the UK, but...who knows these days....

FFGlVk9l.jpg

I put a sticker on the side of one case so I know which is which in a rack of Hiscoxes, or should that be Hiscoxii?

LuGUiVEl.jpg

Perfect fit:

8nftCATl.jpg

xgtrNO0l.jpg

Ready for a tour up the Coast.....

BluesKing777.

Archived