Gibson Brands Forums

grovers are imports- silent conspiracy !

jvi

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grovers have been imported for years from my recollection. [thumbup]

From what I understood, Grovers come from the eastern countries since the seventies when the diameters increased from 0,375 (the patent pending grovers) to 0,390 (no more patent pending indication on the grovers)

I foolishly assumed they were still made in america, the screws got me thinking. I wish companies like this would bounce back to the USA, its time, Im not american but have/had faith in the products made there.

You're not being foolish, youo just didn't know. Big difference. Yes, Grovers and Klusons are both made in Korea now and have been for....what, close to 30 years now?

It's never cause for celebration when a company we associate with producing US products goes away, but at least they both are readily available and of high quality...and retro fit as needed.

As for myself, I like Schallers because they are smoother and I like their look, but that's just my two cents and not even worth that much. And they're hardly made in USA lol.

My Frankenbird had Ratios on it and after replacing the buttons with some Chinese plastic (vintage plastic I was assured)

I like them so much I don't know if I could be talked into replacing (re-replacing?) them now. Graphtech makes 'em so Canada I'm guessing??

From the website via Google

With Ratio®, every string has a gear ratio matched to its core diameter. Gear ratios range anywhere from 12:1 to 39:1. A plain “G” string, which is basically just a thick core, has a 35:1 gear ratio,

while a wound “G” (i.e.: acoustic guitar) has a 14:1 gear ratio.

I'm not sure what Canadian crusade OP is on, but Grover make some of the best-quality tuners in the world, and any of their tuners come with a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty. I wouldn't for the life of me swap out the locking Grovers of my Les Paul for any others.

Are Schallers still made in Germany or, for that matter, Gotohs in Japan? That probably hasn't been the case for some 30-odd years now...

Are Schallers still made in Germany

Yes, Schallers are still being made in Germany, per the set I recently ordered. They're stamped "Made in Germany" on the face of each tuner.

Schaller has upgraded their packaging from the last time I bought a set, which was a few years ago. Bet that darn box was made in China!

But seriously, I'm not too picky about where a tuner is made, so long as it works well. On the other hand, I prefer having guitars that were built in the US or Japan.

I'm not sure what Canadian crusade OP is on, but Grover make some of the best-quality tuners in the world, and any of their tuners come with a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty. I wouldn't for the life of me swap out the locking Grovers of my Les Paul for any others.

Are Schallers still made in Germany or, for that matter, Gotohs in Japan? That probably hasn't been the case for some 30-odd years now...

the crusade is for north american jobs and mfg and quality, you can just keep supporting imports untill thats all you have if you like them so much...

Someone trying to cause a stir on a forum.

That’s the saddest part

No one here is to blame , unless you want to get down to the nitty gritty of voting and work ethics

Which as we all know , isn’t a topic for a guitar forum

Maybe some politics forum or business economics is the place to bring it up

This is just a bunch of guys and girls who like music and Acoustic guitars

I actually thought others would agree that imports arnt great and the replies keep coming so I respond, its a forum for DIFFERENT viewpoints and you can like them or not

I personally think that this is a ridiculous subject and the fact that you want to present an opinion and try to shame others' opinions because American guitars are made with import parts that no one finds to be a "conspiracy"... Am I correct here in this? Even if someone doesn't like this fact, what the heck are they going to do about it? Make their own? Instead of ranting about the "import" problem, perhaps you have a brand or 2 you can suggest that can make our Gibson's "American" again? What if the wood is imported... We can go in a few directions here, but the fact will come down to this is something I wouldn't get bent out of shape on whatsoever unless it cost you specifically a job. Do you want to make tuners all day long in a factory? How much will you charge then... See where I'm going with this. Boils down to cost, plain and simple, and when you are a business, your premise is PROFIT - not genuine concern for humanity. And your location suggests you are from Canada... What do you care about US guitars and where they outsource their crap from anyways? Gibson's are imports to you if you reside in Canada. By your logic, shame on you for importing a US guitar...

I personally think that this is a ridiculous subject and the fact that you want to present an opinion and try to shame others' opinions because American guitars are made with import parts that no one finds to be a "conspiracy"... Am I correct here in this? Even if someone doesn't like this fact, what the heck are they going to do about it? Make their own? Instead of ranting about the "import" problem, perhaps you have a brand or 2 you can suggest that can make our Gibson's "American" again? What if the wood is imported... We can go in a few directions here, but the fact will come down to this is something I wouldn't get bent out of shape on whatsoever unless it cost you specifically a job. Do you want to make tuners all day long in a factory? How much will you charge then... See where I'm going with this. Boils down to cost, plain and simple, and when you are a business, your premise is PROFIT - not genuine concern for humanity. And your location suggests you are from Canada... What do you care about US guitars and where they outsource their crap from anyways? Gibson's are imports to you if you reside in Canada. By your logic, shame on you for importing a US guitar...

canadian guitars are now made in usa so ...

canadian guitars are now made in usa so ...

Blanket statement... To WHAT company or companies are you referring to? It helps your argument when you present evidence - especially for a rant will do nothing to change the world we live in. We are trying to help you out and let you know the world will still live on even if Gibson uses import parts.

Bottom line, I'm a guitar player. So long as the thing sounds good, I don't care where it is made. Call me whatever you want, shame me too, but you might as well direct this to a broader audience, because I think it is a safe bet to say we ALL have imported crap in our homes. Drive an auto? Don't get me started on the "foreign" help it probably imports to get the thing running.

Blanket statement... To WHAT company or companies are you referring to? It helps your argument when you present evidence - especially for a rant will do nothing to change the world we live in. We are trying to help you out and let you know the world will still live on even if Gibson uses import parts.

Bottom line, I'm a guitar player. So long as the thing sounds good, I don't care where it is made. Call me whatever you want, shame me too, but you might as well direct this to a broader audience, because I think it is a safe bet to say we ALL have imported crap in our homes. Drive an auto? Don't get me started on the "foreign" help it probably imports to get the thing running.

Larrivee USA and garrison was eaten...

Larrivee USA and garrison was eaten...

Yeah, I just don't think you are going to get the response you intended to receive here... No one will share as much passion about "import" stuff on guitars as you would like. I just see this topic come up plenty here and it's near 5 pages now. I think I have stated all my points here and I see where this is going. Good day to you jvi and I wish you well, I mean no disrespect. And I believe you are entitled to your opinion as well as to share it as I have - and others have.

Aren't Seagulls Canadian? Why are you not supporting your own country?

actually I own a couple import from asia guitars and dont mind them at all, dont like paying 2-3 grand for something USA made with imported parts not mentioned, I like guitars wherever they come from, my Ford is as much a mazda as it is a ford (once built in america) and I do prefer Canadian made when I can...then USA for somethings,used to drink french wine...slept in a mexican hammock too...type on an asian lap top...

Archived