Gibson Brands Forums

Seasonal Guitar Playing Habits

SteveFord

Living here in the NE the weather is pretty much turning to crap.

That's the time I take the Martin out of the case and pretty much switch over to acoustic.

There's something very comforting in this guitar and I love the way it sounds.

Once the weather turns nice again the Martin invariably gets put away and it's back to electrics (and the strings feel like overcooked spaghetti).

Does anyone else do this?

2EWXMXY.jpg

Oh boy! Sounds like you need the long form humidification/de-humidification lecture.

My old guitars sound awesome until about 70% humidity, then I push a button and a machine takes the room back to 60%. I'd never put my acoustics aside because of the weather. I'm in Cooperstown, so our weather is similar. Besides, I can't get any kind of decent sound out of an electric guitar. Never could.

Here in Oregon, we have huge seasonal changes in humidity. Very dry in the summer 30% or less sometimes. Winter is cold and wet, probably 80% or more. Inside the house it's obviously much less of a change due to HVAC. My guitars have seemed to stay pretty stable overall but minor truss rod adjustments are typically needed in early winter and late spring/early summer.

I only have electric guitars but in the winter time I do notice that one always has to be re adjusted. I have a very nice Carvin SC90 that I like alot. It really is my main player for the most part. But it will need adjusting from time to time on the truss rod especially when the weather goes haywire. My Ibanez seems to stay put no matter what the weather is doing. Way better than the rest I have. That has been my experience with bolt on guitars, they just seem to be more stable.

I don't switch to acoustic for the winter as such, but late in the year brings Thanksgiving and Xmas which means holiday family get togethers, and the acoustic comes out for those. My family has a tradition of singing holiday songs together so I tend to practice up a little more on acoustic at this time of year.

Right now since I just got a new acoustic of course it comes out everyday for a least a little while - have to play with the newest toy [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Here in London, it's pretty drafty but my guitars are well maintained.

I have them out in guitar wracks and stands. I tell a lie, I should, I have enough capacity to do that and that is essentially the plan, but my parlor guitar I had imported earlier this year lays about and gets a lot of play too.

They all get played/maintained, just, some guitars get played more than others.

I have no central heating and a hole in the roof with nobody to blame and or money to have it fixed or tools to fix it.

It looks cool and is home, but, damn. Drafty and elements, my guitars are alright, it's dry in here, no mold, just cold.

I do draft proof, 'tis November in England and all of that, not as cold or harsh as some places maybe, but, still cold.

Here in London, it's pretty drafty but my guitars are well maintained.

I have them out in guitar wracks and stands. I tell a lie, I should, I have enough capacity to do that and that is essentially the plan, but my parlor guitar I had imported earlier this year lays about and gets a lot of play too.

They all get played/maintained, just, some guitars get played more than others.

I have no central heating and a hole in the roof with nobody to blame and or money to have it fixed or tools to fix it.

It looks cool and is home, but, damn. Drafty and elements, my guitars are alright, it's dry in here, no mold, just cold.

I do draft proof, 'tis November in England and all of that, not as cold or harsh as some places maybe, but, still cold.

Damn man... Tell me at least you have some portable heaters about...

Maybe fix the hole in the roof before you buy your next guitar :)

I get out one of my guitars as the mood takes me. No special seasonal issues. My habit is to put them back into their case once finished except for an old beater I have, a Washburn F10S.

Don't really need humidifiers although I do have home made ones - sponges cut into rectangles placed inside zip lock bags. They seem to work OK.

Archived