Gibson Brands Forums

60s neck on les paul std, when was this option introduced?

f1sh599

Yeah it's all kinda subjective anyways. Here is a picture comparison (60s neck on the left). According to this document it was in 2002 (later than I thought). Hmm, I'm looking around for a standard with a 60s neck before 2002 and all I see are custom shop ones. I can't believe that it was 2002 though, but maybe it really was...

Honestly, as an official option, I don't think it was earlier than 04. I'm just trying to get an exact model year. I'm a luthier and do repairs for over 20 guitar centers, store stock and customer guitars, and when I started doin the guitar center gig in 04, there were no standards with the 60s neck (at least with the option on the official paperwork).

Honestly' date=' as an official option, I don't think it was earlier than 04. I'm just trying to get an exact model year. I'm a luthier and do repairs for over 20 guitar centers, store stock and customer guitars, and when I started doin the guitar center gig in 04, there were no standards with the 60s neck (at least with the option on the official paperwork). [/quote']

I always thought being a luthier would be a fun job (not that I ever had the talent to be one though). So do you really enjoy playing around with all those guitars?

I did a google search on 2002 gibson standard les paul 60s neck and it seems as though that's when they started, but until we see one for sure you may be right. I can't find a used 2002 Standard with a 60s neck in my limited search...

My '88 LP Standard has a mahogany slim tapered 60's neck as well. It's quite a small, flat neck and at the same time it feels thick and very solid. I love it.

The '86 LP Standard I played had a wider neck and felt different. I thought that one had a 50's neck. Most new LP Standard Fadeds that I played with a 60's neck felt thinner and less solid compared to the 60's neck on my '88 LP Standard, but they are totally different animals anyway.

The neck (on a Les Paul) plays a very big part in how the instrument feels/plays. A great feeling neck can result in a better tone in the end if you feel comfortable with it.

I always thought being a luthier would be a fun job (not that I ever had the talent to be one though). So do you really enjoy playing around with all those guitars?

I did a google search on 2002 gibson standard les paul 60s neck and it seems as though that's when they started' date=' but until we see one for sure you may be right. I can't find a used 2002 Standard with a 60s neck in my limited search... [/quote']

Working on guitar center stock for the most part sucks. It's 90% fixing output jacks that got loose and some ****** in the store tried to tighten and snapped the wires or, setting up $50 strat pack and epiphones that the neck has been completely adjusted wrong by previously mention ****** GC staff. The fit and finish of gibsons really upsets me too. We get these $3000 guitars in more often than we should where the nut is shaved too low and the strings pop out of the slot, or they're have a loose or high fret.

The real joy is doing a restore on a 50s gretsch and making it a real working guitar again. Those of you that know gretsch guitars from the 50s would understand when I say every one is a proto type. They all have their quirks and sometimes the "engineering" is a little off.

Building custom pieces is by far the greatest part, but people are so hooked on brand names, and the economy has really reduced the want for custom work.

My '88 LP Standard has a mahogany slim tapered 60's neck as well. It's quite a small' date=' flat neck and at the same time it feels thick and very solid. I love it.[/quote']

Thanks for the information. It may have a 60s neck feel but we're trying to figure out the exact year Gibson formally introduced the 60s neck on the LP Standard, which is later than this. Any idea on that?

Thanks for the information. It may have a 60s neck feel but we're trying to figure out the exact year Gibson formally introduced the 60s neck on the LP Standard' date=' which is later than this. Any idea on that? [/quote']

Well, it doesn't only feel like a 60's neck, but it is a 60's neck. I don't know if the 60's neck came standard on the regular LP Standards back then, so I can't help you any further.

THE FINAL WORD ON THE MATTER.....

:-)

Seriously, it was 2002.

How do I know this?

Let me share my own personal story of heartbreak and triumph from the summer of 2001.

I got divorced in 1999-2000 and sold what little I had left in the way of guns and guitars to pay the bills.

I always hated the fat necks on my '86 & '93 LP Standards anyway, figured I would just buy a PRS if I ever got the cash.

I was at a guitar show in the Astrodome in Houston Texas, and this thing caught my eye all the way across the hall.

Figured it was some vintage/pricey thing I couldn't afford but it looked better than any LP in the place.

Perfect top and paint for a burst fan like me (my Standards were both black) so I walked over to look at it and the guy starts his sales pitch.... yadda, yadda, yadda..... slim 60 taper neck ....... blah, blah, blah.....

Wait a minute. Did you say slim neck?

Well, turns out the Classic Plus is a bit of a rarity with a much nicer top than any of the regular Classics.

Also, it didn't have the goofy "1960" pickguard on it - no guard at all to show off the top.

Lastly, the inlays didn't look snot green like some of the Classics have.

Ceramic pickups?

No big deal, I'll just swap 'em if I don't like 'em.

(Smart move)

So, the guitar listed for $4,500 but they would make me a SMOKIN' DEAL at the show because they had to move it.

Seems all the Les Paul guys wanted the bigger neck profile and they couldn't sell this one, especially with the price tag.

So they came down to $2,500 at the end of the day and I grabbed it.

Remember, new Standard was almost a grand less at this time.....

Okay, so a couple months later I'm talking to Gibson Customer Service about different pickups and I mention the price of the guitar and the guy says "Yeah, they were kinda pricey. List on yours was $3,700."

(Heavy sigh....)

Okay, so it wasn't such a smokin' deal after all. 1/3 off list is a good street price on any guitar.

Well, I paid alot for it but it looks cool and it has a SLIM NECK.

Can't get that on just any old Les Paul, eh?

Or can you?

Well, when the new models came out for 2002 Gibson was offering a choice of neck profiles on the Standard.

I could get my exact same guitar in a Standard (assuming I found as nice a top) for less than $2k out the door.

Grrrrrrrr......

Trust me.

I know EXACTLY when the slim neck became a regular production option.

Thanks Rocketman!

A picture the slim tapered 60's neck on my '88 LP Standard:

It's hard to capture on pictures' date=' but you can see it's a small and flat neck.[/quote']

Yeah Bram, it's tough to capture visually.

Actual measurements in Gibson literature indicate there's less than 1/10th of an inch difference in thickness.

Something like .080" if I recall...

Add slightly different curvature to the neck carve and it's almost imperceptible.

I have to wrap my hand around the neck to tell.

I'm a big guy with big hands, but I still prefer a skinny neck.

People laugh at me when I tell 'em, I guess it's because of my size.

I have a Rickenbacker with a SUPER skinny neck, and slim taper on all my Gibsons.

Archived