Gibson Brands Forums

The voice of a very rare Hummingbird

Holiday Hoser

it does have the 1 11/16 width neck they change in 1965 to a skinnier version. I'm thinking rosewood neck and L5 fingerboard and Norm Harris does have a cherry sunburst with that neck in his Rare Guitars book. He said it was one of the most rare but someone in the 60's had painted it periwinkle blue which I found inside.

As explained in an earlier post.

Holiday

post-96456-017646900 1541903583_thumb.jpg

I had a custom L00 made a few years ago and had that neck shape put on it.

95F527B8-4173-4FB8-B8B8-04F44377D643_zpsbyd4inrl.jpg

I have that exact same peghead (except with gold tulip buttons) on my 23.5" scale Midtown Kalamazoo (marketed as similar to a Byrdland). It's the larger Gibson peghead, like those found on J-200s.

Note that the Hummingbird in question has the smaller peghead, as on a generic Hummingbird. So rather than an L-5 neck being plopped onto the guitar, it seems to be an odd mix of features, perhaps special ordered.

INote that the Hummingbird in question has the smaller peghead, as on a generic Hummingbird. So rather than an L-5 neck being plopped onto the guitar, it seems to be an odd mix of features, perhaps special ordered.

I also could not figure out why the OP said it was an L-5 neck. If it is a Custom Shop job it could very well be a stock HB neck with ebony board with whatever inlays you wanted. I do believe these early CS guitars had TRCs that said "Custom." It cold also be, as you note, a slapped together guitar with either a different or a modified neck being put on somewhere down the road. If it be a CS guitar it is indeed a rare bird. If not, it is an interesting and unique player's guitar.

Sounds and looks good. It will become a dear friend and you already seem comfortable behind it.

Would change the p-guard. It's doesn't really ring the bell like the rest if the components.

Only my humble view - Enjoy

I have a weak spot for frankensteiners and own one myself. It's in my top 3.

Archived