Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 59 Serial Number Question

59er

that's assuming it's a historic R9. of course' date=' if it's not a historic, then it could also be a '68, a 70-72, or a few other options depending on features. [/quote']

I've wondered about this subject :

My LP is 0 5449.

Judging solely on the serial number, could that mean all of the following;

1) A real 1960, No. 5449 (it isn't, by the way)](*,)

2) A 1995 re-issue of the 1960, No. 449

3) A 2005 re-issue of the 1960, No. 449

???

My LP is 0 5449.

1) A real 1960' date=' No. 5449 (it isn't, by the way)=D>

???[/quote']

I have no idea what year your guitar was built......

but, when you sell it:

If '95 RI's have a higher value, advertise it as a '95

If '05 RI's have a higher value, advertise it as an '05!!!!!

I'm just kidding of course.

I have no idea what year your guitar was built......

but' date=' when you sell it:

If '95 RI's have a higher value, advertise it as a '95

If '05 RI's have a higher value, advertise it as an '05!!!!!.[/quote']

remind me to never buy anything from you.

I'm just kidding of course

My LP is 0 5449.

Judging solely on the serial number' date=' [i']could[/i] that mean all of the following;

1) A real 1960, No. 5449 (it isn't, by the way)](*,)

???

yours could also be a classic.

yours could also be a classic.

Well' date=' I know it's a 1995 re-issue of the '60, but my question was more [i']Could[/i] the same serial number be allocated to two or three instruments, as the numbering system would seem to allow for this to be possible?

I didn't think the Classic range went by the X XXXX system. Any Classic owners out there who have a X XXXX number and can clear this up?

(Edit : I've done my own homework now and, yes, most do have this system of numbering.)

I think I'm right in saying the Classics, by '95, had 'Les Paul Classic' on the peghead (not to mention the snot green inlays), so that would be a little bit of a giveaway! Also the 'Les Paul Model' of the earlier Classics, in common with all other LP's, is nearer the TRC than that found on the re-issues.

(Edit : I've checked this out too and, by 1995, they did have 'Classic' on the peghead silk-screen. When did the Classic stop saying 'Les Paul Model'?)

(Another Edit! I've just received a reply from someone on the Historic Division forum and, yes, it seems the numbers do repeat. The way to tell what you have seems to be the just to check out the details of any particular insrtument!)

yeah' date=' i was just pointing out the scheme... i can see yours isn't a classic :-&[/quote']

Well, funnily enough, If it weren't for a couple of relatively small things that would be difficult/costly to alter (not to mention a refin) in a way it almost could be an early Classic!

I find incredible that, with all the 'refer to the Gibson serial number checklist' stuff, it's possible for no fewer than four (after you pointed out the Classic to me) guitars to share the same serial number!

Thanks for your input, BTW.

Archived