Gibson Brands Forums

thinking about starting another band

nikko18

it would be a motorhead cover band at first, but may evolve to writing origional music depending on how it goes.

i am feeling pretty frustrated with my current band, the bassist is cool but just started learning bass a few months ago (although he is really good for such a short time, i will have to keep an eye on him). but the real thing that bugs me is his girl friend our rythm guitarist, she's one of my friends but at the same time bugs the hell out of me just because of the way she is. which really bugs me because she is very nice, just really annoying. and she wont try new things with guitar, she wont tune in anything other then standard tuning, only wants to play grunge and metal stuff mostly from the 90s (her favorite bands nirvana), and there's just alot of things.

and also we have band practice with their guitar teacher, which counts as a lesson. that's 15 dollars every band practice, 60 bucks a month. i cant afford that. it makes me and my parents go >:[

so i am going to try some new things, i am not going to drop out of the band right away, but i am going to start looking for a drummer and i may already have a bassist. and then we will need a place to practice.

any suggestions for band names? it will be a motorhead cover band at first (mostly anyways, we will probably do other things, but mostly motorhead).

i was thinking maybe Ace of Spades (it probably already been done though)

or maybe thunderhead, if we did thunderhead we could re work song like we are motor head and motorhead into we are thunderhead and thunderhead. just a cool idea

it would be a motorhead cover band at first' date=' but may evolve to writing origional music depending on how it goes.

i am feeling pretty frustrated with my current band, the bassist is cool but just started learning bass a few months ago (although he is really good for such a short time, i will have to keep an eye on him). but the real thing that bugs me is his girl friend our rythm guitarist, she's one of my friends but at the same time bugs the hell out of me just because of the way she is. which really bugs me because she is very nice, just really annoying. and [b']she wont try new things with guitar, she wont tune in anything other then standard tuning[/b], only wants to play grunge and metal stuff mostly from the 90s (her favorite bands nirvana), and there's just alot of things.

and also we have band practice with their guitar teacher, which counts as a lesson. that's 15 dollars every band practice, 60 bucks a month. i cant afford that. it makes me and my parents go >:[

so i am going to try some new things, i am not going to drop out of the band right away, but i am going to start looking for a drummer and i may already have a bassist. and then we will need a place to practice.

any suggestions for band names? it will be a motorhead cover band at first (mostly anyways, we will probably do other things, but mostly motorhead).

i was thinking maybe Ace of Spades (it probably already been done though)

or maybe thunderhead, if we did thunderhead we could re work song like we are motor head and motorhead into we are thunderhead and thunderhead. just a cool idea

That sucks alot. Thunderhead sounds to chessy. Just my thoguht.

Nikko it is a good thing that you are not leaving them just yet. Looking for a drummer (and I would advise to search a bassist as well, for several reasons) and a practice place is a good thinking.

Now... the thing is that you probably won't grow as a musician as much as you possibly could with this band. Your band must get the most out of you, you know? They have to push you over your limits so you can learn and grow as a musician.

And since you are having trouble with the girlfriend of your buddy, this sounds like headache.

But I might always be wrong.

sorry man, that sucks... hey at least you've made the first step in playing with people. Experiences are experiences, regardless of the positive or negative attributes they may have.

****, I wish i lived in your area! I have more custom and idiosyncratic tunings than i can count. I write a ton of stuff as well, lyrics and all. I'm wanting to go to college in Washington so if i ever move there, I'll have to look ya up... maybe we could try having a jam session type thing or something. Could be fun. I think I'm around your age too... (i'm 15)

I personally would look into trying another band. At the very least you can find some other options and create some other musical connections. It doesn't sound like you're having fun or getting anything positive out of your current band and that is one of the points to having a band.

Best of luck!

And yes Motorhead is very cool... no other like lemmy.

As far as names go, i'd look into some obscure motorhead song or reference. Or you could always go with kilmeister... :P

I don't think Thunderhead is too bad... better than cheesehead. Most cover bands have at least semi-silly names and that one isn't too bad. It's relevant too so that helps.

btw I thought you were more of a blues guy... What music do you like then? I mean motorhead isn't exactly what i would think of when thinking of SRV. ;)

EDIT: Hey why don't you and oilpit get together!!!! Man, I'd love to hear about that one... =D>#-o

harmonic chaos

it would be cool to jam with oilpit sometime, but i like just having one guitarist in the band (another reason my current one is frustrating). also i like the name "kilmiester" it's pretty good xD

as far as tuning goes, i don't play any really strange tunings, but she refuses to even tune a half step down which is how i like to play (sound cooler, imo. and makes it easier to solo).

and we should totally jam if you make it out here for college. i will probably still be in the area when you are graduated (saving money to travel and possibly move to nashville or california).

as far as playing goes i do really like blues, espeacilly SRV. he is my favorite guitarest, and even if i'm not playing the blues his style is in mine. there isn't really a blues scene where i live though, there aren't many people who would want to go see a blues band (mostly cause they don't really know what blues is). they want to ROCK!

m/ 0_0 m/

and motorhead stuff is also just fun to play and simple enough that i can figure it out by ear or just watching them play live on youtube.

harmonic chaos

it would be cool to jam with oilpit sometime' date=' but i like just having one guitarist in the band (another reason my current one is frustrating). also i like the name "kilmiester" it's pretty good xD

as far as tuning goes, i don't play any really strange tunings, but she refuses to even tune a half step down which is how i like to play (sound cooler, imo. and makes it easier to solo).

and we should totally jam if you make it out here for college. i will probably still be in the area when you are graduated (saving money to travel and possibly move to nashville or california).

as far as playing goes i do really like blues, espeacilly SRV. he is my favorite guitarest, and even if i'm not playing the blues his style is in mine. there isn't really a blues scene where i live though, there aren't many people who would want to go see a blues band (mostly cause they don't really know what blues is). they want to ROCK!

m/ 0_0 m/

and motorhead stuff is also just fun to play and simple enough that i can figure it out by ear or just watching them play live on youtube.[/quote']

I agree, I can't imagine how some bands who have 3 or more guitarists cope. I might be okay with having a rhythm guitarist or something but i'd probably prefer to just have one. I wouldn't mind be a bassist at all though... i'd probably be a decent one. I've played around in stores and i wasn't bad at all. I downtune a ton anyway and my tone is very bass guitar-y most of the time. I'm a weird guitarist and let's just leave it at that. I do play 'normal' when i feel like it though =D> cool, glad ya liked it.

Haha, i know that downtuning sounds cool! I actually don't play that heavy of music but i'm normally 2 full steps down and then i do weird droptunings and open tunings and stuff. I've made some really cool ones that are very deep and melancholy but at the same time, sound jangly and 12string-esque. One thing i would need in bandmates is the ability to be progressive... i like breaking and bending boundaries and trying new stuff so i bet she'd drive me bonkers. Inability to try new things is very frustrating to me.

Yeah, we'll have to try that sometime!

i think gibson should have a forum party were they bring every forum member to the gibson plant and have a big party!!! and every one can jam together!

they could totally do it, they would only need to fly a couple hundred people to tennesse, pay for their food, hotels, transportation and the party. why the heck not?

i think gibson should have a forum part were they brin every forum member to the gibson plant and have a big party!!! and every one can jam together!

they could totally do it' date=' they would only need to fly a couple hundred people to tennesse, pay for their food, hotels, transportation and the party. why the heck not?[/quote']

That sounds great!!!

you forgot beer though... they must provide complimentary beer as well!

(just kidding about the beer... kinda)

Archived