Gibson Brands Forums

Hi From Reno, Texas

DaveKell

After having been on an Ovation, Taylor and Yairi exclusive forum, I figured I'd better join the one that represented one of the finest acoustics I've owned in 50 years. So here I am. The story of how I came to a Gibson: Last year a wealthy friend who died of cancer willed me his favorite guitar in his collection, a hand made Yairi super abalone he directly commissioned from Mr. Yairi in 1982. My friend was a collector of fine guitars and he maintained them all in pristine condition. The 36 year old Yairi had a luxurious matured voice that made me the envy at every jam session. Unfortunately, I was rear ended in June of this year while stopped in construction traffic on a highway. The glorious Yairi was severely crushed as was my wife's and my backs. The accident wasn't our fault and I'm due to have my second big spinal fusion surgery in December and after that my attorney will be getting us a settlement to the full limits of the at fault driver's coverage. At that time the Yairi will go to a highly respected restorer who worked 22 years in Martin's repair department.

Fortunately, I was able to quickly acquire another of my friend's guitars, a factory custom order Taylor GS. At the time I got it I didn't realize it had a cedar top. At my weekly jam session where previously the Yairi was heard above up to 8 or 10 other guitars, the Taylor couldn't really be heard at all. I found a guy advertising a limited edition custom shop advanced jumbo maple from 2016 he was willing to trade for another guitar. I called him and he was thrilled at the prospect of a Taylor as he was a collector like my friend. I said the Taylor is in immaculate condition and I'd only trade it for an equally pristine guitar. He assured me it had only been out of the case a couple times since 2016 as he wasn't fond of its "overly bright presence". I met up with him and was astounded at the beautiful Gibson he had. I was instantly afraid he wouldn't like the Taylor but he had already gotten its build sheet from the factory and readily agreed to the even trade, as did I.

Once again, at my weekly jam I was heard very well with this cannon. Not knowing anything about the AJ, I instantly was impressed with how I could go from fingerstyle to strumming to flatpicking and have one guitar that in no way disappointed in any of the styles. How on earth could one guitar be so versatile? I began researching it and was very proud of myself for making the trade after what I learned. The AJ in no way comes up short in comparison to the Yairi that I'll be having restored, mainly to make it survivor in tribute to my friend. An almost 3 year old guitar whose voice adequately compares with a 36 year old dread... I still can't believe my luck. I'd almost kick myself for never having considered a Gibson before in all these years! Although as a teenager I did from memory recall a few months I had what I think was a red burst Hummingbird 12 string if such a thing ever existed. I have no memory of whatever became of it... the 70's ya know?

Anyway, I'm writing tons of songs with this guitar and can quite honestly add that it's become my favorite guitar I've ever owned. I have no idea how the Yairi will sound after it's restored although the guy who will fix it said it should still be pretty much the same. I don't think the pics I sent him revealed the extent of the splits in the top, so we'll see. The AJ received its first ding in the top lower bout when someone's headstock contacted it at a recent jam. Its first mark that it's my guitar, the one my kids will fight over when I'm gone.

I have an old friend in town here who is good friends with Ren Ferguson. Ren is supposed to be coming here any time now to visit him for a few days and my friend said they'd stop by my house for a visit so I could get all my questions about the guitar answered. I think I'm more nervous about that upcoming meeting then am I about the prospect of getting to play a couple of my original songs for Billy Joe Shaver next month. Still trying to decide if I want both of them to autograph the top with a Sharpie, although Ren would probably pass since he was no longer with Gibson at the time. That's it for now. I feel like I'm in great company here!

Welcome to the Gibson forum Dave. msp_thumbup.gif Nice to have you here, Thats a wonderful story and everyone here are so kind and helpful. You are very lucky to get so great guitars. Get your required posts in and you can go to the lounge and post and talk to members. Theres very knowledgeable guitar players here.

Welcome to the Gibson forum Dave. msp_thumbup.gif Nice to have you here, Thats a wonderful story and everyone here are so kind and helpful. You are very lucky to get so great guitars. Get your required posts in and you can go to the lounge and post and talk to members. Theres very knowledgeable guitar players here.

You can bet I'm planning on being around a LOT!

You can bet I'm planning on being around a LOT!

Archived