Gibson Brands Forums

Stop Bar vs. Tune-a-Matic

darling67

Ok, so…

I recently posted about my GAS for the 2019 SG Special. Obviously, it does not have the Tune-a-matic bridge—which is an oddity for me, as every Gibson electric guitar I've owned has had some form of bridge piece in front of the tailpiece.

I don't mind the "look" of it, however. But I am curious as to whether or not the playability or tone is any different with the strings strung sans bridge. A friend of mine recently strung his SG (which has a bridge) by feeding the strings through the front of the tailpiece, and wrapped around—like you would a guitar without a bridge. He claimed it played differently that way.

Any insights, experiences would be much appreciated.

The tone difference between the two is a source of slap fighting among internet experts.

Intonation on the wrap around can be a touch wonky especially on a wound vs unwound “G” string, but there are compensated bridges available. It’s kind like the difference between a 3 barrel telecaster bridge and a 6 saddle. (I prefer the 3 barrel)

I like the wrap around personally, but they are harder to come by. I think they have the cleanest look.

“Top wrapping” a tuna-matic is fine and dandy, but using a flathead screwdriver and elevating the tailpiece has the same effect. (Prepare for more internet slap fighting)

The stop bar tailpiece as on the 52 LP is ok, but there are adjustable versions and compensated versions available now. Gibson have never really advanced their designs.

They led with the Les Paul and have sat on it since. The wraparound version, Bonamassa style, is supposed to make bending easier and it stops some problems with string angle to bridge. I have no personal preference as I play whatever I pick up.

It's been my personal experience that the type of bridge don't matter....it really does come down to the quality of that one instrument ...I have had some real dogs come and go ( both types of bridges )...that being said I believe that a stop bar style has to be a quality build for it to be good ( feel ,intonation etc ) where as a tune a matic can compensate for a crappy build ( to some degree)...personally I will take a good quality stop bar anyday ..well, as long as it has decent pups in it.msp_thumbup.gif

Ok, so…

I recently posted about my GAS for the 2019 SG Special. Obviously, it does not have the Tune-a-matic bridge—which is an oddity for me, as every Gibson electric guitar I've owned has had some form of bridge piece in front of the tailpiece.

I don't mind the "look" of it, however. But I am curious as to whether or not the playability or tone is any different with the strings strung sans bridge. A friend of mine recently strung his SG (which has a bridge) by feeding the strings through the front of the tailpiece, and wrapped around—like you would a guitar without a bridge. He claimed it played differently that way.

Any insights, experiences would be much appreciated.

Huh? Bridge piece in front of the tailpiece?

Never tried the wraparound thing... The strings touch the bridge on my Tribute, so I considered it for a minute. I decided in favor of sanity.

Huh? Bridge piece in front of the tailpiece?

Never tried the wraparound thing... The strings touch the bridge on my Tribute, so I considered it for a minute. I decided in favor of sanity.

Not sure how he did it. But it worked for him.

Archived